Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thanks to everyone who has been watching my other videos. 

 

Some light viewing before the Forest match. 

 

My recent trip to the Grade 2 listed Spital Tunnel. Popular with alley cats, smack heads and fly tippers.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another enjoyable video. 
 

Such a shame that they are left to rack and ruin. Looking at that porthole it’s obviously a grand piece of engineering. 
 

I remember underneath Spital part of that rail yard. I think their were car sales or something. 
 

Also, at the bottom of Spital Hill, right next to the wicker arches, there was an entrance and through that entrance I used to go to have my tyres replaced. Not much else there except you drove through there was massive wall made up of engineers bricks which must has been holding back tonnes of earth and the housing developments on top. Looking back it must have been part of the rail yard mentioned in the video. 
 

 

3D73A4C2-D40B-4B49-A944-19E7B80CCCF6.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M Royds said:

Another enjoyable video. 
 

Such a shame that they are left to rack and ruin. Looking at that porthole it’s obviously a grand piece of engineering. 
 

I remember underneath Spital part of that rail yard. I think their were car sales or something. 
 

Also, at the bottom of Spital Hill, right next to the wicker arches, there was an entrance and through that entrance I used to go to have my tyres replaced. Not much else there except you drove through there was massive wall made up of engineers bricks which must has been holding back tonnes of earth and the housing developments on top. Looking back it must have been part of the rail yard mentioned in the video. 
 

 

3D73A4C2-D40B-4B49-A944-19E7B80CCCF6.jpeg

 

Is that on the city side or the attercliffe side?

 

But yeah, what a shame the state of it these days. I remember that car place at the bottom - Hartwells was it? Then Yes car credit for a bit. The bottom portal was still visible. As was the arches of the loading ramp down where the tesco car park is now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Paolo Coopio said:

 

Is that on the city side or the attercliffe side?

 

But yeah, what a shame the state of it these days. I remember that car place at the bottom - Hartwells was it? Then Yes car credit for a bit. The bottom portal was still visible. As was the arches of the loading ramp down where the tesco car park is now.

That’s Attercliffe say de if the arches.
 

I used to catch the train from Woodhouse into the City Centre. IIRC, On the approach to the station there’s seemed to be a lot of lines that were disused. I wonder if this is the link you mention that joins with the central line. 
 

Can’t help thinking that when they must have been building these things, Navi’s must have been every where digging tunnels and cutting embankments. 
 

Im sure you know this but the Term Bavi was coined after the guys that built the Navigation system, or canals, across the country. Canals could be something for you to do? Loads of history in those projects. 
 

Those tunnels, canals and bridges are beautifully engineered and some are still well preserved today, like the Spital porthole which, from your video, looks very well preserved. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2021 at 20:59, M Royds said:

That’s Attercliffe say de if the arches.
 

I used to catch the train from Woodhouse into the City Centre. IIRC, On the approach to the station there’s seemed to be a lot of lines that were disused. I wonder if this is the link you mention that joins with the central line. 
 

Can’t help thinking that when they must have been building these things, Navi’s must have been every where digging tunnels and cutting embankments. 
 

Im sure you know this but the Term Bavi was coined after the guys that built the Navigation system, or canals, across the country. Canals could be something for you to do? Loads of history in those projects. 
 

Those tunnels, canals and bridges are beautifully engineered and some are still well preserved today, like the Spital porthole which, from your video, looks very well preserved. 

 

There is a good website that shows all the former lines with a Google map background

 

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

 

Funny you should you mention canals. I've done the disused Chesterfield canal sections. Tinsley canal is on my list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Paolo Coopio said:

 

There is a good website that shows all the former lines with a Google map background

 

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

 

Funny you should you mention canals. I've done the disused Chesterfield canal sections. Tinsley canal is on my list. 

I used to work down the area, near Tinsley canal basis. Alway had fishermen there, I think they had to purchase their licences from Tinsley Wire. Really accessible place. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to walk through that regularly as kids back in the early seventies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...