Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Why just a one year extension in the summer for a player who’d already broke into the first team picture?

What on earth is the point of that? Offer him 2/3 year deal and see how he develops. He won’t be asking for the world. 

he had played 4 first team games at that point. 2 he looked decent, 2 he was absolutely terrible in. His career to that point included being released by Wimbledon. There wasn't much to suggest he warranted a 2-year deal. He should have been offered a deal which saw us have first option if he reached a certain number of appearances. As I said, I agree we blundered. However, having seen how the club is run for a year and knowing from inside where the club is heading, he might have backed himself and turned down a longer contract in the belief he would have better options this summer once he had got into the team a bit more. 

The quality of United’s youngsters compared to ours over the years; we are light years apart. 

Ours go on to be subs for league 1 clubs; there’s go on to win England caps and play at the very top for years. 

Our status matches our youth set up, league one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

At some point if we want to get the very best youngsters we have got to invest in the facilities and coaches that will attract them and give them the best chance to succeed. The competition for the signatures of the most promising youth players is very very stiff. There’s no point having a youth set up at all if very few make it to the team. But if we don’t we will left behind. I have no faith in DC but pray someone can persuade him that having a proper first class youth set up will pay dividends in the future. 
But even with all the investment in the world academies are still a gamble. But it’s one we probably have to take. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Hirst could have played for the first team by now, Clare would have got games for us had he stayed, Osaze was originally signed to the academy and got into the first team, Wildsmith and Dawson, Palmer, Penney, Hunt could still come through, Brennan is in the squad, Galvin broke through this season, Grant was sold for a fee. 

There aren't that many teams with a host of players in their first team that are products of their own under 18's teams. 

It isn't great but it is improving from what was complete neglect in previous eras. I don't think shutting it down is the answer given that more players have broken into the first team reckoning more recently. 

Coulda Woulda Shoulda. United have produced international players. We haven't produced anything that gets anywhere near that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

The quality of United’s youngsters compared to ours over the years; we are light years apart. 

Ours go on to be subs for league 1 clubs; there’s go on to win England caps and play at the very top for years. 

Our status matches our youth set up, league one

Our youth system was on the floor when players like Walker, Maguire and Naughton were breaking through at United - they put a lot of resource into the academy and built up a reputation. It is a while since they had such profitable and successful players break through but that reputation adds to their stature. 

If you are a parent of a young kid who has an opportunity to develop locally do you join the academy that has produced England players or the one which nurtured a Scotland squad player a decade ago? 

My lad played for youth teams in North Sheffield for years. Not high up the league ladder so less likely to get spotted but United spoke to his coaches, watched a few of his games and spoke to me about him. Never got told that Wednesday had watched any of his teams games. They seem to cast their net far wider so have more of a chance.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Coulda Woulda Shoulda. United have produced international players. We haven't produced anything that gets anywhere near that.

Agreed, they have a far better set up, built on foundations they put into developing it many many years ago and have earned a reputation based on this that will be difficult to better. We have at least improved on what we used to do in respect of the academy, it won't happen overnight that's for sure.

As soon as we started giving them opportunities few of them did enough to impress clubs higher up the food chain. If we started doing it earlier I'm sure that more of our U-18 and U-23 players would made careers in the game for themselves.

I think that we often get some decent players to both of these squads, but problem was that there was never defined route to first team football. There was always something to play for and youngsters were never deemed ready enough to take responsibility. Hope this will change next season under Moore.

If some of these players can step up and offer cover for first team regulars it will save us a lot in signing on fees and wages and who knows, maby one or two will do so well to make starting spots their own.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Decent u18 campaigns doesn't translate into producing for the first team. We are a mile off and should either put more effort into it or close it down. It's more like a zombie academy existing for the benefit of providing opposition for other academies or somewhere for cast offs for players deemed not good enough for other clubs.

