Sheffield’s Struggle

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

The city can't accommodate 2 successive clubs - there's not enough demand in both fan-base and serious owners with enough money. Both clubs seem to attract dubious individuals who's motivation is probably short-term returns, not long-term growth. TBH out of the two clubs, only McCabe showed any sensible strategy in investment off the field, but this was motivated by his property business returns. His poor attention to on-field investment lead them into L1 for 5 years, having sacked Warnock, which was an horrendous decision - look at Norwich to see how things should be done.

Whilst the club you support is pretty determined by your family (I appreciate there are exceptions) the support is pretty evenly spilt in the 10 mile radius catchment. We are not a Man U, Liverpool or London club who pulls in thousands outside the city limits.

We could be a fairly stable, successful club, perhaps yo-yoing in and out of the PL if we have the right infrastructure in place. We are miles away from that at the moment. 

Both clubs could get over 30k in the PL. Thats more than several clubs who have been there recently- Bournemouth, Stoke, Norwich, WBA. As for serious owners- we have one with a lot of money already, the problem is he’s a ******** imbecile. Decent football owners are at a premium, and sadly Sheffield has not been lucky on this front on either side of the divide. 

• Like 3

Just now, WalterWhite said:

The club has complete culture of losing. Staying up this season wouldn't change that.

Relegation will purge us of this and allow us to move forward again.

We will be back, but how long it will take is the worrying question...

I don’t buy this. Why can’t we stay in the Championship and buy a new team of players with better attitudes? Going down to the pub league offers us no glorious chance of rebirth, it will be an almighty slog like it was the last two occasions we were there and how the likes of Ipswich and Sunderland are finding it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WalterWhite said:

The club has complete culture of losing. Staying up this season wouldn't change that.

Relegation will purge us of this and allow us to move forward again.

We will be back, but how long it will take is the worrying question...

Have you been at the product your username suggests? Relegation won't purge us of anything whilever DC listens to his current advisors. We have seen time and time again mistakes being made and no lessons being learnt. Unless this changes the only way is down. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

If both teams were in the prem,both teams would average over 30k. 

Maybe - things have changed in the last 20 years I know.

The problem is the exponential growth of the tops teams' fan base - they can attract 10/20k more than this.

I believe both clubs' commercial revenue is fairly poor when compared to our peers. United have had a PL-boost but COVID will have impacted their revenue.

However, as we know, fans' money is a relatively low % of turnover, with the Sky-riches dwarfing all else. Clearly the priority and annual objective is staying in the ELP. We are failing dramatically on that score and United seem to be only able to hang on, and then slip in their brief stints there since 1990.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Sheffield’s not big enough or passionate enough a football city to carry two clubs. It’s been blatantly obvious for years. If the city had one club like Leeds, Leicester or Newcastle it would’ve been far more successful.

This comment gets spouted out from time to time but there will always be ups and downs with two clubs ...take 1991/2 for example both Sheffield clubs both Nottingham clubs both Manchester clubs and both Liverpool clubs and 7 london clubs that included QPR, Palace and Wimbledon in the top flight !

It has nothing to do with 2 clubs in one City. 

Edited by TaxiMark
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Both clubs could get over 30k in the PL. Thats more than several clubs who have been there recently- Bournemouth, Stoke, Norwich, WBA. As for serious owners- we have one with a lot of money already, the problem is he’s a ******** imbecile. Decent football owners are at a premium, and sadly Sheffield has not been lucky on this front on either side of the divide. 

Yes, these teams have been in the EPL far more times than us in the last 20 years, but they are still yo-yo teams and flirt with parachute payment risks each relegation. 

One thing these teams did in invest into is infrastructure. I'm not sure our leader has a lot of money, maybe 'access' to some money, but I doubt it's his. Unfortunately he is the figure head, and has a binary approach to achieving his goal, and with his 6th year in charge we are in a worst place on most measures than when he came, which takes some doing.

My worry is will we still be in these doldrums come his 10th year in charge. We could perhaps buy him a cake for his anniversary:

image.png.5858093276bf3e95a1783877f40c62d4.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

This comment gets spouted out from time to time but there will always be ups and downs with two clubs ...take 1991/2 for example both Sheffield clubs both Nottingham clubs both Manchester clubs and both Liverpool clubs and 7 london clubs that included QPR, Palace and Wimbledon in the top flight !

It has nothing to do with 2 clubs in one City. 

I understand your point, but Notts C and Wimbledon were never a threat to Notts Forest or Chelsea. I also think the historic nature of the city plays a big part - both good and bad. Even yesterday, at the end of the United game, the commentator said, 'in the city that gave the world football...' It's great that this is mentioned but it also seems a big millstone around our collective necks to be up there - challenging at the top of the EPL. Save for very brief spells for both clubs, neither club has done this in the last 60 years. 

