• Pelupessy
    • Paterson
    • Windass
    • Bannan
    • Green
    • Rhodes
    • Katchunga

6 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

When no one stands out then I always go for Bannan.

The only one that looks like he cares.

The one trying to make things happen

The one putting in the hard work with tackles and tracking back.

I thought, I can't give it to the guy who has missed a penalty in a game we have failed to win. Then I thought about the game, tried to think of someone who did more, tried to do more or made more of a positive impact and couldn't. 

I know football is all about opinions but 5 people so far have voted for Paterson as the best player in a Wednesday shirt today - seriously? I'd love to know what positive contributions he made. 

Should be a supporters option for MOM , for having the , I don’t know - bravery , commitment , free lobotomy to put up with this calamity week after week after week.   Another Sunday morning ruined for finding out how Wednesday got on last night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malek said:

At home in a must win game where draw equals defeat. We are 1:0 up and player up, and what we do...

We set to play 70 minutes with 3 central defenders to mark their lone and isolated striker and with out & out defensive midfielder infront of them.

It was stupid, cowardly and negative approach that ultimately cost us. Instead of trying to score more goals and finish Bristol City off, we banked that we won't make a mistake, bad decision or that one of their players won't have moment of brilliance (like happened so many times this season) and cost us points.

We brought this on us and we deserved it, today I blame management team even more than I blame players on the pitch. In any case, load of cowards and bottlers all of them.

Said at half-time that there was no longer a need for Hutchinson and having already been booked he should have made way. Instead we stuck with the same team and had plenty of possession but were not much more likely to open them up then we were at 11 v 11 as they kept a defensive shape and we had too many defensive minded players that as you say, we didn't need. 

We played OK for an hour or so but should have had more players getting forward and more options in and around the box to pick up attacking 2nd balls. 

Doesn't our management have a positive attitude which thinks when playing against 10 men we run their legs off by pressing high up the field and retaining possession? 

Why do they insist on not going all out attack when we HAVE to win. The team have proved time after time that they cannot defend a lead so should go for the jugular and attack attack attack. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

No. We have to maximise the suffering.

Pain is the only remaining sensation that lets us know we're still alive!

This reminded me of a quote in The Vietnam War documentary (2017) by Ken Burns, it was from a guy who fought in WWI I think or II maybe. I can't really remember it and I've tried searching for it, but it was something about human life suffering/pain etc. I was thinking about rewatching it, but now I'm going have to haha. If the quote is as good as I remember I'll post it in here.

14 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Pearson said Lansbury didnt touch the ball. It looked a clear and deliberate handball to me or did I miss something?

I thought at the time it was a penalty, but I painfully watched the highlights last night and I don't think the defender touched it.

It makes yesterday's result even more sickening, if ever a game was handed to us on a silver platter this was the one.

39 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I thought at the time it was a penalty, but I painfully watched the highlights last night and I don't think the defender touched it.

It makes yesterday's result even more sickening, if ever a game was handed to us on a silver platter this was the one.

When I saw it on soccer Saturday, definitely hits the bar and not the hand. A wonderful gift that we didn’t take. Again. 

10 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Doesn't our management have a positive attitude which thinks when playing against 10 men we run their legs off by pressing high up the field and retaining possession? 

Why do they insist on not going all out attack when we HAVE to win. The team have proved time after time that they cannot defend a lead so should go for the jugular and attack attack attack. 

We were well on top in the early stages. Their player got sent off for handling on the line to stop the second goal going in. With them down to 10 you just need to keep doing what you are already doing and gaps will appear. Other than that you can run them ragged until they are too exhausted to compete.

When I used to play we were taught strategies to beat 10 men and strategies to cope if we were down to 10 men. Wednesday seem equally clueless in either situation. I don't blame Moore for that, he's not had time to go through that sort of thing yet but you would expect 30 year old professional players to have been taught these techniques at some time in their career. We seem clueless at taking throw ins as well. We have one player showing for the ball other teams have 3. All this stuff is so basic. It's only this last season we seem to have a strategy for corners, before that we just lumped it into the mix and usually hit the first man. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Well people's let's draw a little perverse comfort in the fact the Premier League Champions elect.

The league cup finalists and Champions League semi finalists have just flushed one quarter of a quadruple down the toilet with one of the worst team selections and tactical suicides in a major cup semi final 

For one night and one night only we kind of share the same stage .....

How do you think I felt?

:duntmatter:

18 hours ago, malek said:

At home in a must win game where draw equals defeat. We are 1:0 up and player up, and what we do...

We set to play 70 minutes with 3 central defenders to mark their lone and isolated striker and with out & out defensive midfielder infront of them.

It was stupid, cowardly and negative approach that ultimately cost us. Instead of trying to score more goals and finish Bristol City off, we banked that we won't make a mistake, bad decision or that one of their players won't have moment of brilliance (like happened so many times this season) and cost us points.

We brought this on us and we deserved it, today I blame management team even more than I blame players on the pitch. In any case, load of cowards and bottlers all of them.

Agree. And what about leaving Rhodes out of such a must win match? Loss of nerve totally. Paterson is not a striker in spite of getting 7 goals. He puts himself about and you could argue that if two men Palmer and Reach are supposed to get crosses in for JR, you do not need to pick Harris and Windass, Rhodes and Paterson could all have played. I have believed ever since Bruce left that the management is more of a problem than the players.

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Said at half-time that there was no longer a need for Hutchinson and having already been booked he should have made way. Instead we stuck with the same team and had plenty of possession but were not much more likely to open them up then we were at 11 v 11 as they kept a defensive shape and we had too many defensive minded players that as you say, we didn't need. 

We played OK for an hour or so but should have had more players getting forward and more options in and around the box to pick up attacking 2nd balls. 

The management did not have the bravery to get Rhodes on the field at half time.