Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I wonder what Neville would have said had he still got 5 years left to play?

He'd be humming an ABBA tune I'd guess.

Think Neville genuinely enjoyed domestic competition and was happy with the Champions League format when playing. He is still a big Man Utd fan and has spoken out immediately against them. 

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Perhaps the most important distinction in football today is between matchgoing fans and fans who watch on TV.

You can screw so much more money out of the latter so everything is catered to them now.

Yep. The past 18 months has absolutely shown that football needs fans in the stadium but at the very top level I'm not sure the clubs are particularly bothered who the people in the stadium are. They could let fans in for free as long as they have a full stadium looking good for the global TV audience.  

If this happens. The EPL will ballot all present and former members of the premier league to award the six places vacated to nominated teams on a points system 

and we would still miss out 

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Think Neville genuinely enjoyed domestic competition and was happy with the Champions League format when playing. He is still a big Man Utd fan and has spoken out immediately against them. 

You're probably right, Neville seems a pretty genuine guy.

I was thinking of the greed from others (current players and clubs)  I should have worded it differently.

• Like 1

They should be hit with a fine, points deduction or something. 

There has to be a punishment for clubs looking to completely undermine the competition(s) they are featured in. 

It is is outrageous. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yep. The past 18 months has absolutely shown that football needs fans in the stadium but at the very top level I'm not sure the clubs are particularly bothered who the people in the stadium are. They could let fans in for free as long as they have a full stadium looking good for the global TV audience.  

Burlesconi (when Milan chairman and Italian president) foresaw a day when big clubs paid fans to be in the ground to add to the TV atmosphere, like extras in a film.

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'll always be someone who's main interest in football is from going to games, that's not going to change, I imagine you're the same. Unfortunately that's why we're all but irrelevant to the powers that be at the top level of the game.

The money we spend on a matchday goes to the club through our ticket, maybe a programme and then a bit of cash in a local pub, chippy, whatever.

Compare that to TV viewers, who are paying monthly subscriptions to TV companies, which then gets passed onto the clubs through the TV deals, plus they're getting in-play betting ads rammed down their throats to keep the money rolling in through the sponsorship deals with gambling firms. They might also be active on social media, helping keep football's PR hype machine a bit more. As far as the big clubs are concerned, it's no competition as to who's more valuable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, flo said:

I think the clubs involved are going to shoot themselves in the foot, their own fans won't want this so it won't end well. 

The "proper" fans won't want it. 

The "plastics" and fair weather ones won't give a sh*t. 

That's who these clubs seem to be geared towards these days. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The "proper" fans won't want it. 

The "plastics" and fair weather ones won't give a sh*t. 

That's who these clubs seem to be geared towards these days. 

If you don't have the proper fans involved it will get boring very quick and eventually won't work. 

Seems inevitable that this would happen. eventually

The PL is all well and good but it’s a world game now and nobody outside this country gives a t0ss about Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Southampton etc. It’s the top 6 or 7 who are box office and the rest probably just get in the way 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Django said:

Seems inevitable that this would happen. eventually

The PL is all well and good but it’s a world game now and nobody outside this country gives a t0ss about Burnley, Brighton, Palace, Southampton etc. It’s the top 6 or 7 who are box office and the rest probably just get in the way 

A lot of truth in that statement.