FFP has a lot to answer for

4 hours ago, crookesowl said:

It’s absolutely crippled us. 

Yes we have an incompetent owner but the money he wanted to invest (but couldn’t) would have easily got us promoted before FFP. 

All those clubs in the PL should count themselves lucky they don’t have to deal with this poo . 

We get a 6 point deduction for trying to invest in the club. Arsenal, Spurs et al get a 5% fine on just one of their income lines for trying to start a coup. Fvxking pathetic. 

Football is rotten and we are now a textbook example at the wrong end. 

He's had ample opportunity to invest in areas that aren't controlled by FFP, that would be having a positive impact on the club by now, and he hasn't.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Blaming FFP for our relegation is like someone who shopped at Debenhams blaming the local sandwich shop for Debenhams in town closing 

Stop looking for excuses, reasons, things to blame 

This one is purely, simply and ONLY our chairmans doing 

You really don’t like him do you?

but you know FFP is a joke designed to keep the Premier League cartel secure with its parasitic hold on the lower leagues unchecked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

While I’m not sure the FFP rules are particularly helpful for football or achieve what they are intended to achieve they are the rules. I also dont think the UK tax system is fit for purpose but if I don’t follow it I pay the fines. The speed limits on motorways don’t make sense either. It should  be 80 IMO. But if I speed I get the points. That’s how rules work. You break them you are punished. Agreeing with them isn’t as important as following them. 
Chansiri gambled and lost. The price is demotion. There are no ‘no lose’ gambles. 
What happens next is absolutely critical for our clubs long term future. DC has to sell or change. Or this will just be the start. 

So true. I favour an 80mph variable dependent on road conditions and the time of day you drive. They could do this easily with a smart motorway system of course, but maybe they depend too heavily on the fines! 
Still, you’re right!

Signing the likes of Fletcher, Boyd, Abdi, Rhodes and Jones on long deals on massive wages is what screwed us.

Simply no need and not the players we needed at the time. Someone got giddy after the playoff final and spunked everything on getting up the season after, and it blew up in the club's face.

Everyone knew what we needed after the playoff final loss to Hull. A long term replacement for Hutch in Def mid and a long term Loovens replacement, we failed to get either

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

You could also add that if the EFL hadn’t incorrectly docked us 12 points in the first place none of this would have happened. 

Or you could argue that they should have correctly docked the points last season, and sent us down then.

We broke the rules by not completing a transaction in time. How is it 'incorrect' to be punished for that?

5 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

You really don’t like him do you? 

It's nothing personal
It's not HIM I don't like but his running of our club

If he appointed the right people, financed the club, let everyone do their jobs, and didn't mess about with stuff, and reduced ticket prices and embraced the fans and all other sports writers and not just Dom then I'd be fine with him

I dont' want much

As for FFP - no matter what you think of it we knew the rules before we broke them, we broke them deliberately and we got punished. That's not FFP's fault but the chairmans

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

It's nothing personal
It's not HIM I don't like but his running of our club

If he appointed the right people, financed the club, let everyone do their jobs, and didn't mess about with stuff, and reduced ticket prices and embraced the fans and all other sports writers and not just Dom then I'd be fine with him

I dont' want much

As for FFP - no matter what you think of it we knew the rules before we broke them, we broke them deliberately and we got punished. That's not FFP's fault but the chairmans

I don’t have a problem with any of that- I just hope he’s learned some lessons. I think that trying to manage the business of a football club from the other side of the world was always going to be problematic during the pandemic too.

3 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Or you could argue that they should have correctly docked the points last season, and sent us down then.

We broke the rules by not completing a transaction in time. How is it 'incorrect' to be punished for that?

100% we deserve a sanction for breaking the rules as we did.

A 6 points deduction wouldn't have relegated us last season, though.

• Like 1

Just now, Elderly Owl said:

I don’t have a problem with any of that- I just hope he’s learned some lessons. I think that trying to manage the business of a football club from the other side of the world was always going to be problematic during the pandemic too.

Only because of the way he insists it's run

Think about it - which part of the operation do you think has been a struggle for him during the pandemic and why?

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

If they’d have took the correct 6 points of last season we wouldn’t have got relegated. 

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

100% we deserve a sanction for breaking the rules as we did.

A 6 points deduction wouldn't have relegated us last season, though.

Yes but that's assuming 6 would have been given. Presumably the EFL had stuck to their original 12, and even if there had been enough time for an appeal, I doubt an appeal panel would overturn a relegation, due to all the potential legal fallout.

In any case we are splitting hairs, as you say we deserve the punishment, so it had to come sooner or later.

1 minute ago, Sheff74 said:

Yes but that's assuming 6 would have been given. Presumably the EFL had stuck to their original 12, and even if there had been enough time for an appeal, I doubt an appeal panel would overturn a relegation, due to all the potential legal fallout.

In any case we are splitting hairs, as you say we deserve the punishment, so it had to come sooner or later.

Yes, but if it had come last season as you suggested, we'd have stayed up.

There's no reason to think that the independent panel's decision would have been any different in regards to reducing the deduction to six. They were pretty unequivocal in their conclusions.

I'm not trying to excuse the inexcusable, as Chansiri certainly brought this on himself, but the stars have certainly aligned to extract the maximum punishment possible from his failings.

Say whatever you want but whole notion of FFP is insane. Telling owner how much he can and can't spend ? How that helps anyone and how many clubs it saved ? Why they don't introduce it in Premier League as well ?

If I'm a billionaire wanting to get club I own promoted to Premiership and I'm not allowed to compete with clubs that got relegated and receive parachute  payments ?! Not allowed to start building for Premiership while in league below ? And why ?! Only to keep Premiership closed private league.

I can't believe it came to pass that anyone can order anyone else how much of his own money he can spend ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Only because of the way he insists it's run

Think about it - which part of the operation do you think has been a struggle for him during the pandemic and why?

Well I was always taught that management was about having your finger on the pulse of the organisation in order to anticipate and hence prevent problems. If you’re in the mix, you get a feel for what is happening- which as you know, is often significantly different from what you are told. It’s also about how you are told of course- an email doesn’t give you the body language and neither does a zoom call. Maybe his other business and/or family interests over the past 12 months took priority? Who knows?

i don’t say being “on site” would have been the solution, but it may have brought him closer to the evolving series of problems that brought us to this point. He may have made better decisions more quickly too. The appointment of a rapid replacement for Pulis for example or indeed the appointment of Pulis, where both decisions cost us the transfer window. 

1 minute ago, Elderly Owl said:

Well I was always taught that management was about having your finger on the pulse of the organisation in order to anticipate and hence prevent problems. If you’re in the mix, you get a feel for what is happening- which as you know, is often significantly different from what you are told. It’s also about how you are told of course- an email doesn’t give you the body language and neither does a zoom call. Maybe his other business and/or family interests over the past 12 months took priority? Who knows?

i don’t say being “on site” would have been the solution, but it may have brought him closer to the evolving series of problems that brought us to this point. He may have made better decisions more quickly too. The appointment of a rapid replacement for Pulis for example or indeed the appointment of Pulis, where both decisions cost us the transfer window. 

Thing is there are millions and millions of businesses around the world being run from distance remotely currently

Owlstalk Shop

The rules might be rubbish. 

They might be ridiculous. 

They might create a closed promotion shop for parachute Prem teams.

But they are in place.

They do exist. 

If you break them yout risk being punished.

We did

And we have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1