Fan Ownership of Football Clubs

Fan Ownership  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Should fans own 51% or more of the club they support?

• Yes
    • No

Guest timrud

Look at the trouble Wednesdayite caused when they owned 10%

Compounded by the amateur running of the new trust who were completely embarrassed by the club in the minutes of the recent fans forum

On 21/04/2021 at 13:02, owlinexile said:

You shouldn't be able to make money from owning a football club.

Why not? What is so different about football to any other entertainment business?

I don't see the amounts that the 'stars ' of stage and screen are getting being discussed. And incidentally, how much would one of the top stars be paid for a performance at, say the Arena , for aa show ? And how much are the tickets for such a show, at which the star performer probably does a maximum of 60 minute or so?

The owners of Man Utd , the Glaser Bros, have never felt any compnction in paying well into £8-figure transferbfees let alone  £5 figure per week to the player. Of the 'Super 6 ', how much has been spent in transfer fees for each club? The Owners are shrewd business-men. Yes you will get periodically teams like Leicester and, once, Blackburn, who upset the applecart, but what happens? Where are Blackburn now?

Football has changed. At one time, a club's, and it's fans, aspirations were to win either the League 1 or the FA Cup. This no longer applies. Without being racist, can anyone name, let alone pronounce, the names of all their players, such is the extent to which foreign football has infiltrated our game.

To achieve success today requires large amounts of cash,. This would mean that , to buy ONE player for £50 million (not a fortune these days in football) would require a club lke Wednesday,with say an estimated 25,000 supporters, each shareholder or fan would have to put in a minimum of £2,000  plus wages and associated costs, per season, on top of Admission  prices. Are there fans out there prepared to pay this money?  I'm not,

As for fans 'owning the club' how many of the fans in the Allan and pre Allen eras actually had shares in the club? 

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Why not? What is so different about football to any other entertainment business?

I don't see the amounts that the 'stars ' of stage and screen are getting being discussed. And incidentally, how much would one of the top stars be paid for a performance at, say the Arena , for aa show ? And how much are the tickets for such a show, at which the star performer probably does a maximum of 60 minute or so?

The owners of Man Utd , the Glaser Bros, have never felt any compnction in paying well into £8-figure transferbfees let alone  £5 figure per week to the player. Of the 'Super 6 ', how much has been spent in transfer fees for each club? The Owners are shrewd business-men. Yes you will get periodically teams like Leicester and, once, Blackburn, who upset the applecart, but what happens? Where are Blackburn now?

Football has changed. At one time, a club's, and it's fans, aspirations were to win either the League 1 or the FA Cup. This no longer applies. Without being racist, can anyone name, let alone pronounce, the names of all their players, such is the extent to which foreign football has infiltrated our game.

To achieve success today requires large amounts of cash,. This would mean that , to buy ONE player for £50 million (not a fortune these days in football) would require a club lke Wednesday,with say an estimated 25,000 supporters, each shareholder or fan would have to put in a minimum of £2,000  plus wages and associated costs, per season, on top of Admission  prices. Are there fans out there prepared to pay this money?  I'm not,

As for fans 'owning the club' how many of the fans in the Allan and pre Allen eras actually had shares in the club? 

Cos apart from Man Utd and Juventus they are not legally businesses but companies with community objectives.

But Brentford made £20 million profit last year, owned by  a fan.

Fans wouldnt have to subsidise any clubs well run.

5 hours ago, timrud said:

Look at the trouble Wednesdayite caused when they owned 10%

Can we have a run down on the trouble they caused ?

Is refusing to hand over shares  classes as trouble?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Newcastle United currently valued by owner at 300mill. If fans wanted to purchase 51%

Alternatively, Newcastle are about the same size as Schalke, and so 160000 members could be a realistic number for them, and would only need to pay in £900 each for 51%.

Still a lot of money but not beyond everything.  Government loans could buy the 51% with fans groups paying it back over the course of a few years, like all loans.

I agree it's hard for fans to find £150m instantly, In fact I think it's close to impossible.  

10 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

I'd love it if we could find a way for fans to run the club. 

But my priority at the moment would be for some clever people to run the club.

Just to be crystal clear, I want proper football people running the club, no way do I want it to be the fans.

Owning the football club is a completely different matter though, you can own something even though you don't run it.

49 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Alternatively, Newcastle are about the same size as Schalke, and so 160000 members could be a realistic number for them, and would only need to pay in £900 each for 51%.

Still a lot of money but not beyond everything.  Government loans could buy the 51% with fans groups paying it back over the course of a few years, like all loans.

I agree it's hard for fans to find £150m instantly, In fact I think it's close to impossible.  

I listened to an interview this afternoon with David Conn regarding the German ownership model and he reckons we’re too far down the line interns of fans raising the money to buy shares in the club as they are now priced higher than any fans group could afford. He did say, however, that a far more feasible solution would be the setting up of a board with fans representatives being voted on that would then have to authorise any major changes that are proposed - like changing the badge, team colours, relocation to a new site etc. That would protect the club and keep it community based. 

43 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

I listened to an interview this afternoon with David Conn regarding the German ownership model and he reckons we’re too far down the line interns of fans raising the money to buy shares in the club as they are now priced higher than any fans group could afford. He did say, however, that a far more feasible solution would be the setting up of a board with fans representatives being voted on that would then have to authorise any major changes that are proposed - like changing the badge, team colours, relocation to a new site etc. That would protect the club and keep it community based. 

Wouldn't that hold the club back as we are all very traditional and sometimes you need someone to come in and stir things up?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Some lad jumped off a balcony had to be rushed to hospital.  Was out cold by the looks of it.

I've learned over that balcony when the wife and I go out for a walk round of an evening. It's a bit of a drop. I hope he will be ok.

20 hours ago, Yellowbelly said:

Let’s use Newcastle as an example.

Newcastle United currently valued by owner at 300mill. If fans wanted to purchase 51% then 20K of them would have to put in 7.5K EACH. That 20 thousand people then having a unified voice in the future of their club.

But how can you get 20 thousand people to agree? Majority rule? But then you’ve paid 7 grand and still not getting your way. What about the bloke whose stumped up for the other 49%? He’s just spent 150 mill for a business he doesn’t have full control over AND the fans would still expect him to put his hand in his pocket for signings, wages etc. Would you in his position?

Nice idea - don’t see how it could work.

You have just described how most large companies are owned and of they seem capable of operating successfully despite having thousands of shareholders. The idea that to be successful a football club should be owned and managed by a single individual like a chippie is certainly not borne out by the experience of SWFC. 

14 hours ago, kobayashi said:

You have just described how most large companies are owned and of they seem capable of operating successfully despite having thousands of shareholders. The idea that to be successful a football club should be owned and managed by a single individual like a chippie is certainly not borne out by the experience of SWFC. 

Football isn’t  your average business though is it? Your average PLC largely have one goal - make money for the shareholders. A football club is judged on a completely different set of criteria.