If only Chansiri had listened...

4 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem wasn't really spending money on a few quality players to push us into the top six and closer to promotion. That first seasons recruitment was good business. 

It's what came afterwards that was the problem. We wasted so much money on squad players we didn't need like urby, horrific signings like abdi and of course it got worse paying big wages for over the hill, overpaid journeyman like Jones and boyd. 

Oh and of course while we were crying out for a left back, a replacement for loovens and a central midfielder to replace hutch. He goes and wastes £10+ million on Rhodes and his wages when we already had 6 strikers at the club. 

Splashing the cash would still have been not a problem with ffp if we'd have been smart, after season 1 if rumours were to be believed, Burnley were after Lees for around £8 million, Fulham for Nando £10/12 mil along with some substantial bids for both Lee, Westwood and bazza. A proper football club run right. Would have got £30 million from selling them and reinvested it whilst still making a profit. That's where we failed. 

Exactly. Every fan likes new players coming in. But we also know you have to sell sometimes to keep things fresh. We’ve had offers for loads of our players that would have been a profit on what we paid for them. Fans being happy when we signed players hardly makes us complicit in the financial mismanagement.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The problem wasn't really spending money on a few quality players to push us into the top six and closer to promotion. That first seasons recruitment was good business. 

It's what came afterwards that was the problem. We wasted so much money on squad players we didn't need like urby, horrific signings like abdi and of course it got worse paying big wages for over the hill, overpaid journeyman like Jones and boyd. 

Oh and of course while we were crying out for a left back, a replacement for loovens and a central midfielder to replace hutch. He goes and wastes £10+ million on Rhodes and his wages when we already had 6 strikers at the club. 

Splashing the cash would still have been not a problem with ffp if we'd have been smart, after season 1 if rumours were to be believed, Burnley were after Lees for around £8 million, Fulham for Nando £10/12 mil along with some substantial bids for both Lee, Westwood and bazza. A proper football club run right. Would have got £30 million from selling them and reinvested it whilst still making a profit. That's where we failed. 

Spot on.

6 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Yes, I agree, although at the time I was behind Chansiri's spending policy.

It's other things I've criticized Chansiri for mainly.

To be fair, it was Carlos who believed that we needed a squad of that size, based on his belief that players couldn't play two games in a week.

As you say, the spending was often concentrated on areas where it wasn't needed.

Who's to blame for that I'm not sure.

And I think that the in, out, shake it all about policy contributed to our injuries.

Like cars need running, players need playing, especially in a cold climate.

A player like Hoops, because of his physiology, was always prone to losing form for instance.

6 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Exactly. Every fan likes new players coming in. But we also know you have to sell sometimes to keep things fresh. We’ve had offers for loads of our players that would have been a profit on what we paid for them. Fans being happy when we signed players hardly makes us complicit in the financial mismanagement.

That's true.

And as Shezza says, the spending wasn't always in the right areas.

My defence of Chansiri has always been that a lot of the gambling was down to the 15 years which had preceded him.

Rivals like Derby had been investing steadily for some years, so we'd a lot of catching up to do.

And the lack of a youth policy is something which has dogged the club for decades.

REgarding sales, I think that the problem was that it was often rival clubs who wanted our players, so it would have been a six-pointer had we sold.

20 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

...to our advice back in 2015/16.

Everyone on this site was of one accord.

We begged him not to spend.

We didn't want quality players like Forestieri and Hooper bringing into the club.

Nor did we want a shot at promotion.

We wanted money investing in sustainability, youth development and the like.

So what if we'd have to wait another decade to have a go?

I mean, we'd only been outside the top flight for 15 years, so what's having to wait another 10?

This mess is entirely of Channers' own making, and it was done explicitly against our wishes.

And if you believe that, then you'll believe that I'm off out on a date with Taylor this week.

And what's more, my wife's driving me there.

Taylor.png

Yeah but we thought he would actually sell some players as they got older and keep replacing them with quality players not keep them. Maybe he thought they were like Star Wars figures and keep going up in value. He also doesn’t tie down the promising young players just lets their contracts run out - mental 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Yeah but we thought he would actually sell some players as they got older and keep replacing them with quality players not keep them. Maybe he thought they were like Star Wars figures and keep going up in value. He also doesn’t tie down the promising young players just lets their contracts run out - mental 

True.

I'm not defending that; just like I've not defended his hiring and firing of managers, nor his stubbornness.

All I'm saying is that not everything is his fault, and most fans backed him to have a go after 15 years outside the top flight.

But I agree that he could have had a go better.