Sheffield’s Struggle

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'd tolerate scrapping at the bottom of the Championship right now.

Yes - I'm sure we'd all share that major improvement, but I would suggest it would last 18 months at best, before our fans got fed up, reminiscing about Waddle.

53 minutes ago, victorturner said:

South Yorkshire is an area with one of the lowest pay levels in the country.

"Seems like the perfect location for the most expensive tickets in the league, and let's make the merch more expensive as well. What could possibly go wrong?"

:Chansiri:

#SuccessfulBusinessman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jim said:

For a start finance. Sheffielders don’t like having to put their hand in their pocket. Yes, the ticket prices are too high here but even when they were lower there was still complaints.

Both clubs will always have at least one player that attracts criticism and hostility and let’s face it even though when things are good we’re good fan bases to play for, when things aren’t which they invariably are, we are the worst.

What a load of outdated and parochial nonsense. It would be interesting to see what objective evidence you have studied to reach such a sweeping generalisation. Just by way of two examples, a Government study of identifiable spending in 2019-20 saw Yorkshire and Humber placed third highest amongst the nine regions they had split England into, average Christmas spending in 2019 was fourth. So if they are anything to go by, the area is actually above average.

Many times down the years I've seen people suggest that we are somehow uniquely blighted by having more critical fans, or a worse atmosphere in the stadium or whatever. But by and large, I imagine that there is little difference between the clubs throughout the leagues relative to their standing and scale. Just listen to national radio phone ins for a start. They are usually dominated by supporters of Premier League clubs whinging about all the same things we do, and often when their circumstances are far better.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

What a load of outdated and parochial nonsense. It would be interesting to see what objective evidence you have studied to reach such a sweeping generalisation. Just by way of two examples, a Government study of identifiable spending in 2019-20 saw Yorkshire and Humber placed third highest amongst the nine regions they had split England into, average Christmas spending in 2019 was fourth. So if they are anything to go by, the area is actually above average.

Many times down the years I've seen people suggest that we are somehow uniquely blighted by having more critical fans, or a worse atmosphere in the stadium or whatever. But by and large, I imagine that there is little difference between the clubs throughout the leagues relative to their standing and scale. Just listen to national radio phone ins for a start. They are usually dominated by supporters of Premier League clubs whinging about all the same things we do, and often when their circumstances are far better.

Most folk round here aren’t tight with their friends and family though and would spend on that. But they have a sense of value and hate to be ripped off, and let’s be honest watching live sport is expensive as salaries have gone up and up.. even without the ridiculous pricing by DC. So they’re going to complain because they don’t see value and a lot will vote with their wallet 

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Sheffield’s not big enough or passionate enough a football city to carry two clubs. It’s been blatantly obvious for years. If the city had one club like Leeds, Leicester or Newcastle it would’ve been far more successful.

The city is certainly big enough to support 2 clubs but I agree its not a traditionally passionate football city like say Manchester Liverpool Glasgow and to a slightly lesser extent Birmingham. For those of you who think Wed v Utd is tasty go to a Glasgow derby. I have and honesty thought I was in Beirut. 

47 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

The city is certainly big enough to support 2 clubs but I agree its not a traditionally passionate football city like say Manchester Liverpool Glasgow and to a slightly lesser extent Birmingham. For those of you who think Wed v Utd is tasty go to a Glasgow derby. I have and honesty thought I was in Beirut. 

That’s because it is about religion not football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Absolutely. It’s a laughable generalisation that Sheffield folk are tighter than most. Absolute nonsense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Bristol I agree. Well Birminghams c certainly on a par with Sheffield football wise even tho its bigger.

Yes, the 2nd city has a large catchment - much bigger than Sheffield City region. There's only 3 teams, and Villa mop up the wider areas in my experience, being the more successful and established team. Birmingham FC seem to punch well below their weight considering they're in the city. West Brom is a fair way out of town as well. 

We should be proud we can sustain two (generally championship-standard) big clubs, as you say Bristol and Nottingham can't, in wider the provincial cities. We're not a Manchester or Liverpool with thousand literally flying in for home games. I don't think either us or United could really challenge, not in a competitive way.

I used think we where are par with Everton, Villa, Newcastle, outside the 'top' 6 clubs. We're not, and are dropping further behind. 

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Sheffield’s not big enough or passionate enough a football city to carry two clubs. It’s been blatantly obvious for years. If the city had one club like Leeds, Leicester or Newcastle it would’ve been far more successful.

Totally agree and it's something I've said for years.

We have not and never will match Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Yes, the 2nd city has a large catchment - much bigger than Sheffield City region. There's only 3 teams, and Villa mop up the wider areas in my experience, being the more successful and established team. Birmingham FC seem to punch well below their weight considering they're in the city. West Brom is a fair way out of town as well. 

We should be proud we can sustain two (generally championship-standard) big clubs, as you say Bristol and Nottingham can't, in wider the provincial cities. We're not a Manchester or Liverpool with thousand literally flying in for home games. I don't think either us or United could really challenge, not in a competitive way.

I used think we where are par with Everton, Villa, Newcastle, outside the 'top' 6 clubs. We're not, and are dropping further behind. 

Yep I think that sums it up pretty much. Problem is the further we slip behind and there's no guarantee we wont slip further it becomes more and more difficult to bridge that gap. Pains me to say it but United have a chance because they've had 2 years Premiership with the huge financial safety net that brings.

This is the best thread ever. Some really great posts, enjoyed reading them. I don't understand why people say we couldn't get big crowds based on crowds in the 90's. Football has changed and I have no doubt that if we were in the PL we would easily average over 35,000. Sadly a return to even the Championship looks unlikely, this squad have no heart or fight.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Absolutely. It’s a laughable generalisation that Sheffield folk are tighter than most. Absolute nonsense

I dunno.. my mates from Sheffield, mainly people I went to school with, hate spending money on tat or on things that would come in to the life experience category. In London, my mates throw money around like confetti. It’s a big difference in mentality