Reda Johnson v Jordan Rhodes

10 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

There are similarities in the sense that both their careers were shot in their late twenties

Funny one Reda

Cult hero here due to giving his all and connecting with the fans over social media 

A real asset going forward and great at set plays

However he was first and foremost a defender and to be frank he was dreadful at it

There was a reason he ended up at Eastleigh 

He should have played for England we would have won the WC, I did mention it at the time.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Basement Jack said:

There are similarities in the sense that both their careers were shot in their late twenties

Funny one Reda

Cult hero here due to giving his all and connecting with the fans over social media 

A real asset going forward and great at set plays

However he was first and foremost a defender and to be frank he was dreadful at it

There was a reason he ended up at Eastleigh 

As far as I recall he got a bad injury at Wednesday and never fully recovered and kept getting  more minor injuries. I think he would have made LB his own position at Hillsborough if not. Yes he had a mistake in him but he got better and made less than when he was first at the club, plus his nuisance value in the opposition box and never say die attitude were real assets. Those of us old enough saw how poor Sterland looked in his first few games and how he developed. Reda, though obviously not at the same level, had some similarities and was a loss in my eyes. But towards the end of his Wednesday career it was clear that injuries had already taken their toll.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

As far as I recall he got a bad injury at Wednesday and never fully recovered and kept getting  more minor injuries. I think he would have made LB his own position at Hillsborough if not. Yes he had a mistake in him but he got better and made less than when he was first at the club, plus his nuisance value in the opposition box and never say die attitude were real assets. Those of us old enough saw how poor Sterland looked in his first few games and how he developed. Reda, though obviously not at the same level, had some similarities and was a loss in my eyes. But towards the end of his Wednesday career it was clear that injuries had already taken their toll.

Yeah that’s a good point mate

I do recall him having injuries

I didn’t dislike Reda he was ok 

I just think sometimes when players become crowd favorites our recollections of them can be clouded 

or maybe I just have this picture in my head of him very often being massively out of position

Good Sterland analogy too. 
Reda did improve 

1 hour ago, Dooogs said:

What happened to Reda's career? I know he wasn't a Prem player, cult hero that he was for us, but I'm surprised he didn't carve out a career as a L1 goalscoring utility dude 

The usual story of injuries robbing him of the limited ability he had I think.

Having said that he really was the right man as the right time for us.

Became a favourite for the sort of wholehearted performances that none of our current squad are able to display.

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Rubbish. Reda was just big enough and strong enough to make sure he got on the end of crosses no matter who was in his way..

The last player I remember doing that was Madjid. 

Awesome song as well.

What's that coming over the hill?...

If reda had brought Rhodes down when through and we 4-3 up v Huddersfield.

Rhodes wouldn't have scored 4 

We win 4-3. 

And Rhodes wouldn't have been the legend in our minds at Hillsborough he was. 

Funny old game 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, reggae said:

If reda had brought Rhodes down when through and we 4-3 up v Huddersfield.

Rhodes wouldn't have scored 4 

We win 4-3. 

And Rhodes wouldn't have been the legend in our minds at Hillsborough he was. 

Funny old game 

"Reda's fault!!!"

:Chansiri:

I get why your making the similarity, due to ammount of games and goals. 

Though were talking about two completely different players. 

Reda a defender Jordan a striker. 

Reda was big, strong and athletic. 

Jordan looks more like a 40year old wandered in from a local pub team lol

The one big similarity for me is reda was a defender prone to mistakes and  not defending well enough, Jordan a striker who hasn't been ineffective too often during his time here and hasn't scored enough goals. 

For me I'd like to see the comparison between Jordan, hooper, joao, Nuhiu and fletch on a goals per game ratio, it could prove interesting. 

16 minutes ago, poite said:

Isn't it strange how josh windass has started to play alot better and score more goals since he's been lined up with Rhodes? 

It's certainly noticeable that both he and Rhodes are benefitting from Moore's more attack-minded approach.

Here's how often Windass has averaged a goal or assist under the different managers so far during his time at Wednesday:

Monk: 210 minutes

Pulis: 252 minutes

Thompson: 206 minutes

Moore: 134 minutes

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's certainly noticeable that both he and Rhodes are benefitting from Moore's more attack-minded approach.

