Scenes at Old Trafford today.. time to do something similar at Hillsborough?

Guest T Hardy

2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

This reminds me of The Life of Brian all sitting around passing motions, but doing physically bugger all about it.

It takes some bloody drumming up on here to whip up the feeling to even consider it. I have no idea/expertise/mobility or presence online to start a protest but spread the idea round strong enough and I'm sure we'll catch on eventually before its too late. I'm not talking about breaking into the ground and throwing flares around but a proper targeted meeting after we are relegated with a strong message against the ownership of this club is surely needed. If it doesn't happen it will always qualify Chansiri to think that he can do whatever and the fans will accept it. How do we drum that up? I don't know. But if there is something to attend to make a strong point then I will willingly attend. We've tried to do it the proper way through the Supporters club, tried to liase with letters and statements. Fairly worded and open expressions of concern. Met with lies and disregard. Lets see what we can do as fans. It will take more of us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

It takes some bloody drumming up on here to whip up the feeling to even consider it. I have no idea/expertise/mobility or presence online to start a protest but spread the idea round strong enough and I'm sure we'll catch on eventually before its too late. I'm not talking about breaking into the ground and throwing flares around but a proper targeted meeting after we are relegated with a strong message against the ownership of this club is surely needed. If it doesn't happen it will always qualify Chansiri to think that he can do whatever and the fans will accept it. How do we drum that up? I don't know. But if there is something to attend to make a strong point then I will willingly attend. We've tried to do it the proper way through the Supporters club, tried to liase with letters and statements. Fairly worded and open expressions of concern. Met with lies and disregard. Lets see what we can do as fans. It will take more of us. 

Trouble is there will always be a queue to buy Man United whereas with Wednesday realistically there is no one waiting in the wings.

16 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Nope,  not pointless.  Well done Man Utd fans for standing up to their owners who are still trying to ruin English football.  Hopefully other clubs will follow their example and make it clear the fans won’t allow it 

Im as anti super league as anybody but a few dozen supporters f........g about on the pitch wont bother the Glazers one iota.  Protests have to have an achievable aim and the only way to make these owners listen is to stay away stop buying merchandise etc. a few lads fannying around on the pitch is pointless and will achieve nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Im as anti super league as anybody but a few dozen supporters f........g about on the pitch wont bother the Glazers one iota.  Protests have to have an achievable aim and the only way to make these owners listen is to stay away stop buying merchandise etc. a few lads fannying around on the pitch is pointless and will achieve nothing.

It’s looking like the protests might stop today’s game going ahead or at least it will be moved back and tv schedules a mess (where the money comes from).  The fans have helped shown the owners that if the super league or whatever idea they come up with goes ahead, they can be there to stop those games happening at their own stadiums 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

What would be your objective and how what would you consider a successful result.

1 hour ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

I think it will bother them. Firstly, having seen the match called off and police overwhelmed, they will think twice about visiting Manchester again. Secondly, the 'brand' which they have enjoyed milking for a decade will be damaged by this - I imagine a merchandise boycott and other measures to hit them in the pocket will follow, even sponsors will think twice about sponsoring Man U if their brand will become synonymous with the Glazers rather than Man United. Thirdly, the protest will help build momentum for 50+1 fan ownership.

13 minutes ago, Geedee said:

What would be your objective and how what would you consider a successful result.

This is the issue with any protest at Hillsborough.

The Man U protest has an obvious justification - the owners tried to destroy the English football pyramid and completely change the competitive fabric of English football.

We're annoyed at mismanagement and ineptitude, but Chansiri hasn't tried to destroy English football. Not even sure there is consensus:

For some fans it is: "Chansiri Out"

For others its: "Get a proper Director of Football and recruitment team"

And for others it is: "Get us higher up the league"

Not sure there is an easy way to sum this up and bring it together under one flag. The Supporters Trust is probably the best bet rather than trying to get matches abandoned.

• Like 1

As inept as I believe Chansiri is, and doesn’t listen very much - he will be aware that the idea of protesting is mentioned on here and other social media quite often. 

The club (Chansiri) are likely to either only say something when that happens (probably along the lines of 5 out of 500 did some vandalism) or the club will say nothing when there is no protest. 

