U23 Line up today

Guest Smackavolley

26 minutes ago, malek said:

Hughes wasn't involved for some time and I guess he is on trial elsewhere. I can see Render, Cox, Dawodu and Huxley leaving as well. I will be very surprised if Corey Glaves doesn't get contract offer so I'm very surprised that he isn't included.

I'd forgotten about Huxley. Didn't  his contract cover next season when he signed? I thought finding that Farmer had a new deal that Dawodu  would be leaving as both right backs but both playing today? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

I'd forgotten about Huxley. Didn't  his contract cover next season when he signed? I thought finding that Farmer had a new deal that Dawodu  would be leaving as both right backs but both playing today? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Think I'm getting bit senile as I already forgot that Dawodu is in the squad 🙄 He can play CB and with Farmer first choice right back I get that is where we will look to play him next season. Could also explain why We wouldn't offer contract to Glaves.

Guest Smackavolley
11 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hagan is more of a wide man though, thought they'd look to be using Bonnington as the central striker.

They're not doing too bad today. I'd agree though. Hagan has had an injury hit season. They probably want him to get some game time and the U18's have a fixture on Saturday.

Edited by Smackavolley

10 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Hagan is more of a wide man though, thought they'd look to be using Bonnington as the central striker.

Probably we will next season. Hagan can play both roles equally well, though.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

That was always going to be the case. Why is there three 1st year scholars on the bench though?

Why no Cox or 2nd year scholars?

Yeah, realised later, reading replies below, it wasn't a question of contracts re: first team since they were all absent from u23's, but rather focused on the actual academy players.

The Owls’ Under-23s produced an impressive performance in their final away game of the season, beating Wigan 4-1.

Goals from Charles Hagan (2), Liam Waldock and substitute Alex Bonnington did the damage and although Scott Smith pulled one back for the hosts, it was little more than a consolation.

Wednesday, fielding their youngest side of the season, were in command in the first half and hit the front on 13 minutes.

Hagan showed power and pace to advance one on one with Latics keeper Sam Tickle before slotting home a calm finish.

That set the tone for a dominant display and the lead was extended on 38 minutes. Jay Glover delivered an inviting corner, Josh Dawodu nodded back for Hagan and the striker headed past Tickle to double his tally.

A third goal right on half time gave Wigan a mountain to climb but was no more than the Owls deserved. Basile Zottos went close after picking up a loose ball and Waldock took control to stab into the net at the second attempt.

Wednesday bossed possession in the second half and put the game out of sight just past the hour. Declan Thompson sprayed across field for Zottos, who sent a perfect feed into the mix for Bonnington to make it 4-0.

Wigan did manage to get on the scoresheet through Smith after a neat interchange with Tom Costello 20 minutes from time but the Owls’ defence was untroubled thereafter to conclude a comprehensive win.

Lee Bullen’s side complete their fixture list with a home game against Swansea at Middlewood Road on Monday.

Wednesday: Jackson, Farmer, Aguas, Dawodu, Galvin, Thompson, Zottos (Al-Jahadhmy 81), Waldock, Hagan, Glover (Trueman 73), Trialist (Bonnington 56)

• Like 1

just shows 11 committed young players win 4-1 , stick hunt shaw kachunga penney harris brown in and they always lose . the people who chansiri employs are a crime to football in recruiting this rubbish . we 99% will go down saturday but if a miracle happens i doubt we will get much more than 30points next season with same idiots in charge of recruitment , cant wait to see to new harris ready to kick his crosses accross penistone road or slip over when near goal ,is there a man with a rifle ready to pop him if he gets anything on target? as ive no other explanation why he is constantly so bad .