Cheltenham, Cambridge Utd

In a perverse sort of way I've been quite looking forward to some new grounds in L1, if we're allowed to travel I can get another 5 added, potentially 7 depending on how the play offs pan out.

In the cold light of day those trips just look depressing though. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Alb1owl said:

Aye. If we weren’t “Sheffield Wednesday”, this historic club, I’d take an enormous sense of pride being amongst a division like L1. Teams who are connected to their fan base. 

once we shelve all the sense of entitlement, it won’t be all that bad. It’s just a game, after all. 

It's still depressing though

I just can’t be arsed with this division again.

If I was confident we’d go straight back up, it wouldn’t be so bad but in each of the three spells we’ve had down there, we’ve struggled in the first season. It’ll mean the likes of Cheltenham or Accrington Stanley doing the double over us and enduring some truly awful games at Hillsborough.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

And we’ve got to play Burton, Gillingham and Shrewsbury again next season. We’ve always done well against them.

All will be forgotten when on 94 minutes on a rainy Tuesday night at Hillsborough in November Paterson pops up with the winner against Gillingham and we go 7 points clear at the top of the table. 😀

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alanharper said:

In a perverse sort of way I've been quite looking forward to some new grounds in L1, if we're allowed to travel I can get another 5 added, potentially 7 depending on how the play offs pan out.

In the cold light of day those trips just look depressing though. 

I kind of wished I hadn't knocked on the head going to away games now.

Being a proud anorak I love to going to new grounds and proper old school grounds in particular.

But home games are going to be a right slog. 14,000 on a grey November afternoon to watch a uneventful 1-1 v Crewe is going to test my patience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's no personal offence to Cheltenham, nor indeed any of those other clubs. I dare say they will make some good days out. (Not footballing wise perhaps, one should never presume that)  But some different grounds and different pubs make for a change. 

A chance for the hoppers to get some more ticked off the list.

Large

No. No offence to Cheltenham,  or Forest Green or Shrewsbury. 

It's more the fact we'd hoped those days were behind us isn't it. 

Its the overall fiasco at the way the club has slid into free fall that's the gall.

Desso pitch?

I have a Cheltenham supporting friend so I've been a few times over the years.

Nice town, horrific area where the ground is (makes Southey look like St Tropez).  I remember once a fan was kicked out of the home end for having a non-local accent (presumably a spy).  

Biggest rivals are Swindon (not reciprocated), Forest Green and a team that play in the British Gas Boiler Annual Service Southern League that bears the name of the county, which they don't say, so sing 'Cheltenhamshire' instead.  Oh the regency rascals.

Good night out though.

• Haha 5