Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Players are not going to reject the chance to earn more money.

they would just make their own cup competition, get a load of other clubs involved. 

also all the American clubs are same teams every year, their fans don’t get bored

They have never had relegation in the USA, when fans are told about our league format they love the idea of promotion and relegation.  

• Like 1

This is infinitely worse than what USA does with NFL, NBA. 

Their systems are set up that way. Colleges etc.

This is an absolute car crash of a proposal to the systems that we have.

The SL could end up being the biggest project ever or just the same old club football teams on tour, in what feels like pre season (Money grab) friendlies. 

The 6 teams should be expelled right now. I'd rather see the grunt bags reinstated than these greedy ******** another kick of the ball in England ever again. The fans of these clubs I feel sorry for as they will have to start again at the bottom, however there's 6 non league clubs who can take the step up to fill the void. fizz em

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

also all the American clubs are same teams every year, their fans don’t get bored

Weirdly for America and American culture, their major sports leagues are uniquely set up in favour of equality. Everybody is salary capped, there are no transfer fees and the draft process favours the worst clubs. The key to not getting bored of the same 32 American teams in a league is that whoever finishes 32nd could, at least in theory, win the whole competition a year later. 

I do not expect this Super League to implement anything like the same structure (although it would be a better product if it did).

• Like 2

Greed and arrogance. Football is finally reaching the point of no return. The big clubs have been wanting this for years and I don't think they will stop but UFEA and FIFA not backing or acknowledging the tournament may be significant.

Worse bit though, Spurs and Arsenal can't even get into the Champions League yet deemed worthy of the Super League!

• Like 1

What, no Leeds?

I thought that they're supposed to be on a par with that lot, or so they keep telling us.

How will they be able to maintain a rivalry with Man Utd if the latter are in a Super League.

Tut tut.

lol

• Haha 2

Players and managers are key here. Yes some have contracts but they could refuse to sign a new one. It needs the fa to be strong in terms of not allowing them to play for the country though. Let's see what they value more. Money or playing the game

7 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

The 6 teams should be expelled right now.

We could laugh at Man City - accruing all the points to win a premier league then getting booted out before the end. 

(Maybe they wouldn’t care but yano) 

Sky changed the game massively but kept the structure the same. The rich got richer but clubs at all levels benefitted from TV money.

10 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hope Charlie Chancer appeals against this about us not being invited. 

Well, we are supposed to be one of the six biggest in the country...

At least that's what Mandy told Channers.

Just now, Kopparberg said:

We could laugh at Man City - accruing all the points to win a premier league then getting booted out before the end. 

(Maybe they wouldn’t care but yano) 

They won't. The fans who saw Weaver save the penalty at Wembley will. 

The other 250m or so who have started supporting them in the last decade won't care. 

This is players are key, if no top player wants to not play for their country then in 5 years time it's not going to be the best games is it?  They have played their hand but it really is key uefa, fifa, the fa etc stay strong on this. Yes some players won't care about playing for their country but I bet a hell of lot do! 

Won’t this just lead to the six clubs fading into obscurity as far as the English game and fans are concerned.

Won’t this lead to the six members of the new European league being expelled from the Premier League

Won’t this lead to other well run and supported clubs like Everton, West Ham , Leicester, Villa, Newcastle and Wolves becoming the new top six.

Sounds to me like the six clubs are treading a very dangerous path.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Weirdly for America and American culture, their major sports leagues are uniquely set up in favour of equality. Everybody is salary capped, there are no transfer fees and the draft process favours the worst clubs. The key to not getting bored of the same 32 American teams in a league is that whoever finishes 32nd could, at least in theory, win the whole competition a year later. 

I do not expect this Super League to implement anything like the same structure (although it would be a better product if it did).

I actually dislike that about American sports, I like a clear hierarchy 

• Like 1

I've said for years that football is only interested in the dollar it can earn from selling the TV rights, fans in the ground are irrelevant, this is another step towards that goal.

I think all this was inevitable since the top 4 became the top 6. 6 just doesn't go into 4, where as 2 of the big 6 will miss out on Champions League football.

Also, Arsenal are struggling to qualify for Europa League. That costs money and stops them from competing against the other clubs.

So the owners of the businesses will of course want European Football guaranteed. And Mark Palios made a great point. In sport you welcome competition. In business you squash the competition. This is about squashing the competition. Chelsea/Liverpool etc do not want West Ham/Leicester etc starting to threaten to qualify for the Champions League and threaten their status of being an elite club.

• Like 1