Monk on Bannan yesterday...

"he prefers to stays deep and dictate the play from there, he's not as confident further forward"

This was said after he'd commented about how Bannan is more effective further up the field, something pretty much any sane fan already knows. His preference for the deep lying playmaker role doesn't suit us, we don't have the squad never mind a starting 11 that can accommodate this. We need Bannan playing further forward against Derby 

What also worries me is that Bannan is clearly dictating to the managers. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, 0742 said:

"he prefers to stays deep and dictate the play from there, he's not as confident further forward"

This was said after he'd commented about how Bannan is more effective further up the field, something pretty much any sane fan already knows. His preference for the deep lying playmaker role doesn't suit us, we don't have the squad never mind a starting 11 that can accommodate this. We need Bannan playing further forward against Derby 

Completely kills us at times, he doesn't suit the system but he's our best player.

"He's not as confident further forward" for a playmaker that's poor, he's at his best when hes driving us forward like his little run yesterday.

No good sitting deep and playing backwards and sideways "retaining possession"  when the other team just fall back into shape and say come and break us down.

We're not good enough to break them down.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's related with Moore trying to push Bannan further upfield since he came in, but I must confess despite being Bannan's no1 cheerleader I've noticed for the last few games, if not last few weeks, his passing selection/accuracy/power selection has really deteriorated, yet he's still the only player who gets us on the front foot with his vision and passing range, hopefully once this dogshit of a season is over he can get some confidence back and go back to his best.

Edited by Paul..
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

So Monk, who made him captain and allowed him to play a deep role in every game thinks he should play further up field? 

12 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bannan seems to have a very big say at the club imo. 

Tbf he’s one of only a handful of people at the club who are capable of doing their job at all the required so I can’t blame him for doing so 

6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So Monk, who made him captain and allowed him to play a deep role in every game thinks he should play further up field? 

I wouldn’t trust Monk if he told me today was Sunday, very odd character 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 0742 said:

I don't think it's a preference for the deep lying playmaker role, so much as it is necessity. 

We can't breakout unless Bannan drops deep to pick the ball up from the centrebacks, otherwise they just recycle the ball between themselves and the keeper.

Bannan plays further up the field when we move the ball forward sufficiently to allow it. 

When he doesn't, aside from the occasional Hutchinson hoof ball, we can't get it out of our half. 

We desperately need a proper ball playing centreback or actual holding midfielder than can distribute the ball forward and to the wings if we want Bannan further forward. 

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Bannan seems to have a very big say at the club imo. 

Obviously talented and been great for us. BUT nobody is bigger than the club and nobody should be dictating to managers what they want to do etc. If this is the case, then we need to go separate ways as this is no good for anyone involved.

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

Bannan is a player much more suited to sitting deep and dictating play. We'd get the best out of him if we built a squad around him in this position. 

I just don't think our system suits that role for him. If we had the players to fit into a 433, with quick wingers and mobile midfielders alongside him he could use his passing range to more effect. But in the current system, without the movement around him we severely lack his creativity further forward. 

If he's gonna be here next season, we need to bring in players who bring the best out of our best player.