Osaze Urhoghide

14 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Didn’t we give the likes of Jack Stobbs a 2.5 year deal when he blatantly wasn’t good enough.. I mean last summer Shaw and Urgohide were players with a bit of potential and not much more, they’re still players with potential and it’s not clear they definitely make it still. Who knows who’s responsibility the youth team contracts are, could be Chansiri or could be the managers 

So what? It’s a low risk gamble giving Stobbs a 2 year extension. If he develops great we’ve got an asset on our hands, if he doesn’t oh well it’s not a huge chunk of wages. When you’re staffing millions a week on some of the crap we have - the wages Jack Stobbs earns doesn’t bare much significance.

Same could have been said for Shaw and Osaze.

It’s simply a breakdown of communication. When Meire was CEO her remit was to extend the contract of our youth players. And that’s what she did. Since she left no one has been doing this and lo and behold two promising young players walk away for peanuts.

It’s just another damning indictment of Captain Chaos and his rudderless ship

• Like 5

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Well because at the time he was offered it it was pretty clear he was never going to make the grade.. was just a squad filler for the u23s. So point is, it requires someone to make the right calls on these youth prospects.. it’s all hindsight saying offer Shaw/Urgohide long deals. That’s £200k that would be better off not spent 

I dunno, I always said he was barely a conference player. I think it was always clear that Shaw and Urhoghide had a smidge more about them than Stobbs ever did... but I suppose you can just argue I'm talking hindsight so it's all a bit of a moot point.

I find it hard to believe anyone who knows anything about football wouldn't think both Urhoghide and Shaw had far far more about them than Shaw... mystifies me why they weren't offered contracts.

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well because at the time he was offered it it was pretty clear he was never going to make the grade.. was just a squad filler for the u23s. So point is, it requires someone to make the right calls on these youth prospects.. it’s all hindsight saying offer Shaw/Urgohide long deals. That’s £200k that would be better off not spent 

Nah not having that.

Again though it doesn’t matter. He will have been on peanuts. Meanwhile Abdi is sat in the reserves doing absolutely f all picking up 20k a week.

It’s just bad club management that’s all it is. It was actually refreshing to see Katrien look out for the younger players and give them decent extensions at the right time. Because of this we actually managed to get fees for Baker and Thorniley. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

You are assuming that DC will allow Moore to dictate transfer policy. Given past record that's quite an assumption to make.

... that's why I said IF we are smart enough. Like you I actually assume from our recent past record that we won't be smart. Point stands though that there will be bargains to be had to replace the likes if Uroghide 

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

No I wouldn’t. 

I believe all promising young players should be given at least 2 year deals to see if they can fulfil their potential.

Osaze broke into the side under Monk at the start of 2020. We then decided to reflect a 19 year old lads potential with a 1 year deal DESPITE having first team games under his belt.

It’s absolute nonsense. The lad will be on peanuts compared to what we’re paying the likes of Kachunga, Brown and Paterson for being absolutely poo .

TBF he wasn't a promising young player then. He had one good game, two absolute mares and didn't play in the first team again for the rest of the season.

The next first team game he played was 30th January 2021.

Just now, Hookowl said:

TBF he wasn't a promising young player then. He had one good game, two absolute mares and didn't play in the first team again for the rest of the season.

So it’s ok that he’s walking away for peanuts despite being one of the shining lights of what has been a truly

miserable season?

The excuses and lengths people will go to defend the shambolic job of running a football club is mind blowing. Proper cult like stuff

• Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I dunno, I always said he was barely a conference player. I think it was always clear that Shaw and Urhoghide had a smidge more about them than Stobbs ever did... but I suppose you can just argue I'm talking hindsight so it's all a bit of a moot point.

I find it hard to believe anyone who knows anything about football wouldn't think both Urhoghide and Shaw had far far more about them than Shaw... mystifies me why they weren't offered contracts.

Yeah I agree they always looked much better. But it does suggest a lack of consistency in the clubs approach. Is this Chansiri’s fault, has he changed tack vs 2 years earlier and decided not to offer longer contracts. Or is it a manager thing.. Jos could have had a hand in it whereas Monk didn’t. It’s never clear where the responsibility lies

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

And yes he was a promising young player! 18 years old breaking into the first team - in relation to Sheffield Wednesday that is a promising young player. He should be in contact and we should be benefiting from his potential.

Instead he’ll walk away for nothing and someone else will get to find out if he’s going to be a very good player or not.

Great isn’t it? 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah I agree they always looked much better. But it does suggest a lack of consistency in the clubs approach. Is this Chansiri’s fault, has he changed tack vs 2 years earlier and decided not to offer longer contracts. Or is it a manager thing.. Jos could have had a hand in it whereas Monk didn’t. It’s never clear where the responsibility lies

Katrien Meire was responsible for sorting the contracts of young players out.