If I were him, I’d at least release a statement (a good one for a change) listing his disappointment at his own failings, his intention to change, his respect for the fans (even if it’s just pretend) and suggesting we should not protest. If I were him I’d do it to save face and to save everyone the hassle. 

OBVIOUSLY I am aware of the irony in a statement from the club potentially saying that ‘we the fans’ would be tarnishing the name of the club and am also not telling anyone to protest who wants to. 

Just sat guessing how the club would spin it.  

• Like 1

Was listening to 5 live earlier and they had one of the local journalists on discussing the protest and the feelings of the fans towards the owner. One similarity to us struck me, he said he’d covered Man U for over 40 years and throughout all that time there had been a group of fans that had disliked the owners, it’s been the same core group of fans regardless of who’s been in charge throughout those 40 odd years. Sound familiar? Every since the Dave Allen era (which is when I first bothered to read about the boardroom side of things) we’ve had a group of fans at loggerheads with the owner, the same core group regardless of the owner. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have no idea if this is going to make any difference and Man U and equally don’t know if it would make any difference here. But let’s face it, something has to be done. 
Ive said I’ll never stop going to matches because why should I let anyone stop me going to matches with my Dad. But to be honest Id do a one match boycott if it was a proper organised event with the right publicity. I’m not going to stand in the cold shouting for the afternoon and think it would be pointless but for god sake something has to happen!

Even 2000 POTG customers boycotting a match is a c£80,000 hit so won’t go un noticed!

2 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Was listening to 5 live earlier and they had one of the local journalists on discussing the protest and the feelings of the fans towards the owner. One similarity to us struck me, he said he’d covered Man U for over 40 years and throughout all that time there had been a group of fans that had disliked the owners, it’s been the same core group of fans regardless of who’s been in charge throughout those 40 odd years. Sound familiar? Every since the Dave Allen era (which is when I first bothered to read about the boardroom side of things) we’ve had a group of fans at loggerheads with the owner, the same core group regardless of the owner. 

No we haven't

We've had fans who don't put up with the crap from Chairmen as/when they prove themselves to not be acting in the interests of Sheffield Wednesday FC

In all honesty it should be ALL our fans that are like that but it's not

But no - there is no mysterious 'core group' of people who are against all owners - please stop making stuff up

Mandaric and Strafford's time in charge for instance totally wipes away all of your theory

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, kirksandallowl said:

I don’t know mate. I’ve never give much thought to who owns us over the years. I’m now cheesed off to the extent that I would take action if I thought it would make a difference. I know others in the same position. We’ve been rubbish before but this is a whole new level of mismanagement. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

No we haven't

We've had fans who don't put up with the crap from Chairmen as/when they prove themselves to not be acting in the interests of Sheffield Wednesday FC

In all honesty it should be ALL our fans that are like that but it's not

But no - there is no mysterious 'core group' of people who are against all owners - please stop making stuff up

Mandaric and Strafford's time in charge for instance totally wipes away all of your theory

Strafford wasn’t an owner. And there weren’t a group of fans up in arms about the loans Manderic took out secured on the ground from various people? And none of those people were involved in wednesdayite or the new supporters trust?

1 minute ago, kirksandallowl said:

Strafford wasn’t an owner. And there weren’t a group of fans up in arms about the loans Manderic took out secured on the ground from various people? And none of those people were involved in wednesdayite or the new supporters trust?

You're going to go down a route here where you make claims and I prove you wrong repeatedly mate

What you're saying isn't true. 

There is no 'core group'

And just as one example of your incorrect claims nobody involved in Wednesdayite is involved in the new supporters trust

Basically you're totally wrong on this one in every way possible  

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I don’t know mate. I’ve never give much thought to who owns us over the years. I’m now cheesed off to the extent that I would take action if I thought it would make a difference. I know others in the same position. We’ve been rubbish before but this is a whole new level of mismanagement. 

We’ve been in much worse position than this, we had to ask the coop bank for permission to pay suppliers and wages, we’ve been on the high court steps minutes from liquidation but apparently none of that is as bad as paying the players a few days late. 

• Like 1