When we put away fans in the triangle on the kop

Have we ever put away fans on the Kop?

I do remember when we played Middlesborough in last day decider in 1989 and some Middlesborough fans were on the Kop.

(Was about a month after the Hillsborough disaster and they allocation was only about 1,500 on the wing on the North Stand)

Think they were unofficially told to congregate on the Kids corner bit of the Kop and the Police would look after them.
Although I cant remember any animosity towards them only a bit of banter.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I do remember when we played Middlesborough in last day decider in 1989 and some Middlesborough fans were on the Kop.

(Was about a month after the Hillsborough disaster and they allocation was only about 1,500 on the wing on the North Stand)

Think they were unofficially told to congregate on the Kids corner bit of the Kop and the Police would look after them.

They put Millwall fans on there in the late 70's, early 80's, someone chucked a glass bottle at them, everyone watched it arc through the floodlights before it hit some Millwall fan on the head and sent him sprawling.  Wednesday fans applauded.   

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Owl in Manc said:

Stood in there loads of time as an home fan!

So did I in the 70's and 80's, don't ever remember us purposely putting away fans there.

Mind you in those days there was no segregation, away fans went where they wanted, including the home end if brave enough.

What tended to happen is the away fans would come up the back of the Kop, realise what an error they’d made and get chased down into the corner. Some were left alone but a few times they got cornered in there and had to jump over the wall before running onto the pitch.

Midlesborough and Hull ended up in serious problems as I recall

26 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

They put Millwall fans on there in the late 70's, early 80's, someone chucked a glass bottle at them, everyone watched it arc through the floodlights before it hit some Millwall fan on the head and sent him sprawling.  Wednesday fans applauded.   

I remember the Millwall game - think it was a night match around 79. They were around 40/50 of them in there and our fans kept having a rush at them. There was a big guy - stood constantly staring at our fans ignoring the match - reminded me of Buster Blood vessel.

Also, another thing that stood out that night was our fans singing the '10,000 coppers, but only one Yorkshire Ripper' song, and they responded, '...Jack the Ripper. 

Just now, Animis said:

I remember the Millwall game - think it was a night match around 79. They were around 40/50 of them in there and our fans kept having a rush at them. There was a big guy - stood constantly staring at our fans ignoring the match - reminded me of Buster Blood vessel.

Also, another thing that stood out that night was our fans singing the '10,000 coppers, but only one Yorkshire Ripper' song, and they responded, '...Jack the Ripper. 

Yep must have been that game everything you said fits.  Can't remember the result though lol  

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Away fans were regularly placed in Tango corner during the 70s and 80s

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Animis said:

They had a old woman called Ethel, She and her husband pushed by me and as she got towards them they started chanting her name....Reminded me of Sammy.

The Kop corner was probably safer than the Leppings Lane end for away fans back in the 70's and early 80's, when I started following Wednesday regularly in the mid 70's Hillsborough was not a very welcoming place for small numbers of away fans, in fact some never brought any or they filtered themselves elsewhere in the ground and kept quiet.

The Leppings Lane End did of course have segregating pens to accommodate both home and visiting fans from the mid to the late 80's, and the disaster.

10 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

The Kop corner was probably safer than the Leppings Lane end for away fans back in the 70's and early 80's, when I started following Wednesday regularly in the mid 70's Hillsborough was not a very welcoming place for small numbers of away fans, in fact some never brought any or they filtered themselves elsewhere in the ground and kept quiet.

The Leppings Lane End did of course have segregating pens to accommodate both home and visiting fans from the mid to the late 80's, and the disaster.

We used go on the Lepps and saw a few "skirmishes", coppers often wandered away.