Council work damaged Sheffield WW1 site

Visitors claim council work damaged Sheffield WW1 site

A historic prisoner of war camp has been damaged by council workers felling trees, visitors to the site have claimed.

The remains of the Lodge Moor camp near Sheffield are being examined by archaeologists.

The camp was the largest in the UK and held thousands of prisoners during World War One and World War Two.

Sheffield City Council said the tree-thinning work had caused "some minor disturbance" which would be rectified.

Jess Ghost, a regular visitor to the site, said the camp's remains were of national and international importance.

"In my view, it's a dereliction of duty and care, and I was heartbroken to see what had been allowed to happen to this very significant site," she said.

"It's of the utmost importance the site is properly protected so it can never be damaged in this way again."

According to the the Local Democracy Reporting Service, visitors have claimed that the work damaged large concrete bases of the prisoners' accommodation, broke one of the toilet blocks and crushed remnants of sewage piping. 

The camp on Redmires Road just outside Sheffield held more than 11,000 prisoners during World War Two 

Its most famous prisoner was Admiral Karl Doenitz who escaped in 1918 by feigning mental illness. In 1945 he succeeded Hitler as president of Nazi Germany. 

Untitled-2-34-375x250.jpg

The camp was abandoned after the war and woodland slowly covered the site, leaving only the foundations of some buildings visible.

Ruth Bell, the council's head of parks and countryside, said the tree-thinning work had exposed more of the camp's remains.

"We acknowledge some minor disturbance was caused and this will be rectified," she said.

"A site visit and recommendations were made by the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service and further remedial work will take place later this year."

image.png.fe1c4470414e62d2cacfa5c1c97ae00a.png

Ms Bell added that the authority was working with a community group on a lottery-funded project to help interpret the site.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

26 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Its most famous prisoner was Admiral Karl Doenitz who escaped in 1918 by feigning mental illness. In 1945 he succeeded Hitler as president of Nazi Germany. 

Didn't know that. Out of interest, when did Nazi Germany revert back to regular old Germany (albeit East and West)?

I always assumed it was when Adolf pegged it?

4 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Didn't know that. Out of interest, when did Nazi Germany revert back to regular old Germany (albeit East and West)?

When the nazis surrendered.

.....then the Russians and allies divided it up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Got to be the ultimate poisoned chalice that, even worse than Moyes taking over from Ferguson.

"Right lads, Adolf's topped himself, who wants to take the reigns?"

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Got to be the ultimate poisoned chalice that, even worse than Moyes taking over from Ferguson.

"Right lads, Adolf's topped himself, who wants to take the reigns?"

Like at work when your boss tells you about a "development opportunity"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Did you know there were 2 Russian units and 1 American fighting their way to Berlin

When it looked like they might arrive in Berlin at a similar time - or the Americans may even beat the Russians to the city - Stalin diverted one of his units to head off the Americans by impeding their ability to cross a river (forgot what it's called) that was the last obstacle before the yanks had a free run to Berlin?

That's probably how Berlin got divided into east and west

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Did you know there were 2 Russian units and 1 American fighting their way to Berlin

When it looked like they might arrive in Berlin at a similar time - or the Americans may even beat the Russians to the city - Stalin diverted one of his units to head off the Americans by impeding their ability to cross a river (forgot what it's called) that was the last obstacle before the yanks had a free run to Berlin?

That's probably how Berlin got divided into east and west

I didn't know that, but I did read somewhere that the Russians had re routed to get to Berlin quicker.

25 minutes ago, The Wall said:

IIRC, Doenitz became Chancellor of Germany and led the surrender. They hung him and there are some schools of thought that defend him as he was a military man and shouldn’t have been hung, particularly as more prominent Nazis were allowed to live. 

I could be well off the Mark and do more reading to familiarise it. 

If you want a proper evil nazi bàstard look closer to home, Holmfirth. Step forward Stanislaw Chrzanowski. Tricked his way into our country. Killed innocent civilians and by all accounts a dangerous bully. Great programme on him recently about his step son who spent his lifetime trying to expose him. Modern Germany wanted to prosecute him as a war criminal and allegations was people within government and the military trying to protect him . 

Link

Edited by M Royds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, M Royds said:

IIRC, Doenitz became Chancellor of Germany and led the surrender. They hung him and there are some schools of thought that defend him as he was a military man and shouldn’t have been hung, particularly as more prominent Nazis were allowed to live. 

Quite a lot of nazi's were allowed to go America - especially the particle physicists and scientists

Even the "butcher of Lyon" Klaus Barbie was given safe haven in the states after the war

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Quite a lot of nazi's were allowed to go America - especially the particle physicists and scientists

Even the "butcher of Lyon" Klaus Barbie was given safe haven in the states after the war

I got my story completely tîts up. Doenitz wasn’t hung but served 10 years for war crimes.  He lived to a ripe age of 89. 

I was listening to a. BBC podcast recently about the first man in space and white heat coming from the space race. Turns out the Soviets also took German Rocket scientist. 

• Like 1

My favorite story from the tail end of WWII involves Canadian Paras squaring up to the Soviets at Wismar. The Soviets had been granted Wismar at the Yalta conference (and would ultimately take control of the city on late ‘45), but in May 45 but Churchill feared that if Wismar was given away too soon, it would allow the Soviets a pathway to invade Denmark.

So just 1 battalion of Canadian paratroopers raced to the town. When the Soviets arrived they found the Canadians and believed the bluff that the Canadians were backed by artillery and USAAF bombers and that they were prepared to go to war.

The much larger Soviet force backed down, and Denmark was saved.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The owls are not what they seem.

1 hour ago, scram said:

Not quite. Barbie went straight from Europe to Bolivia, but he was paid for decades by both the CIA and the West German government to help track down and interrogate communist insurgents in Bolivia.

But yeah - plenty of Nazi rocket scientists ended up working in the U.S. - and many others worked for the USSR.

• Thanks 1

The owls are not what they seem.

31 minutes ago, Neal M said:

Another lesser known tale from the end of WW2.

When the German Wehrmacht and the US Army fought side by side against the SS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32622651.amp

What a fascinating story. 

What a shame one of the main good guys in this story bought it. 

3 hours ago, Neal M said:

My favorite story from the tail end of WWII involves Canadian Paras squaring up to the Soviets at Wismar. The Soviets had been granted Wismar at the Yalta conference (and would ultimately take control of the city on late ‘45), but in May 45 but Churchill feared that if Wismar was given away too soon, it would allow the Soviets a pathway to invade Denmark.

So just 1 battalion of Canadian paratroopers raced to the town. When the Soviets arrived they found the Canadians and believed the bluff that the Canadians were backed by artillery and USAAF bombers and that they were prepared to go to war.

The much larger Soviet force backed down, and Denmark was saved.

Dr Mark Felton covers this well in his YouTube synopsis.

Although I must say you've done the story justice Neal.

• Thanks 1