She left and we completely abandoned this apparently. 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

My hypothesis has always been that DC simply forgot. 

We've heard countless rumours countless times about him having to sign off on everything, and with no CEO and no DofF and clearly waning interest, my guess is he didn't understand, care or have time to even try and sort it out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And yes he was a promising young player! 18 years old breaking into the first team - in relation to Sheffield Wednesday that is a promising young player. He should be in contact and we should be benefiting from his potential.

Instead he’ll walk away for nothing and someone else will get to find out if he’s going to be a very good player or not.

Great isn’t it? 

He didn't really break into the first team did he................Monk stuck him in and apart from one good game he was back out

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Nah not having that.

Again though it doesn’t matter. He will have been on peanuts. Meanwhile Abdi is sat in the reserves doing absolutely f all picking up 20k a week.

It’s just bad club management that’s all it is. It was actually refreshing to see Katrien look out for the younger players and give them decent extensions at the right time. Because of this we actually managed to get fees for Baker and Thorniley. 

No but someone somewhere has to make decisions on these kids and we can’t keep them all. There must be 20 new youth names a season, how many do we have on pro terms. It might even be as many as 10. We can’t just chuck  them all 200k on the off chance some make it, it’s expensive. I doubt the Baker and Thorniley fees covered the cost of their wages over the time they were here, although we at least got a few games out of Thorniley. 

The clubs in disarray and there’s no consistency that’s the main thing. Look at the contracts of Dawson, Wildsmith, Stobbs etc.. all players we’d have rather got rid of sooner

Just now, Hookowl said:

He didn't really break into the first team did he................Monk stuck him in and apart from one good game he was back out

He got injured. 

He had a great debut and then a poor follow up game. Then had a blinder against Leeds.

Absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t be offering an 18/19 year old lad a 2 year deal instead of a ridiculous 1 year deal in the summer. It’s low risk, high reward. 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

No but someone somewhere has to make decisions on these kids and we can’t keep them all. There must be 20 new youth names a season, how many do we have on pro terms. It might even be as many as 10. We can’t just chuck  them all 200k on the off chance some make it, it’s expensive. I doubt the Baker and Thorniley fees covered the cost of their wages over the time they were here, although we at least got a few games out of Thorniley. 

The clubs in disarray and there’s no consistency that’s the main thing. Look at the contracts of Dawson, Wildsmith, Stobbs etc.. all players we’d have rather got rid of sooner

I’d personally keep the ones who make first team appearances as they’re the ones with potential. Like Hunt, Shaw, Urhoghide, Baker and Thorniley, Clare.

Come on mate this is simple football. It’s Championship Manager stuff. You don’t have to own a club to realise that it’s important to have your talented young players tied down to contracts so they can fulfil their potential. If they don’t - oh well it’s low risk. 

what are/were the likes of stobbs, thorniley, shaw etc on a week - 1k if that? its pennies to keep them on for an extra year compared to paying players like abdi, urby etc 30k a week

a dozen decent games and celtic have signed shaw, it shows that even if just one comes good you can get a few million for players like this....if your a normal club of course and not wednesday

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’d personally keep the ones who make first team appearances as they’re the ones with potential. Like Hunt, Shaw, Urhoghide, Baker and Thorniley, Clare.

Come on mate this is simple football. It’s Championship Manager stuff. You don’t have to own a club to realise that it’s important to have your talented young players tied down to contracts so they can fulfil their potential. If they don’t - oh well it’s low risk. 

Well it depends totally on what our budget is.. our revenue is in the £20m’s so how much do we allocate to it.

With some of these youth players I just think we still haven’t had any that have stood out. Like a Bellingham or a Sessegnon. If we did then it would be a no brainer, but the players we’re losing aren’t even quite ready to be first choice here, and our team is pretty terrible. 

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, dani_armo said:

what are/were the likes of stobbs, thorniley, shaw etc on a week - 1k if that? its pennies to keep them on for an extra year compared to paying players like abdi, urby etc 30k a week

a dozen decent games and celtic have signed shaw, it shows that even if just one comes good you can get a few million for players like this....if your a normal club of course and not wednesday

With Shaw though.. we’re getting how much, £300k? If we’d got him signed up.. would anyone come in and pay £2m for him. I’m not sure they would. It’s probably more that Celtic can get him cheap, put him in their under 23s and have a look at him. Just because he’s going there it doesn’t mean teams of that calibre actually think he’s good enough, it’s basically a punt on their part