Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can't see that standing up in court if challenged.  

I suppose it will depend if there is something in UEFA rules about not being allowed to play in games that arnt sanctioned by the governing body's. 

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can't see that standing up in court if challenged.  

On what possible grounds could it be challenged?

If the regulatory bodies of a sport say you aren't allowed to play in their competitions, that's their prerogative.  

These clubs are more than welcome to fizz off and start their own version of the FA/UEFA etc if they want.

• Like 5

Just now, owlinexile said:

On what possible grounds could it be challenged?

If the regulatory bodies of a sport say you aren't allowed to play in their competitions, that's their prerogative.  

These clubs are more than welcome to fizz off and start their own version of the FA/UEFA etc if they want.

Stopping players from plying their trade

17 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

This is only to benefit the clubs chosen, the rest have been cast to one side.   TV Companies are not going to plough money into the Prem without the top six.

Sounds good to me

14 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

When I was a kid in the early 80s getting promoted to the top flight playing Arsenal Spurs Man United and Liverpool were one of the reasons I got excited about watching this sport ...without the big teams we lose it all.

If there was a league were Everton and WHU were the high flyers it would make it less appealing and questions would always asked what would these teams do if the big six were allowed back, it would make it shìt if you want my honest opinion not to mention the repercussions on the small clubs further down the leagues.

But we will be left with a more down to earth game, more English players. We enjoy our football now and we will never compete at the top anyway

The whole thing is ridiculous. I haven't read this entire thread, but I imagine it's been said before that the big name premier league players, the likes of Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford, not to mention Messi et al, need to come out and say I'm not interested in a European Super League if it means I can't play for my country and the soul of the game is ripped away from fans. 

I understand they are employed by these teams, but how much do they really care about the game if they remain silent on something as big as this, when they usually can't stop themselves tweeting about every little irrelevance in the game? Hats off to Ander Herrera for coming out and being critical of the whole stupid idea.

I'm looking forward to the morally bankrupt people who came up with this batshit crazy idea being crucified in the media.

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Sounds good to me

But we will be left with a more down to earth game, more English players. We enjoy our football now and we will never compete at the top anyway

Na its not the same ...did you go to the league cup final in 91 ?

There will not be any demand for a top league with Burnley v BHA  - no disrespect to these two clubs but a league without the big sides just isn't the same.

It will kill the sport and the competition not to mention what impact this makes of the national side.

17 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

This is only to benefit the clubs chosen, the rest have been cast to one side.   TV Companies are not going to plough money into the Prem without the top six.

I don't know, if Sky and BT don't get involved with the breakaway league, domestic Football will still be their No.1 sport and they will want to broadcast whatever remains of the PL and EFL. Obviously they are not going to pay the mega money as previously but it will still be substantial amounts.

I can imagine such as Amazon being major players in broadcasting the ESL.

4 minutes ago, Wisenightowl said:

The whole thing is ridiculous. I haven't read this entire thread, but I imagine it's been said before that the big name premier league players, the likes of Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford, not to mention Messi et al, need to come out and say I'm not interested in a European Super League if it means I can't play for my country and the soul of the game is ripped away from fans. 

I understand they are employed by these teams, but how much do they really care about the game if they remain silent on something as big as this, when they usually can't stop themselves tweeting about every little irrelevance in the game? Hats off to Ander Herrera for coming out and being critical of the whole stupid idea.

I'm looking forward to the morally bankrupt people who came up with this batshit crazy idea being crucified in the media.

It's a nice idea but they just can't really. As you said the clubs are their employers and the players don't get a say in what competition their club plays in. If they come out against it and then are forced to play in it in 6 months time they'd get hammered. 

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't know, if Sky and BT don't get involved with the breakaway league, domestic Football will still be their No.1 sport and they will want to broadcast whatever remains of the PL and EFL. Obviously they are not going to pay the mega money as previously but it will still be substantial amounts.

I can imagine such as Amazon being major players in broadcasting the ESL.

I would say they would at the very least they would want to half it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

Is it just me that's already sick of hearing Gary Nevile state how he's disgusted that man united are planning on doing this 

This would be the same Manchester United that withdrew from the FA Cup to play in a fifa tournament instead 

I’m not sure what he could do about that? 

• Like 2