FA Cup final tomorrow

1 minute ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Once the biggest match of the season. Now it's more important to finish 17th. Even for the top sides it's more important to finish fourth. Thanks, Sky.

They were talking on talksport “would Leicester fans rather qualify for champions league or win the FA cup” as though they’re in some way as desirable. Nowhere near it for me

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Leicester - Chelsea

Hope Leicester win it

I think it's staggering how little we hear of the FA cup final these days. Was surprised to find it's tomorrow

I was driving down the M40 the other day coming up to M25 junction and there was an information board saying to expect delays on 15th May - event at Wembley

I didn't even realise what the event was

I used to adore the FA Cup - given the choice back in 93 i'd have much rather have the cup than win the league for eg

Like most of corporate football i find it increasingly difficult to maintain such interest now

• Like 2

Used to love the cups back in the day when football was about actually winning stuff and not just about getting in the top 4 and trousering as much money as possible, back then even the 3rd round had a magic feeling to it 

The final though was always a showpiece to end the season. The build up was great, the players leaving the hotels, the coverage of the coaches approaching Wembley, fans going mad outside with flags and balloons, now it’s just meh and has been for the last 15 years or so 

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

One of the main reasons it used to be such an "event" was this and England v Scotland in the home internationals , plus maybe the odd crucial international qualifier were the only games that were screened live.

You can watch a live game virtually every day now, so it just becomes "another game"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

One of the main reasons it used to be such an "event" was this and England v Scotland in the home internationals , plus maybe the odd crucial international qualifier were the only games that were screened live.

You can watch a live game virtually every day now, so it just becomes "another game"

Exactly,  used to be unique and important for so many reasons.

*  One of the only live games you could see on T V.

*  One of the very few ways a team could get to play in Europe ( Cup winners Cup)

* Final game of the season 

* Often an underdog to support.

I could name you the winners from 1974 - 1995, but not much after. 

The Champions League killed it , basically,  along with Sky T.V. money. 

There's not even the magic of the cup any more for a lower league team who draw a 'big boy' in the 3rd round, as the top teams just play a bunch of kids now until the semi final.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

But did they like It's a knockout 🤣🤣🤣

They set us up with German pen friends when I was at school. I bored the poor sod that got me with It’s a knockout.

Nothing in common, and didn’t want to mention the war!

• Haha 1