Five Years Ago - Remember This??

Can’t remember what was going on with him around that date but I think he did like the club (on the whole) when things were going good and enjoyed Sheffield. 

As per a lot of things at the club, it sort of went to poo - due to bad luck and other reasons

We might not see a player with his skills for a while is my main beef. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Can’t remember what was going on with him around that date but I think he did like the club (on the whole) when things were going good and enjoyed Sheffield. 

As per a lot of things at the club, it sort of went to poo - due to bad luck and other reasons

For a very long time

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

If wed done our homework we could have had better and more committed for a lot less then he was costing us.

Strategy is key to success

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

If wed done our homework we could have had better and more committed for a lot less then he was costing us.

Strategy is key to success

Yes. Seemed to drag on and fizzle out big time. 

In future, ANY player that has a great season should get sold while their stock is high. 

• Like 1

If you buy a player for £3m and you get offered £13m you don't haggle over a million or two you say thank you very much then reinvest half the money in a replacement and bank the balance.

the same can be said of the big offers for Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Hooper etc all will ultimately leave on frees after trousering the best part of £20m in wages (including Fessi) between them over the last 4+ seasons. 

• Like 1

Loads of players say it, kissing the badge 

'massive club' 

Fletcher said the same then went to bleedin Stoke ffs, they go where the best offer is 

3 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I think if we'd have never signed Fletch, we wouldn't have had the issues that we did with FF.

Hard to say what would have been the best move.

Spot on.

Signing Fletcher on 40K a week on a four year deal was daft.

9 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Loads of players say it, kissing the badge 

'massive club' 

Fletcher said the same then went to bleedin Stoke ffs, they go where the best offer is 

Exactly... they make those sort of statements to endear themselves to the fans.

14 hours ago, Elderly Owl said:

We missed the bus with our appallingly poor management of a talented player- or rather he did and got away with it. He was never the same again.

Sad isn’t it? 

No FF missed it going to Norwich. 😃 I agree he was never the same player after that

13 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

I think if we'd have never signed Fletch, we wouldn't have had the issues that we did with FF.

Fletcher responsible for FF being found guilty of racist abuse, constantly injured and being called out on his poor attitude to training by the club captain then? 

13 hours ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Can't disagree

We made a big deal about him being considered the Billy Big Balls in the squad. Watford fans said that when FF felt adored, he was phenomenal. His first season showed that.

We got to the play-off final with a sustainable level of losses (if such a thing exists) with FF being one of the top earners in the squad. That should have been the blueprint moving forward... anyone we signed from then on couldn't be on much bigger wages than Bannan or FF, and you try and build sustainability from that.

Whether we would have won promotion following that approach, who knows, but the beginning of the end for us was when we thought it was a good idea to sign players and offer them wages substantially higher than we were giving our supposed talisman. From then on it was a runaway affect and here we are.

Maybe the sustainable approach wouldn't have resulted in promotion, but you can near guarantee we wouldn't be anything other than a win away from relegation to League One without a stadium.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Fletcher responsible for FF being found guilty of racist abuse, constantly injured and being called out on his poor attitude to training by the club captain then? 

Yes mate, that's exactly what I said Jesus christ