Coaches improving players?

Whatever happened to coaches actually working with players to improve them?

By this I mean spending hours on the training ground and in the classroom and in the gym, to improve them, physically, mentally, tactically, and more?

These days managers/coaches just want to spend a fortune, or else blame the current squad for being bobbar.

We have had a lot of crap managers and a lot of crap players drift through our club over the last 5 years. When was the last coach or manager who you feel actually improved an individual player? 

• Like 1

We'll  see next season I suppose. However, when we're having a regular discussion about current, supposed professional footballers not being able to pass the ball to a teammate....pisssing against the wind to expect anything more from this group.

• Like 2

The only player that springs to mind who improved while with us was Fox. He used to get caught out of position regularly until Bruce came in. Suddenly his positioning when defending improved no end and he became a decent player.

Maybe you could put a case in for Iorfa but we will have to wait and see, when he comes back.

• Like 2

Bit difficult to actually coach any of the players atm given two games per week. The Friday before a match is largely match prep in training for the upcoming game, the same during the day for a midweek evening game. The day after each match the players would usually get off to rest/do rehab sessions. That gives you just two days to actually spend on coaching and working one-on-one with players, can't really do a lot with that. Even less coaching time available if you consider higher occurrence of injuries/illness this past year too.

Monk improved Fox I'd say last season, one of the few things he did well in.

1 hour ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Apart from EVERY team on a bad run of form

No win in 16 games.

Haven’t won away all season.

No goals in last 10 games.

Welcome to Hillsborough. Please enjoy 3 points and a goal fest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know that Mr Moore has worked a lot with the defence especially  Liam Palmer and borner.

And I think palmer seems to be benefitting.

He has also had Hutchinson in a few management meetings and given him more responsibility. 

Bad times at the minute. 

But we have come back from worse 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 13:16, steelerian said:

Whatever happened to coaches actually working with players to improve them?

By this I mean spending hours on the training ground and in the classroom and in the gym, to improve them, physically, mentally, tactically, and more?

These days managers/coaches just want to spend a fortune, or else blame the current squad for being bobbar.

We have had a lot of crap managers and a lot of crap players drift through our club over the last 5 years. When was the last coach or manager who you feel actually improved an individual player? 

Stuart Gray.

2 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

Stuart Gray.

Convinced to this day that if we'd kept him and given him even just half the war chest that Carlos eventually got we'd be in a far better position than we are now........................as such.

Hopefully we will stick with DM and give him a half decent chance.

Edited by Utah Owl