Another reason we could lose players

So those that are leaving because their contract is up will walk away and get a signing bonus and whatever wages they can screw out of their next club. Those left get a pay cut. 

I'm glad the clauses are in the contracts, but I can't imagine those left behind will have been impressed with the effort shown by those who are about to do one. No wonder Bannan gets angry with other players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

C9E41F3B-6FC0-4B5B-89A8-51E56FFA318F.jpeg

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-players-could-be-hit-hard-in-the-pocket-by-relegation-to-league-one-3216297

obviously means increased risk of losing players unless we give them new revised contracts, but also great that these clauses are in place 

Perform badly in any job and this is what potentially happens. We'll be reyt

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, bazapeps said:

We don’t know what he was offered here versus what he was on at Cardiff and don’t know how much he’d drop based on relegation. 

So we either offered an over the top wage or it’s an inconsequential wage drop.. doesn’t seem like it’s going to be good either way. I mean there’s no way he’s going to end up on half his Cardiff wages for example when at the start of the season we were odds on for relegation. The story doesn’t make much sense  

6 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If they signed a contract with clauses in for wage deductions in League 1 then more fool them.

I would expect ALL the EFL club's, at least, will have some form of clause to this effect in players contracts.

I believe Dem Blunt's have the very same, after all, a football player cannot be made redundant in bad time's, like any normal workforce, sadly.

7 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If they signed a contract with clauses in for wage deductions in League 1 then more fool them.

It should be the norm in every contract at every club. 

Relegation = pay cut. 

The madness of player wages has to be addressed at some point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-players-could-be-hit-hard-in-the-pocket-by-relegation-to-league-one-3216297

obviously means increased risk of losing players unless we give them new revised contracts, but also great that these clauses are in place 

Glad to see we have actually had the sense to put relegation clauses into players contracts. 

Don't see this as a bad thing in this situation at all.

52 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It should be the norm in every contract at every club. 

Relegation = pay cut. 

The madness of player wages has to be addressed at some point. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

I can see squad wage caps set for each league coming in the next couple of years if this so called fan led review has anything to do about it.

13 hours ago, Plonk said:

Not sure why this is “ another reason we might lose players”? All those players signed those contracts. The only way we can “ lose” them is we decide to flog them. And other than the couple mentioned I can’t see there being a big queue for the remainder, other than on free transfers. In fact I think one or two might struggle to get another club.

^^^^

This

Quite frankly if the players who signed these contracts subsequently want to leave, then that just proves to me they aren't up to the fight and we're best off rid of them.

Whoever made sure this clause was in the contracts, well played Sir!

13 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Agreed, great move by the club.

However one Swallow doesn't make a summer so expect some Chansiri based tomfoolery coming along shortly.

I disagree!!... when i was 16 one swallow made my summer.....actually it was 3 or 4... but Chansiri wasn't involved! 😃

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Surely this should be an added kick up the jacksie for them to actually try and win games then? Nobody wants a pay cut no matter how much you're on, so why do we get the lackadaisical performances that we see most weeks from a lot of these players? 

29 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

They're not exactly playing like they'll lose out of they go down. 

No, but then most of them are moving on, the few left probably think they can be transferred....or more likely realise they pulled a fast one in the first place when they signed by impersonating a footballer.