Failure to pay wages in April

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sure they will. But with a relegation on CV and a load of poor performances they will be in a weaker bargaining position in getting a deal than they would if they had more suiters. No one wants relegation on the cv as it sticks out for the rest of time.

I’m not sure they give it much thought to be honest. As long as they get fixed up and get their wages paid they’ll be fine.

Players like Reach, Lees, Westwood and Rhodes have made loads of money out of Wednesday - more than they probably ever expected at this point in their careers.  I’m sure they won’t be too fussed about a bit of a pay cut at the age of 30. 

Sure they will. But with a relegation on CV and a load of poor performances they will be in a weaker bargaining position in getting a deal than they would if they had more suiters. No one wants relegation on the cv as it sticks out for the rest of time.

That's just not true though is it?

Players who have been relegated have moved onto bigger and better things all the time.

4 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

That's just not true though is it?

Players who have been relegated have moved onto bigger and better things all the time.

Its not true that it hasn’t affected negotions on earnings? You’ve said yourself this is a cut throat business.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not sure they give it much thought to be honest. As long as they get fixed up and get their wages paid they’ll be fine.

Players like Reach, Lees, Westwood and Rhodes have made loads of money out of Wednesday - more than they probably ever expected at this point in their careers.  I’m sure they won’t be too fussed about a bit of a pay cut at the age of 30. 

Presumably not bothered about being paid late either then. Given that’s what the fuss is about.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

Its not true that it hasn’t affected negotions on earnings? You’ve said yourself this is a cut throat business.

But that's a loaded question.

Some will have, some won't have. There are a lot of factors to consider.

It's not as simple as saying relegation effects all players negotiation position, because it doesn't. Relegation won't even factor into the offering clubs offers, they couldn't give a monkeys if a player has been relegated or not

Do you think if Villa had sold Jack Grealish to Spurs after they'd have been relegated, that he'd have got more or less money than he was on at Villa?

How about if Billy Sharp leaves United this summer, will he get more or less that he's on at United at the moment?

How about if Newcastle somehow get relegated this season, do you think St Maximin will get more or less than he's on now? 

I could go on like this all day with different examples

7 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Presumably not bothered about being paid late either then. Given that’s what the fuss is about.

It does seem like a bit of a contradiction - Sheffield Wednesday have paid them more than they could ever have imagined but when they get paid late it is understandable that they throw it off? 

Guest Hornsby
2 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

We never spent billions.

Take it back, I’ll take you seriously.

Context. Man Utd total spend is 78% of income, ours 148%.

Highest in footy. Anywhere. Ever.

And thats without paying refunds to fans, some of whom now dead. Nice.

21 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Hmm no I don’t think that’s the case. 

I think at their stage in their career they’ll be expecting a drop in wages - particularly given their age and the current climate. 

However I’m sure they expect their wages to be paid on time by their current employer. Like every single worker expects. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

But that's a loaded question.

Some will have, some won't have. There are a lot of factors to consider.

It's not as simple as saying relegation effects all players negotiation position, because it doesn't. Relegation won't even factor into the offering clubs offers, they couldn't give a monkeys if a player has been relegated or not

Do you think if Villa had sold Jack Grealish to Spurs after they'd have been relegated, that he'd have got more or less money than he was on at Villa?

How about if Billy Sharp leaves United this summer, will he get more or less that he's on at United at the moment?

How about if Newcastle somehow get relegated this season, do you think St Maximin will get more or less than he's on now? 

I could go on like this all day with different examples

Yeah you’re picking some really good players there. Where are ours? We have one or two out of contract that might have some decent offers from two or three clubs. Reach, Urhoghide as examples. But many others will certainly benefit from not being put into a worse negotiating position. If they stopped up and there was a deal on the table here, whether they want to stay or not it strengthens their hand and it can only help in getting a more lucrative deal elsewhere. It certainly can’t make it any worse in this climate, for the sake of trying to make sure you win a game and don’t associate yourself with relegation.

Yeah you’re picking some really good players there. Where are ours? We have one or two out of contract that might have some decent offers from two or three clubs. Reach, Urhoghide as examples. But many others will certainly benefit from not being put into a worse negotiating position. If they stopped up and there was a deal on the table here, whether they want to stay or not it strengthens their hand and it can only help in getting a more lucrative deal elsewhere. It certainly can’t make it any worse in this climate, for the sake of trying to make sure you win a game and don’t associate yourself with relegation.

They are trying.

Why do people think they’re just not bothering.

People are struggling to grasp how not paying players on time impacts performances. It’s a psychological thing. They’re not deliberately going out to not win the game. 

Football is like any other business. You need a healthy working environment to succeed. We don’t have one. We have a whole bunch of players out of contract, a hideously unbalanced squad and a chairman who isn’t paying his staff properly.

Despite all that on merit this team probably just scrapes up. But again the chairman’s financial mismanagement meant we have 6 points less than everyone else - that is nothing to do with the players. That’s out of their hands.

It’s a miracle if we stay up. 

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

My guess is that they're already sorted with a new club

I reckon their agents sorted them out around Christmas time

Owlstalk Shop

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hmm no I don’t think that’s the case. 

I think at their stage in their career they’ll be expecting a drop in wages - particularly given their age and the current climate. 

