Another reason we could lose players

They signed the contract, agreeing to terms. Happy to accept the big wage throughout this season, all collectively responsible for relegation, so expect them to honour their contracts....if Moore wants to keep them. If not, they are free to leave subject to a fee.

However, I am genuinely surprised we have such clauses in place. Chansiri and forward planning, not usually associated. For all he's got wrong (and there is a lot), well done on this aspect. 

The other issue though is for the players we keep and for each wage we reduce, means the player walks away for nothing when their contract expires at the end of next season. Short term gain, for long term financial pain, negating any asset value we may have had in the squad.

Not sure why this is “ another reason we might lose players”? All those players signed those contracts. The only way we can “ lose” them is we decide to flog them. And other than the couple mentioned I can’t see there being a big queue for the remainder, other than on free transfers. In fact I think one or two might struggle to get another club.

• Like 2

If the big earners are out of contract and the remaining players will have to take a massive pay cut, then i'm guessing Chansiri is hoping we will go down. The championship player market has been destroyed with covid, so I doubt any player is going to find it easy to find another club.

• Haha 1

If anyone is willing to offer them more, they are more than welcome to take it.

I was thinking the other day - remember when we ended up in League 1 with zero money and a bunch of overpaid, worthless players back in the early '00s?

That close season where we essentially had to bring in an entirely new squad of 20+ free transfers was actually proper fascinating.  The summer where we brought in the likes of Glenn Whelan, Steve McLean, JP McGovern, Chris Brunt, Graeme Lee etc.  We spent almost nothing and actually ended up with quite a well-balanced squad with a little bit of quality and experience.

The only problem is - I absolutely don't trust our current 'recruitment team' to do anything like as good a job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, striker said:

They signed the contract, agreeing to terms. Happy to accept the big wage throughout this season, all collectively responsible for relegation, so expect them to honour their contracts....if Moore wants to keep them. If not, they are free to leave subject to a fee.

However, I am genuinely surprised we have such clauses in place. Chansiri and forward planning, not usually associated. For all he's got wrong (and there is a lot), well done on this aspect. 

The other issue though is for the players we keep and for each wage we reduce, means the player walks away for nothing when their contract expires at the end of next season. Short term gain, for long term financial pain, negating any asset value we may have had in the squad.

Surely if we ho straight back up, that would be reflected in their contract the same way. If things are good and they get an increase why would tbey want to walk away?

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

Reduce wages during COVID / times where belts need to be tightened 

Wonder what the trade of is between reduced players wages / loss of top earners Vs championship comp / sponsorship money 

Thankfully we have the best Accountants in the Football League

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

Guest T Hardy

Also I respect our local press but christ, these articles are becoming very difficult to read in the middle of 10 billion adverts

Whilst relegation clauses are obviously necessary and sensible, there'll be a certain irony to players having to take a pay cut should we be relegated by fewer than six points, meaning that their on-pitch performances would have kept us up and the chairman's actions alone have relegated us. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If they signed a contract with clauses in for wage deductions in League 1 then more fool them.

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

Amazes me that we had the foresight to include such a clause in their contracts.

It's exactly the kind of thing you would expect us to have not even thought about. So kudos where its due.

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

If this is the case that players have a relegation wage decrease then hats off to Chansiri for this. It should be in everyone’s contract at every club that if you get relegated you have to take a pay decrease. 

It's standard practice at every football club.

98% of players will have this is their contracts it's nothing special.

You have Promotion increase and Relegation decrease.

It's a nothing story - slow news day, Anyone could've come up with this:

"But it is understood that some – if not all – of the players set to stay on at Hillsborough are facing a drop in wages should they be unable to beat the drop"

You could write that story about any club facing relegation and any club facing promotion.

• Like 2