Contract talks on the back-burner at Sheffield Wednesday – at all levels

With so many players likely to leave the club we will have to heavily relay on signing free agents to put together team for next season. 

Problem is that by the time we decide to get of our a55 and start to talk with out of contract players, most of them (those that are any good at least) will already agree to sign for other clubs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

Sounds like a  buyer is in the wings to me. 

Thought exactly the same. Suspending contract talks right across the board suggests something’s happening. Why commit to contracts when you might be selling up, which I thinks been the case for a lot longer than people think?

Guest LondonOwl313
5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Joining the super league next week.

Chansiri is just waiting for them to call back.

Will we have to play Tuesdays and Thursdays then to make sure we fit in the Johnstone paint trophy? Sounds tiring 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

yeah I get all that, but my point was the super league has no bearing on contracts for SWFC players 

Unless there are six more places available in the PL and therefore Championship as a knock-on effect. Unlikely, but you never know.

TBH even if we did retain our Championship status, how many of the current players would you really re-sign with the extra cash?

I'd wave most of them goodbye, for sure almost all will have to take considerable wage cuts wherever they end up IMO.

51 minutes ago, malek said:

With so many players likely to leave the club we will have to heavily relay on signing free agents to put together team for next season. 

Problem is that by the time we decide to get of our a55 and start to talk with out of contract players, most of them (those that are any good at least) will already agree to sign for other clubs. 

Said the exact same thing last week.....................the groundwork needs to be done NOW.

We may all disagree on what players to sign but there are enough decent out of contract players out there to build a competetive side for league 1 , but in true Wednesday style we will leave it too late and end up with all the dregs.........again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Andy W
7 hours ago, mogbad said:

I don’t know enough about the U18’s & U23’s to comment but as far as the first team players are concerned I wouldn’t hold contract talks with any of them. 

Yep...not one

See me I could’ve made it big but you live with the choice you choose
The signal’s sh*t but I’ll show you later nearly got me a million views
He had to call it quits cos he had two kids the dream went on a back burner
And everybody round here's got a cousin or a mate who’s best friends with Alex Turner...

I’m tellin ya
Don’t believe the hype

12 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Might be missing something here, but how is being in the Championship or L1 (almost certainly) determining which U18 players we keep and U23 players for that matter? First team players I can understand as some of them may think they're better than L1 footballers (though many may be deluded in this respect). 

If we were to be in the Championship we would have a larger budget and therefore any U18 U23 that are borderline getting a contract may get one whereas relegation they may miss out. More likely to have more professionals(including U23s) in the Championship.