However I’m sure they expect their wages to be paid on time by their current employer. Like every single worker expects. 

You said yourself that they won’t even have given their next wage and their bargaining position much thought. No one can really think that is the case. For the likes of Westwood and Lees et al, this could be one of if not their final contract negotiation with someone before the money really tails off. 

If because they’d had so much money out of Wednesday that future earnings didn’t matter or that their level of performance in final games didn’t matter either for that reason, then we were doomed in any case. whether they have been paid or whether they are happy about it is a bit of a moot point.

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They are trying.

Why do people think they’re just not bothering.

People are struggling to grasp how not paying players on time impacts performances. It’s a psychological thing. They’re not deliberately going out to not win the game. 

Football is like any other business. You need a healthy working environment to succeed. We don’t have one. We have a whole bunch of players out of contract, a hideously unbalanced squad and a chairman who isn’t paying his staff properly.

Despite all that on merit this team probably just scrapes up. But again the chairman’s financial mismanagement meant we have 6 points less than everyone else - that is nothing to do with the players. That’s out of their hands.

It’s a miracle if we stay up. 

I think the general impression by your own thread post match was that the performance wasn’t what you’d expect from a team needing to win. Effort was mentioned in that.

Then it was taken back because of the payment issue.

I agree with you it all feeds into the working environment but my point has been that if this is such a key issue. They can still play for their own financial well being elsewhere 

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

You said yourself that they won’t even have given their next wage and their bargaining position much thought. No one can really think that is the case. For the likes of Westwood and Lees et al, this could be one of if not their final contract negotiation with someone before the money really tails off. 

If because they’d had so much money out of Wednesday that future earnings didn’t matter or that their level of performance in final games didn’t matter either for that reason, then we were doomed in any case. whether they have been paid or whether they are happy about it is a bit of a moot point.

No that’s not really the point I’m making. I’m sure they’re in contact with their agents to get a club lined up. I never said they wouldn’t have given their next wage much thought, but I imagine given the current climate, their age and the inflated wage they’re on at Wednesday - most of the high earners out of contract will be expecting a drop in wages. 

The key thing is they’ll just be looking for a club. And they’ll get one based on past reputation alone. Wednesday are a basket case. Everyone knows this, relegation on your CV at a club not paying wages and with a points deduction won’t do much damage. Classic case of a club on the ropes and good players will be offered a lifeline to find their form and confidence again.

Rhodes will get a new deal based on his goals per game ratio this season and his previous exploits. 

Lees will get one based on the fact he’s a pretty solid defender at Championship level.

Reach will get one because he’s a good player. Most Championship clubs will know he just needs a change of scenery. 

See my point? Relegation at crisis club SWFC won’t be held against them by potential future employers. 

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think the general impression by your own thread post match was that the performance wasn’t what you’d expect from a team needing to win. Effort was mentioned in that.

Then it was taken back because of the payment issue.

I agree with you it all feeds into the working environment but my point has been that if this is such a key issue. They can still play for their own financial well being elsewhere 

I was particularly disappointed on Saturday you’re right. But when the pay issue came to light AGAIN, it makes the lacklustre performance so more understandable. Sadly. 

11 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I was particularly disappointed on Saturday you’re right. But when the pay issue came to light AGAIN, it makes the lacklustre performance so more understandable. Sadly. 

So if they go and tear Derby apart at the weekend………?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No that’s not really the point I’m making. I’m sure they’re in contact with their agents to get a club lined up. I never said they wouldn’t have given their next wage much thought, but I imagine given the current climate, their age and the inflated wage they’re on at Wednesday - most of the high earners out of contract will be expecting a drop in wages. 

The key thing is they’ll just be looking for a club. And they’ll get one based on past reputation alone. Wednesday are a basket case. Everyone knows this, relegation on your CV at a club not paying wages and with a points deduction won’t do much damage. Classic case of a club on the ropes and good players will be offered a lifeline to find their form and confidence again.

Rhodes will get a new deal based on his goals per game ratio this season and his previous exploits. 

Lees will get one based on the fact he’s a pretty solid defender at Championship level.

Reach will get one because he’s a good player. Most Championship clubs will know he just needs a change of scenery. 

See my point? Relegation at crisis club SWFC won’t be held against them by potential future employers. 

It won’t prevent a deal but id be certain it’s used in wage discussions.

12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah but I’d expect morale to be low and we’ve heard of this pay arrangement being in place for a while so it’s not huge news.

Club is indeed run poorly and I don’t blame any of them for wanting to move on. But likewise if there is another insipid display at Derby when a win would sort us it’s not acceptable and they are part of the problem also. Fingers crossed they genuinely just froze and they benefit from the latest chance. Clutches at straws

21 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

so the tweet about change of ownership wasn’t recent then 

9 hours ago, parajack said:

Its easy enough to speak to your broker and reduce/stop payments in a Global pandemic if required for a time.Footballers they might be,but they have a regular very good fixed income,are a good credit risk,and are quite capable on their salarys of riding out the odd pay 'wobble'

Someone on 20,000 a week or more being paid late,after 3,4, or 5 Years of a salary like that,shouldnt have issues as you describe.

So it is ok for the players to be paid late and they won’t suffer any financial hardship according to you.  That view is incorrect.

• Thanks 1