The Spine

Guest Grandad

52 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I thought hard about Luongo before posting this

But I just don't think we can risk him

Why not?

We can make 5 subs if he isn't able to get through it and its not like we are saving him for the next game.

Dunkley seems as much of a risk, especially as he doesn't really seem to improve us, rarely keep a clean sheet with him in the side and lost the last 3 he played in. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d go with:

Westwood

Urhoghide Hutchinson Borner

Palmer Pelupessy Bannan Reach

Paterson

Windass Rhodes

I really don’t want Borner to play, he’s always got a mistake in him but we don’t have any other left sided centre backs.

This looks about as good as it gets with what we have, unless Luongo is fit to play a part.

Agree on Borner, his errors are of his own doing but he also looks as likely to score for us as anyone else lately too! 

13 minutes ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

Plenty of subs on the bench if he breaks down, id play him if he has being doing well in training

Is Luongo available to play? I haven’t seen anything other than the photo of him training a week or so ago.

If he is then I’m with rolling the dice and trying to start on the front foot. It’s all a gamble now anyway. 

• Like 2

If we can get  anything out of Luongo, I'd prefer at the beginning of the game.  He'd make a difference rusty, if he hit the ground running it would have a real positive effect.  We could bring Pelupessy/Shaw on for him.

Westwood

Hutchinson

Borner

Dunkley

Palmer

Bannan 

Pelupessy

Luongo

Reach

Rhodes

Windass

Reach only gets picked because he DOES have something in his locker. If Rhodes starts then he’s the only winger we have who CAN provide service if he can be arsed.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Westwood

Hutchinson

Borner

Dunkley

Palmer

Bannan 

Pelupessy

Luongo

Reach

Rhodes

Windass

Reach only gets picked because he DOES have something in his locker. If Rhodes starts then he’s the only winger we have who CAN provide service if he can be arsed.

think i agree with this line up. you need a potential match winner in the side, be that from a screamer, taking that one chance or whatever. 

It might not happen, but for that reason, Rhodes and Reach have to play for me. Someone like Harris, Green etc...do they have a match winning moment in them? I dont know. But the others have at least done it and we just need to hope it happens one last time. 

33 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Westwood

Hutchinson

Borner

Dunkley

Palmer

Bannan 

Pelupessy

Luongo

Reach

Rhodes

Windass

Agreed with Reach. He’s often looked like he can’t be arsed but he does have the ability, he’s just not been using it. But with the alternatives being so weak I think he’s got to start and we cross our fingers!

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

think i agree with this line up. you need a potential match winner in the side, be that from a screamer, taking that one chance or whatever. 

It might not happen, but for that reason, Rhodes and Reach have to play for me. Someone like Harris, Green etc...do they have a match winning moment in them? I dont know. But the others have at least done it and we just need to hope it happens one last time. 

I think Green does, potentially. I like how he can drive at defenders and cause something to happen, e.g. the penalty against Boro. He’s got more about him than Harris, who can run pretty fast in a straight line but is so wasteful in the final third

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I think Green does, potentially. I like how he can drive at defenders and cause something to happen, e.g. the penalty against Boro. He’s got more about him than Harris, who can run pretty fast in a straight line but is so wasteful in the final third

We’ll hopefully see more from Green next season. But I’d rather have a plan where he comes off the bench on Saturday to stretch Derby’s defence if we’re chasing a goal...or be someone who can just run with the ball if we’re holding a lead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

We’ll hopefully see more from Green next season. But I’d rather have a plan where he comes off the bench on Saturday to stretch Derby’s defence if we’re chasing a goal...or be someone who can just run with the ball if we’re holding a lead.

It’ll be interesting to see how we set up - a draw’s no good, so do we go all out attack from the first whistle or keep it tight to make sure we don’t concede first (because that means we’ll lose)? I don’t have much faith in us doing either particularly well, to be honest

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

Harris, Kachunga or Green, slim pickings really. 

Out of the three I'd go with green. 

Looked good in a few patches against boro. Also with all that time out injured and without a club coupled with him being here next year means hopefully he's at least give 100% trying to avoid a wage drop and playing div 1 football next session. 

3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

It’ll be interesting to see how we set up - a draw’s no good, so do we go all out attack from the first whistle or keep it tight to make sure we don’t concede first (because that means we’ll lose)? I don’t have much faith in us doing either particularly well, to be honest

I’d be specifically studying exactly what we did against Cardiff.

Im not saying we could ever replicate a 5-0 win. But the attitude and application was all there. We attacked them. We crossed well. Set pieces were perfect.

This is why I’m not a manager though. As I assume it’s not as simple as pointing at our highlights and telling the lads ‘just do that again’ 😂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 0742 said:

So Luongo who hasn't done anything decent this season and has missed most of it through injury, is going to be our saviour?!

Yeah seems about right. WTF:

If he's missed most of the season through being out injured, maybe that's why he hasn't done anything decent ?

Seems about right lol

• Haha 1