Keiren Westwood

Not fawning, but on his day the best keeper in the Championship.

I, personally, always felt more confident when he was selected.

For me , Carson was outstanding in his short time here.

Hodge was the most consistent over a long period.

However, Ron Springett was and always will be the best ever Wednesday keeper 

3 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Not fawning, but on his day the best keeper in the Championship.

I, personally, always felt more confident when he was selected.

For me , Carson was outstanding in his short time here.

Hodge was the most consistent over a long period.

However, Ron Springett was and always will be the best ever Wednesday keeper 

Spot On Ibbo!  Ron Springett was the best Wednesday Goalkeeper,  since the late 1950s.  I can't speak for the years prior to that.  I'd say Martin Hidge was very good over quite a few years and was unlucky never to play for England.

We certainly need a new first choice 'keeper for next season, as the two  left on the books now are not up to the required standard.

Enjoyed watching his performances in most of his career with us. Kept us in many a game and a top class keeper in his day. Age and injury caught up with him at the end but thanks for the many memorable clean sheets, and good luck for the future.

• Like 2

I wonder what he’ll do now? Can’t see him bothering to get another contract at another club on quarter of his recent wages to play week in week out but he might be tempted if some club wants to pay him good money to sit on the bench as backup. He knocking on a bit but he’s still got a year or two left in him I’d guess. Coaching might be the way forward. Or doing sweet fizz all and spending his millions. 

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Correct decision moving him on.

Too injury prone and plenty of signs this season he was past his best.

If I read a post saying he was a 'Great Servant' I will scream.

Matt the 'monk'fish obviously. 

He could have played in a straight jacket and out performed Dawson and Wildsmith. 

You can plot the down turn in form with Westwood missing from the team...   Would have loved to have kept a keeper of Westwoods ability but with his injury record and I am guessing high wages as a league one club we cant afford to keep him.  

Really hope we get someone else in as Wildsmith and Dawson I am not sure are even good enough for league one.

Wish Westwood all the best and hope he gets a championship job..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Of the players you quote, only Turner (and maybe Grant) have been voted player of the season. Westwood won it twice. Even if you look at their average finishing league position whilst at the club, there isnt really a goalkeeper, except Woods who did better. From memory I also think Westwood holds the clean sheets record for the club. Based on those facts and taken into account the team he played in, there’s an argument he’s actually been a goalkeeper who contributed most to the team whilst he was in the side. I’m not saying I take that view, clearly some of those players you mentioned are better goalkeepers, but the first 4 played predominantly in the Premiership. However, because we’ve been relegated, Westwood now gets labelled as being less effective and influential than he was, especially in his first 3 seasons at the club. In those years, with the right recruitment and the odd tweak, Westwood would have been part not a team that got us back to the Premiership, sadly we failed to fill the shortfalls we had further up the pitch, but it wasn’t the goalkeeping department where we needed any change at all. How different fans would view him if that had happened, yet that is something totally out of his control. 

I remember plenty of fans saying he was better than Kasper Schmeichel at one point! Most argued that he was the best goalie in the Championship.

By the way, I’ll chuck in Martin Hodge as being better than Westwood too, but Crossley wasn’t (what a goal though) close, though he did nothing wrong. 

Exactly right.

KW has been an outstanding keeper for us. Hed be in my top 3 SW keepers of watching Wednesday over nearly 50 years

33 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I wonder what he’ll do now? Can’t see him bothering to get another contract at another club on quarter of his recent wages to play week in week out but he might be tempted if some club wants to pay him good money to sit on the bench as backup. He knocking on a bit but he’s still got a year or two left in him I’d guess. Coaching might be the way forward. Or doing sweet fizz all and spending his millions. 

I wondered if somewhere on his doorstep, ie Preston/Blackburn, or maybe slightly further afield and to his old side Coventry? Suppose it depends if there’s any goalkeeper movement in the window 

He had no interest in signing for a club away from home when he would have got big £ let alone now

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

I would argue that Turner, Pressman, Srnicek, Woods were better than Westwood.

Then you could add into the mix the likes of Mark Crossley (our oldest ever goalscorer!) and Lee Grant.  

I've not included a few keepers who were on loan.

Sorry Rumbelows, I know you are usually on the money, but on this one - you are wide of the mark.

May be my memory, but I cannot think of many games when the keepers listed here were the different in winning and losing. 

Woods (argh) made some right changers, and Pressman was in goals for some of our most embarrassing drubbings 

• Like 1

He was a fantastic keeper.

I think some of the other names mentioned on here as better than him are being vastly overrated. He commanded his area better than Grant, made a lot less stupid errors than Pressman, was much more mobile than Crossley and wasn't afraid of crosses like Srnicek.

In my era (1990 onwards) I'd rate only Woods as a better keeper.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

He was a fantastic keeper.

I think some of the other names mentioned on here as better than him are being vastly overrated. He commanded his area better than Grant, made a lot less stupid errors than Pressman, was much more mobile than Crossley and wasn't afraid of crosses like Srnicek.

In my era (1990 onwards) I'd rate only Woods as a better keeper.

Woods made plenty of mistakes 

2 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Woods made plenty of mistakes 

I don't think he made that many, just unfortunately he tended to make them in the biggest games. So you could make a case for Westwood being better - his biggest 5 games, the 5 playoff games, I don't remember him putting a foot wrong in those. 

Westwood was a very good keeper for us, probably our best since the days of Pressman. In my lifetime Pressman, Hodge and Turner have been our stand out keepers but our all time greatest is arguably Ron Springett. In my opinion Kevin Pressman's the only one since that's come even close to the greatness of Springett. 

• Like 3

I think Westwood was a great goalkeeper for us. Odd few ******** ups. But commanded back four. 

I think Chris woods was also excellent at the same thing. His balls up in 1-3 v pigs didn't help him. 

Pressman was my favourite. Simply for his performance s against pigs. He was just immense. Plus the penalty v wolves. 

Scott Carson wasn't here long and I did think he'd go onto better things.