TBF that's a great description - zombie academy

Too many academies sadly fit that description too

The PL has killed academy football in many ways by trying to be elitist and making it simple for the big, rich clubs to sign who they like

It's almost worthless a lot of clubs having an academy - i'm surprised more haven't been moved into the charitable trust arm of clubs - so they aren't directly funded by the clubs

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

he had played 4 first team games at that point. 2 he looked decent, 2 he was absolutely terrible in. His career to that point included being released by Wimbledon. There wasn't much to suggest he warranted a 2-year deal. He should have been offered a deal which saw us have first option if he reached a certain number of appearances. As I said, I agree we blundered. However, having seen how the club is run for a year and knowing from inside where the club is heading, he might have backed himself and turned down a longer contract in the belief he would have better options this summer once he had got into the team a bit more. 

I’m sorry but it seems to be DC’s policy that he gives our young lads 1 year deals. It makes no sense to me and it ultimately just putting our best young players in the shop window.

Osaze on a 2/3 year deal probably costs LESS than Izzy Browns wages for a year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Are any good enough for more than one year extensions?

We will never know as we let their contracts run out and see then leave for nowt  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Our youth system was on the floor when players like Walker, Maguire and Naughton were breaking through at United - they put a lot of resource into the academy and built up a reputation. It is a while since they had such profitable and successful players break through but that reputation adds to their stature. 

If you are a parent of a young kid who has an opportunity to develop locally do you join the academy that has produced England players or the one which nurtured a Scotland squad player a decade ago? 

My lad played for youth teams in North Sheffield for years. Not high up the league ladder so less likely to get spotted but United spoke to his coaches, watched a few of his games and spoke to me about him. Never got told that Wednesday had watched any of his teams games. They seem to cast their net far wider so have more of a chance.

Calvert-Lewin is probably their most recent; but going back further than the guys you mentioned, Jagielka had a great career also. 

in a city the size of Sheffield; how could we not picked at least one decent player. 

2 hours ago, malek said:

Any chance of us starting 17 year old ?

They had nothing to lose to be fair.

I don’t think you can say we don’t give our young players a chance, it’s just that our production line is pure garbage. 

22 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We will never know as we let their contracts run out and see then leave for nowt  

Well we actually do know

How many pitch up elsewhere and have careers that mean we wished we'd kept them?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Why just a one year extension in the summer for a player who’d already broke into the first team picture?

What on earth is the point of that? Offer him 2/3 year deal and see how he develops. He won’t be asking for the world. 

How on earth do you know what his wage demands are? We offered to make the next big thing George Hirst the highest paid player in academy history and that wasn’t good enough. He has been made an offer it’s down to him whether he accepts it 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Ramsdale, Brooks and Calvert Lewin have all come through since those you mentioned. Even selling the likes of Jordan Slew for a decent fee and the German clubs are already looking at Jebbison. While some of United's academy players might could end up at Juventus the most ours can hope for is ending up at Fray Bentos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

How on earth do you know what his wage demands are? We offered to make the next big thing George Hirst the highest paid player in academy history and that wasn’t good enough. He has been made an offer it’s down to him whether he accepts 

Exactly 

It's always the clubs fault 

Players turn down contracts all the time 

From not enough money to not enough bonuses 

People think its like football manager where you agree to the players every demand ,its laughable

• Like 2

Lets have a bit of context here

"Come through the academy" is a bit of an exaggeration really.. David Brookes spent 10 years in Manchester city's academy,  Jebbison joined the pigs 3 years ago from a Canadian academy

And the jewel in the crown, the pigs sold Ramsdale for £800, 000 and bought him back for £18.5 million

Let that sink in.....this fantastic academy system sells a kid for 800k and buys him back for 18.5 million 3 years later

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dot said:

Lets have a bit of context here

"Come through the academy" is a bit of an exaggeration really.. David Brookes spent 10 years in Manchester city's academy,  Jebbison joined the pigs 3 years ago from a Canadian academy

And the jewel in the crown, the pigs sold Ramsdale for £800, 000 and bought him back for £18.5 million

Let that sink in.....this fantastic academy system sells a kid for 800k and buys him back for 18.5 million 3 years later

Well, if Manchester United could do it for lot more money..