PLEASE READ

Though Chansiri has claimed in the past that managers can get in touch with him easily and it is understood that they have had his contact details to reach him at any time of day in Thailand, The Athletic has been made aware that several former Wednesday managers have preferred to communicate via Paixao. Access to the chairman has not always been easy, according to those former bosses, with it sometimes taking days to receive a response, even on pressing matters.

JESUS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Carvalhal told The Athletic in an interview in 2019: “The second season, we signed players that were not (even) my third option or fourth option, it was players that the advisers proposed. Sometimes we had to decide in the last two days of the transfer window to sign the players. It was really very hard, it is why the club made mistakes.

“I accept that I made mistakes because it was my responsibility but the reality was that everything was really very hard. There are the players a manager wants and then there is a list of players suggested by external advisers. In the end, a manager has to pick players from that list suggested by advisers, adapt to that and try what a manager knows best.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Owlstalk Shop

He has called crisis meetings at several points, threatening to sack the players before being prepared to do the same to the manager.

One dressing-room source says this resulted in “the lads just came out of the meeting laughing their heads off”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Owlstalk Shop

Several sources noted to The Athletic that Wednesday have a damaged reputation within the industry for the way they have handled player contracts, with one leading agent going as far as to say that the perception is the club signs “broken” players who go to Hillsborough in the hope of reviving their careers rather than it being a move driven by a desire to join. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Players do not doubt the chairman’s passion and his desire to achieve success, with one source saying that in his experience at other clubs “the owner is someone you fear a little bit, but that never seemed to happen at Wednesday. He got too involved with stuff, calling meetings with players and it loses its impact after a while”.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

The high turnover of managers has taken its toll. On one occasion where a manager was sacked, his coaching staff learned that they too had been relieved of their duties via a text message from by the then ex-manager himself. They received no communication from the club before their termination papers arrived via email.

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

In the process of recruiting new managers, The Athletic understands several candidates have been put off after reaching the interview stage, with one source stating that Chansiri has “no skill set” for recruitment.

During talks about the position, one prospective manager was surprised to learn that part of the reason he had landed the chance to chat to Chansiri was a result of his career being talked up by the chairman’s teenage son.

Another claims to have had a phone conversation with the same son to discuss the prospect of taking the job after he called his father unexpectedly while the two men were talking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Owlstalk Shop

The involvement of Chansiri's son does not bode well, as to me that points to the desire to setup a family legacy with the club.

I didn't think Chansiri was going to sell anytime soon before this article.

After this article, I get the impression that it's not going to be sold in his lifetime.

• Like 2

That candidate was told at an interview by Chansiri he had seen his CV a few months earlier but that he had “ripped it up” after not being impressed, only to reconsider on the recommendation of a former Wednesday manager. This furthered the candidate’s hesitation about taking the job and he ended up at another EFL club instead.

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

Former Wednesday manager Carvalhal revealed how he was recruited for the job in 2015 in an interview with Yorkshire Live, saying: “Amadeu (Paixao), contacted me, told me that Sheffield Wednesday were interviewing several coaches and asked me if I’d be interested.

“I did the interview, I was chosen and, months later, I came to know that who had the last word on my hiring was… the son of the chairman, who would be 10 or 11 years old (laughs). He had seen some things on the internet, some press releases in Turkey and some games.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

Miguel Llera, who was part of the team that won automatic promotion from League One in 2012, is also concerned about the direction of the club.

“Chansiri spent stupid money on players, which is maybe the fastest way to get promoted but it does not guarantee any success. It wasn’t creating a big club in the long term. The training ground is the same as the ’90s.”

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Another claims to have had a phone conversation with the same son to discuss the prospect of taking the job after he called his father unexpectedly while the two men were talking. The Athletic has been unable to get confirmation of this from Sheffield Wednesday.

My word lol 

• Haha 1

Even though we knew most of what’s been happening behind the scenes it’s horrible to read about it all.

I can think of lots and lots of other failing by chancer too. He’s a car crash of a chairman who could never be a fit and proper person to run any business never mind a football club.

• Like 2
  • Love 2