Five Weirs Walk City Centre to meadowhall

First time that I've done the Five Wiers Walk all the way to meadowhall. 

Some nice bits and some industrial bits. 

there is still a largish section closed off after the floods a few years ago they means walking on the road. 

Has anyone ever done this?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Not yet no - I dont' actually know the route or where it starts/ends so this video will be valuable thanks for posting it! 
going to watch it right now with my morning cofffee!

I found the signs quite easy to follow. Just a bit of google mappage in the diversion to confirm if I was lost or not. I'd not really studied the route before I went...and I'm always getting lost.

I hopped on it at Lady's Bridge, but you can get on from Blonk Street or Wicker Arches too.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, Paolo Coopio said:

I found the signs quite easy to follow. Just a bit of google mappage in the diversion to confirm if I was lost or not. I'd not really studied the route before I went...and I'm always getting lost.

I hopped on it at Lady's Bridge, but you can get on from Blonk Street or Wicker Arches too.

Thanks I’m going to have to try it when the sunshine returns!

Appreciate you posting the videos they’re great 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I have walked on the 5 Weirs Walk countless times.

Used to live near Meadowhall so used to walk to the City Centre before every away game just about to catch the ICO coaches on Paternoster Row / Flat Street.

Also used to work nearby so on Sunny days went there on my lunch hour and sat on a bench reading a book watching the world go by. 

One of the walks I did during the lockdown and was sorry to see the section behind Thessco still closed.

They is also a walk along the canal that runs almost parallel to 5 Weirs Walk that starts at Blonk Street and goes to Meadowhall and the onto Rotherham and finishes just after the New York Stadium. I think parts of the after Tinsley Viaduct are closed sadly though.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have walked on the 5 Weirs Walk countless times.

Used to live near Meadowhall so used to walk to the City Centre before every away game just about to catch the ICO coaches on Paternoster Row / Flat Street.

Also used to work nearby so on Sunny days went there on my lunch hour and sat on a bench reading a book watching the world go by. 

One of the walks I did during the lockdown and was sorry to see the section behind Thessco still closed.

They is also a walk along the canal that runs almost parallel to 5 Weirs Walk that starts at Blonk Street and goes to Meadowhall and the onto Rotherham and finishes just after the New York Stadium. I think parts of the after Tinsley Viaduct are closed sadly though.

Ah yes I want to go do the canal route too very soon. 

I've done segments here and there but not the whole thing. 

• Like 1

I’ve run from the canal basin out to Meadowhall along the towpath then back to town on the 5 weirs walk.  Always various bits closed off but I’ve seen some off-route parts of Sheffield that I never would have otherwise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

The bit where you have to detour due to it been closed, has a very old cobbled street  that must have been like that for decades. 

yeah. And with the amount of heavy lorries around there it seems to hold up pretty well compared to the cheap layer of tarmac they put down on modern roads. Seems to be a lot of cobbles around that way.

7 hours ago, Big Malc said:

I’ve run from the canal basin out to Meadowhall along the towpath then back to town on the 5 weirs walk.  Always various bits closed off but I’ve seen some off-route parts of Sheffield that I never would have otherwise.

Agreed, it's not the most pleasant in some places but it's always interesting to get a change of scenery.

its nice walking thru Salmon Pastures and the old school brick plaque is still there.

little oasis in the middle of industrial area.. and under the bridge at attercliffe road.

would love to see what it was like before when the school was there.

We regularly walk down to the wicker and upto that point at lunchtime.. just enough time to do that in 30mins.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doctor Duran said:

its nice walking thru Salmon Pastures and the old school brick plaque is still there.

little oasis in the middle of industrial area.. and under the bridge at attercliffe road.

would love to see what it was like before when the school was there.

We regularly walk down to the wicker and upto that point at lunchtime.. just enough time to do that in 30mins.

Thats definitely the better half of the route I believe.

I wonder if they are planning on rebuilding the section after Attercliffe Road (Washford Bridge I think it is) or just leaving it permanently closed?

On 27/04/2021 at 07:03, @owlstalk said:

Not yet no - I dont' actually know the route or where it starts/ends so this video will be valuable thanks for posting it! 
going to watch it right now with my morning cofffee!

It goes through to Rotherham.  Bring plenty of film.