Sheffield is a gold-fish bowl and there's a bitterness which I don't think you get in Liverpool, Manchester and certainly not London. United's last 3-yr success seemed to be driven by a hatred of SWFC. Obsession with the 'massacre', our wage structure, town hall celebrations, which seemed to more enthusiastic at getting one over on us. We're the same, to a lessor degree perhaps, but the same.

You don't see Pep singing, 'we hate United' on a top deck of a bus. Different culture, and whilst the rivalry could be used positively, I think this 2-club obsession holds us back in Sheffield.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

That’s testicles. Everyone knows Sheffielders love their football. Each club is capable of getting over 30,000 in the Prem. Norwich City have just been promoted to the PL for the sixth time. The difference is they have good owners and we have poo ones who let the fans down time and time again. 

Here comes another one. I’m right blah, blah, f**king blah. Sheffielders love their football? Both sets of supporters are as critical as any set of supporters in the country maybe the most critical in the country? Another reason why we probably don’t attract the right sort of owners? The image of Sheffield and the mindset of Sheffielders will never change, so what chance of a change in footballing fortunes?

Look I’m not arguing the to$$ but Sheffield the city is a reason why we both struggle and if some think Sheffield is full of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows everywhere then fair enough but as I keep saying I have my view, you have yours. It doesn’t make me right but it doesn’t make you right either?

1 minute ago, Animis said:

I understand your point, but Notts C and Wimbledon were never a threat to Notts Forest or Chelsea. I also think the historic nature of the city plays a big part - both good and bad. Even yesterday, at the end of the United game, the commentator said, 'in the city that gave the world football...' It's great that this is mentioned but it also seems a big millstone around our collective necks to be up there - challenging at the top of the EPL. Save for very brief spells for both clubs, neither club has done this in the last 60 years. 

Sheffield is a gold-fish bowl and there's a bitterness which I don't think you get in Liverpool, Manchester and certainly not London. United's last 3-yr success seemed to be driven by a hatred of SWFC. Obsession with the 'massacre', our wage structure, town hall celebrations, which seemed to more enthusiastic at getting one over on us. We're the same, to a lessor degree perhaps, but the same.

You don't see Pep singing, 'we hate United' on a top deck of a bus. Different culture, and whilst the rivalry could be used positively, I think this 2-club obsession holds us back in Sheffield.

So don't you think Sheffield is big enough or passionate enough to host two clubs then? ( Jim's words)

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

Here comes another one. I’m right blah, blah, f**king blah. Sheffielders love their football? Both sets of supporters are as critical as any set of supporters in the country maybe the most critical in the country? Another reason why we probably don’t attract the right sort of owners? The image of Sheffield and the mindset of Sheffielders will never change, so what chance of a change in footballing fortunes?

Look I’m not arguing the to$$ but Sheffield the city is a reason why we both struggle and if some think Sheffield is full of Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows everywhere then fair enough but as I keep saying I have my view, you have yours. It doesn’t make me right but it doesn’t make you right either?

Explain ( in your view) what you think is holding both Sheffield clubs back and why you think it's not big enough or passionate enough for two clubs to compete? 

22 minutes ago, Animis said:

Wimbledon finished higher than Chelsea that season

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

How do you know we are the most critical? You get Man Utd fans calling up 606 every week moaning. I’d say the fact both clubs get over 20,000 a week despite being largely mediocre for 20 years suggests we are very loyal fanbases- I’d have thought that would be an asset to an investor? 

I honestly have no idea how you equate the city to the clubs being poo . There are more backwards shitholes than Sheffield with teams in the PL. Mandaric sold Leicester to decent owners= success. Mandaric sells SWFC to a moron=failure. It’s as simple as that. 

You sound very aggressive for a Sunday morning though. Go and chill out. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

Explain ( in your view) what you think is holding both Sheffield clubs back and why you think it's not big enough or passionate enough for two clubs to compete? 

For a start finance. Sheffielders don’t like having to put their hand in their pocket. Yes, the ticket prices are too high here but even when they were lower there was still complaints.

Both clubs will always have at least one player that attracts criticism and hostility and let’s face it even though when things are good we’re good fan bases to play for, when things aren’t which they invariably are, we are the worst.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to get things right here but a lot of things have to fall into place which is very difficult. As a Wednesday fan getting the owners/board and fan base pulling together is extremely difficult and you need that at the very least to stand a chance of being successful.

But that’s my view and I understand some people will not share it but each to their own.

43 minutes ago, Animis said:

Nail on head.

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

We were in Europe in 90s though 

We played Spora Luxembourg and Kaiserslautern one season nearly 30 years ago. Doesn't compare with those clubs achievements in Europe. However I do think this city is big enough for both of us to compete in the PL when you consider the likes of Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth etc who have spent a fair bit in the top flight. 

46 minutes ago, Animis said:

Think you’re over analysing things. Most players and I would say most supporters probs never consider the “home of football” thing. I’m still confused by why the city rivalry holds up back. I very much doubt any of the decisions the prince or DC have made in the last few years have been made with the other club in mind. The answer to why Sheffield clubs are poo is pretty simple really. 

• Like 2