Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

9 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

It's a nice idea but they just can't really. As you said the clubs are their employers and the players don't get a say in what competition their club plays in. If they come out against it and then are forced to play in it in 6 months time they'd get hammered. 

I hear what you say, but my whole point is that this is such a big deal in the history of the game, that IMO it warrants players saying enough is enough, I'd rather play for Aston Villa in front of real fans than for Real Madrid in a closed shop, soulless competition.

If this thing goes ahead, playing for Man Utd or Barcelona will no longer be what it was if fans aren't on side. It's the equivalent of playing for £10m a week in private matches held behind closed doors for the likes of the Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. Surely there comes a point where money is no longer important for players. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Na its not the same ...did you go to the league cup final in 91 ?

There will not be any demand for a top league with Burnley v BHA  - no disrespect to these two clubs but a league without the big sides just isn't the same.

It will kill the sport and the competition not to mention what impact this makes of the national side.

The top division managed well enough without Man. City plenty of seasons in the 80's and 90's, even in 2001. Also Chelsea in the 80's spent a lot of time out of it.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

They could still maintain the support in terms of structure from above  - but it would obviously be less in real terms due to the decrease in income at the top level.

Yes, maybe 4th division should be higher than the average wage of around £30K but the average 4th division player is currently earning over £100K a year. That could be reduced.

If you think over £2K a week in the 4th division and over £5K a week in the 3rd division is OK then I presume you are happy with our lot getting around £10K per week in the Championship or £15-20K if we were constantly top end Championship rather than the daft fees we have been paying? That would still be high for me. 

The wages are too high across the board. 

I’m not sure I’d agree with your numbers tbh, not as averages anyway. I’m sure there are players earning that in League 1 and 2, but it’s the exception not the rule. I know 3 pros quite well, James Hanson who played for Bradford and had a spell at Utd, Sean Mcallister and Danny Ward at Huddersfield. The first two never ends earnt 5k and played at league 1 level (and above for a few seasons with us for Sean Mc). Granted this is maybe 5 years or so ago though.. Ward got a massive pay rise for moving from Rotherham to Cardiff.

But from what I’ve heard I’d halve your averages for league 1 and 2

1 minute ago, Wisenightowl said:

Who'd have thought that AI means fans can no longer chant 'the referee's a wa@#ker?' Hurling abuse at a robot is just not the same.

The VAR's a W@nk3r!

25 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Na its not the same ...did you go to the league cup final in 91 ?

There will not be any demand for a top league with Burnley v BHA  - no disrespect to these two clubs but a league without the big sides just isn't the same.

It will kill the sport and the competition not to mention what impact this makes of the national side.

No I was only 4

If these 6 clubs leave there will be new best teams in the English leagues. It will move on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wisenightowl said:

I hear what you say, but my whole point is that this is such a big deal in the history of the game, that IMO it warrants players saying enough is enough, I'd rather play for Aston Villa in front of real fans than for Real Madrid in a closed shop, soulless competition.

If this thing goes ahead, playing for Man Utd or Barcelona will no longer be what it was if fans aren't on side. It's the equivalent of playing for £10m a week in private matches held behind closed doors for the likes of the Kim Jong Un and Vladimir Putin. Surely there comes a point where money is no longer important for players. 

Yeah maybe, it really would be great if some of the big names got the ball rolling. Has to start with them though doesn't it, as the fringe players will be more concerned about their future. 

It's a bit like the World Cup in Qatar, if a few of the big nations had come together and refused to take part, others would have followed and Fifa would have had their hand forced into moving it. Especially at the time Fifa were 'reforming' as they could have blamed it on the old guard and saved themselves embarrassment. 

7 minutes ago, Wisenightowl said:

Totally agree its a closed shop and the players actually have the most power to stop this but money always talks .

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Nothing to do with the ESL story but I was passing Rotherham's ground yesterday and Birmingham fans had put banners up on the railings at the entrance that were slagging off their Chinese owner. 

They were professionally printed and looked good. fair play to them for travelling to Rotherham to make their feelings known (unless they lived locally).

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

was football crap in the 80s then?

The overall standard is higher nowadays.  The players are fitter, the average player is much better technically and more skilful.  Saw some highlights of fourth division players the other day and the way they were moving the ball about would have made Division 2 players of yesteryear look pedestrian. 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The overall standard is higher nowadays.  The players are fitter, the average player is much better technically and more skilful.  Saw some highlights of fourth division players the other day and the way they were moving the ball about would have made Division 2 players of yesteryear look pedestrian. 

but does the better quality mean better games? is it better to watch now than the 80s?

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Nothing to do with the ESL story but I was passing Rotherham's ground yesterday and Birmingham fans had put banners up on the railings at the entrance that were slagging off their Chinese owner. 

They were professionally printed and looked good. fair play to them for travelling to Rotherham to make their feelings known (unless they lived locally).

We had a flag made for the Rotherham Owls the lad who did it. Had it done in no time at all.  Reckon once they have the design and material the actual printing doesn't take all that long.

4 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

As long as they are all more or less as good as each other it doesn't really matter though, does it?