Here's how often Windass has averaged a goal or assist under the different managers so far during his time at Wednesday:

Monk: 210 minutes

Pulis: 252 minutes

Thompson: 206 minutes

Moore: 134 minutes

Thanks that's interesting to see. 

I'm not of the opinion that Rhodes is the reason we win but I do find it frustrating that his goals are the only thing that seem to define him in the eyes of so many people. 

Sometimes it feels like the guy could be part of a side who win 10 in a row and he'd only ever get credit if he personally scores. 

Football is a team game. The aim is to win and if the team with Rhodes in it do that then he should be praised as part of that formula not criticised for his own goal tally. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, poite said:

I'm not of the opinion that Rhodes is the reason we win but I do find it frustrating that his goals are the only thing that seem to define him in the eyes of so many people. 

Sometimes it feels like the guy could be part of a side who win 10 in a row and he'd only ever get credit if he personally scores. 

Football is a team game. The aim is to win and if the team with Rhodes in it do that then he should be praised as part of that formula not criticised for his own goal tally. 

To be honest, for much of his time here (and at previous clubs), his goals have defined him because he hasn't consistently offered a great deal more than that. And that's not necessarily a bad thing; it's just par for the course with an old-fashioned goal-poacher.

When we first signed him, I spoke to a Blackburn fan and was amazed how lukewarm he was on Rhodes, given his goal tally for them. He basically said that he's not a particularly good footballer outside the penalty box, but has a knack for getting on the end of knock-downs and crosses before defenders.

His reaction has stuck with me over the last four years of watching Rhodes struggle to find his place in a team which wasn't built to suit him, and as much as it's ridiculous that we signed Rhodes to play in a system which wouldn't get the best out of him, there's also an element of frustration at how long it's taken Rhodes to adapt his game and start to offer more to the team than his penalty-box instincts alone.

It does seem like Rhodes has worked hard and is now adding these other elements to his game, which is good to see. I've posted on here before a few stats from the recent Barnsley game, which show how much of an improvement there was in his all-round game compared to the general pattern we've seen from him during his time here, and it's not the only strong performance we've seen from him recently, regardless of whether or not he scored.

I'm not sure we've been able to say the same too many times in previous years, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

One for the Jordan Rhodes fan club. Jordan Rhodes 80 games 15 goals (league). Reda Johnson 75 games 18 goals (league). Says it all really.

13 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

One for the Jordan Rhodes fan club. Jordan Rhodes 80 games 15 goals (league). Reda Johnson 75 games 18 goals (league). Says it all really.

Reda who played almost every minute of every game of those 75. 

Rhodes who comes on with three minutes to play in about half of his 81. 

Do the minutes per goal ratio. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, poite said:

Something I looked at - and posted about on some of the many Rhodes threads over the years - was his contribution in the half-season we had him on loan. People were going on about how he was a disaster because he only scored three goals and then didn't take a penalty in the Play-offs, but I'd noticed that he was centrally involved in the majority of the crucial points-gaining goals (i.e. winning or 'go-ahead' goals) during that spell, either as the goalscorer himself or providing the assist. A contribution that was absolutely vital in securing a Play-off place.

I also wasn't surprised he wasn't confident with being in the five named penalty-takers in the shoot-out either: he hadn't been one in the shoot-out where Huddersfield beat the Pigs a few years previously (despite his incredible scoring record that season), and he'd missed his most recent one for us in the league game against Leeds. The other thing that I noticed - and this continued even since then when his goalscoring record has been poor - his presence still has an effect on defenders: they know of his past reputation and can't afford to let him out of their sight, and that has allowed him to help open opportunities up for teammates.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Something I looked at - and posted about on some of the many Rhodes threads over the years - was his contribution in the half-season we had him on loan. People were going on about how he was a disaster because he only scored three goals and then didn't take a penalty in the Play-offs, but I'd noticed that he was centrally involved in the majority of the crucial points-gaining goals (i.e. winning or 'go-ahead' goals) during that spell, either as the goalscorer himself or providing the assist.

Well that is just simply not true.

He scored the opener in a 3-0 win over Birmingham and two in a 5-1 thrashing of Norwich. So none of those goals made any points difference in the way such things are normally presented. In his entire spell at the club he has only 3 assists (one of those coming just a few weeks ago), and only 1 came in his first season. And we had a 6 point cushion over the team in 7th anyway.