Keiren Westwood

Westwood has been good, mostly.  He's also had some bad periods.

Pressman was class in the top flight, you cannot deny that.

Srnicek was class in the 2nd tier for us, as was Pressman too.

I'm not buying these apples, sorry.    Westwood has been good for us in the 2nd tier on the main.   Not totally.   

Edited by Salmonbones
  • Like 2

Just now, Salmonbones said:

Westwood has been good, mostly.  He's also had some bad periods.

Pressman was class in the top flight, you cannot deny that.

Srnicek was class in the 2nd tier for us, as was Pressman too.

I'm not buying these apples, sorry.  

I dont think Srnicek played in the 2nd tier for us, IIRC has was released in 2000 when were relegated from the Premier League.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont think Srnicek played in the 2nd tier for us, IIRC has was released in 2000 when were relegated from the Premier League.

I may be remembering wrong - but he was still a class keeper for us, just a tier above what I remember!    And may I add, sadly  no longer with us.

Edited by Salmonbones

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Correct decision moving him on.

Too injury prone and plenty of signs this season he was past his best.

If I read a post saying he was a 'Great Servant' I will scream.

Wouldn't disagree, but still a very, very good keeper for us and we shot ourselves in the foot not playing him when he's been available.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Wouldn't disagree, but still a very, very good keeper for us and we shot ourselves in the foot not playing him when he's been available.

How have we shot ourselves in the foot?

Westwoods decision making was atrocious. His positional awareness was not much better.

I don't trust keepers who come steaming out of their box neither.

But he was generally an excellent keeper who I can't help but think could have had a more illustrious career with a different attitude and more disciplined style.

We'll not miss him though, because like a lot of the squad his head hasn't really been in the game lately.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

How have we shot ourselves in the foot?

I'd say by making Dawson first choice keeper when a far better keeper,  Westwood, was frozen out for some reason. 

Westwood saves us more points in a season the Dawson would/could, and therefore contributed to our downturn in results and ending up in Monk losing his job. So I'd say that was Monk shooting himself in the foot, or cutting his nose off to spite his face at the very least. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bing Cosby said:

Pressman was a better keeper than Westwood. He also spent plenty of time being number 2 waiting to get his chance, rather than being obsessed with his own self importance.

Kieran Westwood was a top championship goalkeeper a few seasons ago, but I've always found the fauning over him slightly nauseating... It says far more about the state of our club in the last 20 years than it does about his abilities IMHO.

I would argue that Turner, Pressman, Srnicek, Woods were better than Westwood.

Then you could add into the mix the likes of Mark Crossley (our oldest ever goalscorer!) and Lee Grant.  

I've not included a few keepers who were on loan.

Sorry Rumbelows, I know you are usually on the money, but on this one - you are wide of the mark.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I thought Westwood was an odd signing as Kirkland was going very well for us at the time.

It didn’t take long to see Westwood’s quality though.

He was excellent in the Carlos era & instrumental in our 2 record breaking seasons for clean sheets.

Every decent manager that’s been here has selected Westwood when fit.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Gave me more confidence than any other Wednesday keeper I can remember, and that includes Pressman.

His omission at various stages of the last few seasons had played a big part in our demise. 

Hope he goes on to finish his career with a successful season or two.

Also, I will really miss his hair

Was always head and shoulders above the rest

6 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I would argue that Turner, Pressman, Srnicek, Woods were better than Westwood.

Then you could add into the mix the likes of Mark Crossley (our oldest ever goalscorer!) and Lee Grant.  

I've not included a few keepers who were on loan.

Sorry Rumbelows, I know you are usually on the money, but on this one - you are wide of the mark.

Of the players you quote, only Turner (and maybe Grant) have been voted player of the season. Westwood won it twice. Even if you look at their average finishing league position whilst at the club, there isnt really a goalkeeper, except Woods who did better. From memory I also think Westwood holds the clean sheets record for the club. Based on those facts and taken into account the team he played in, there’s an argument he’s actually been a goalkeeper who contributed most to the team whilst he was in the side. I’m not saying I take that view, clearly some of those players you mentioned are better goalkeepers, but the first 4 played predominantly in the Premiership. However, because we’ve been relegated, Westwood now gets labelled as being less effective and influential than he was, especially in his first 3 seasons at the club. In those years, with the right recruitment and the odd tweak, Westwood would have been part not a team that got us back to the Premiership, sadly we failed to fill the shortfalls we had further up the pitch, but it wasn’t the goalkeeping department where we needed any change at all. How different fans would view him if that had happened, yet that is something totally out of his control. 

I remember plenty of fans saying he was better than Kasper Schmeichel at one point! Most argued that he was the best goalie in the Championship.

By the way, I’ll chuck in Martin Hodge as being better than Westwood too, but Crossley wasn’t (what a goal though) close, though he did nothing wrong. 

• Like 1