Wednesday 0 Colchester 3 - 7th August 2004

I remember it well.

I won’t forget the bloke in the North Stand who threw his season ticket on the pitch on his way out the ground.

I used to wonder, did he get it back, and did he get a ticket for Cardiff?! 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bradowl said:

Pre season we played in Copa de Ibiza playing Preston and Watford and whilst there me and a few mates had a drink with Chris Turner, he was convinced that the team he had assembled would get us promoted, he was right though it didn't work out as planned. 

Like today he had a right old clear out of squad during summer with some of players released surprising a lot of supporters, especially players like Derek Geary and Alan Quinn who were fans favourites back then. 

Got to admire his confidence. Think he also said we'd be in Europe within 5 years when he was appointed.

I mean, I suppose he had a point, Wrexham is in Europe....

8 hours ago, George said:

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-colchester-united-07-august-2004-24780/

9 debutants starting plus 2 off the bench. The summer clear out didn't work as planned. Indeed if took half a season and a change of manager to get them going as a team.

The Kop singing "different ********, same old Wednesday" to the tune of the Pompey Chimes.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the current lot of ******** have gone but it's going to be pretty tough to rebuild in one summer.

Think no matter what, Darren Moore and his staff need time. Eventually they might get it right and kickstart things but it's going to take time to rebuild, address our numerous issues on and off the pitch, whilst getting points or showing some direction. After the previous few years and last season's shambles on and off the pitch, I'd just like to see some forward long term thinking and a semblance of a plan. 

Turner was a great scout. Collins McLean Brunt Whelan they were very good players to spot. Problem was he was not a very good manager, Sturrock was and he got them lot playing very well when he came in.

Now i think Moore has got what it takes to get us playing well, and if he is backed with players that can play his was I think he'll have them ready for the season but its not gonna be us running away with it from the off its gonna take time. And there are a lot of If's in there.

• Like 1

Was a really hot day that day too. I remember being sat at front of kop in the sun. 

Awful depressing match and result, but it shows you can't judge a season on the opening match. 

Not to draw a parallel, but didn't those from across the city have a bad first match in their promotion season in L1? Sometimes a game like that can be turned into a positive...eventually. 

19 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Yes, incredible run between December & February P 16 W12 D3 L1

The win at Hull certainly got us over the line as it was the only win in the last 9 games

So lucky to win 12 out of the last 16 when basically we were s**t if other posters are to be believed.  Never deserve owt - we're Wednesday....

13 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Think no matter what, Darren Moore and his staff need time. Eventually they might get it right and kickstart things but it's going to take time to rebuild, address our numerous issues on and off the pitch, whilst getting points or showing some direction. After the previous few years and last season's shambles on and off the pitch, I'd just like to see some forward long term thinking and a semblance of a plan. 

Odds on a lot in the first match will be young Sheffield lads who need support, not moans and groans from the terraces.  Might be the making of us - the previous way hasn't been, so what will we have to lose?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hangonrose said:

So lucky to win 12 out of the last 16 when basically we were s**t if other posters are to be believed.  Never deserve owt - we're Wednesday....

We didn't, we won 3 out of the last 12 and scraped over the line.

We lost our final game at home to Bristol City who would have overtaken us if we hadn't have won at Hull in the previous game.

On 21/05/2021 at 02:04, bradowl said:

Pre season we played in Copa de Ibiza playing Preston and Watford and whilst there me and a few mates had a drink with Chris Turner, he was convinced that the team he had assembled would get us promoted, he was right though it didn't work out as planned. 

Like today he had a right old clear out of squad during summer with some of players released surprising a lot of supporters, especially players like Derek Geary and Alan Quinn who were fans favourites back then. 

have to say Turner could spot a bargain for sure just couldn't coach one 😂

Didn’t Norwich lose 7-1 at home to Colchester on the opening day (maybe a couple of years after) 

sacked Bryan Gunn and got promoted that season under Paul Lambert I think.

Edited by rawowl

3 hours ago, rawowl said:

Didn’t Norwich lose 7-1 at home to Colchester on the opening day (maybe a couple of years after) 

sacked Bryan Gunn and got promoted that season under Paul Lambert I think.

Yes. The Paul Lambert who was managing Colchester that day lol