Wednesday 0 Colchester 3 - 7th August 2004

https://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-wednesday-v-colchester-united-07-august-2004-24780/

9 debutants starting plus 2 off the bench. The summer clear out didn't work as planned. Indeed if took half a season and a change of manager to get them going as a team.

The Kop singing "different ********, same old Wednesday" to the tune of the Pompey Chimes.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the current lot of ******** have gone but it's going to be pretty tough to rebuild in one summer.

• Thanks 1

i can clearly remember this game went with the usual first match of the season buzz about, part way through the game I'm thinking "hang on Colchester are battering us here" the three late goals just added to the general shock.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We also ended that season being promoted.

You're right, but we were also bobar for a lot of it. My main memory of that season is being propped up by Kenwyne Jones and an Adam Proudlock hot streak between December and January, and then hanging on for deal life before limping over the line with that win at Hull. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd take that right now for this rebuild, but still. 

22 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

You're right, but we were also bobar for a lot of it. My main memory of that season is being propped up by Kenwyne Jones and an Adam Proudlock hot streak between December and January, and then hanging on for deal life before limping over the line with that win at Hull. 

Not to mention the massive stroke of luck in the final with the red card and penalty. 

Could do with some of that again next season. 

Guest Jack the Hat

Remember it well. We seemed to do some great recruitment on the face of it in the summer as well. However, the core of the squad now is far better than it was then.

23 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yeah we really scraped over the line that season in truth but hit form again in the playoffs.

I remember losing 3-0 to Hartlepool near end of season thinking playoffs were blown.

Guest Jack the Hat
Just now, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Yeah we really scraped over the line that season in truth but hit form again in the playoffs.

I remember losing 3-0 to Hartlepool near end of season thinking playoffs were blown.

Yeah were were lucky. Aside from when Penguin jones played we were dire the entire season. An unexpected last gasp goal from Quinn away at Champions Hull and two good performances against Brentford were all we managed. Jones was the key though. We played our best games in the Play offs but were still lucky in the final. Glad were going up automatically this season.

12 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Who played Hartlepool in the other semi-final? Was it Tranmere?? Whoever it was, I recall them being the form team at the time, and was relieved when Hartlepool beat them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Yes, incredible run between December & February P 16 W12 D3 L1

The win at Hull certainly got us over the line as it was the only win in the last 9 games

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

Yeah were were lucky. Aside from when Penguin jones played we were dire the entire season. An unexpected last gasp goal from Quinn away at Champions Hull and two good performances against Brentford were all we managed. Jones was the key though. We played our best games in the Play offs but were still lucky in the final. Glad were going up automatically this season.

Penguin Jones 😆

Pre season we played in Copa de Ibiza playing Preston and Watford and whilst there me and a few mates had a drink with Chris Turner, he was convinced that the team he had assembled would get us promoted, he was right though it didn't work out as planned. 

Like today he had a right old clear out of squad during summer with some of players released surprising a lot of supporters, especially players like Derek Geary and Alan Quinn who were fans favourites back then.