Forestieri. Best since Di Canio.

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

FF scored all his goals for a team finishing 6th and then 4th.

Yes he was here last season but unlike Fletcher, FF was getting played at full back.

So what?

All that says is that he was particularly ineffective when the overall quality of the team around him deteriorated.

You described Fletcher as someone who spent most of his time injured and yet in one less season than Forestieri he played in one more league game than him.

Anyway, off to concentrate on the game now and hope that the early Borner goal is a similar sign to the Cardiff game! 

Think we have had a fair few players after Di Canio that were better than, or at least as good as FF to be honest. Especially if you consider any position. Admittedly hard to compare players in different positions. But still...

Antonio

Brunt 

Lee

Bannan

Whelan

Carbone

Bougherra

Hooper

Walker

Probably a few more too and this doesn't include loans. But yes FF was great in his first year. 

Guest LondonOwl313
53 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Think we have had a fair few players after Di Canio that were better than, or at least as good as FF to be honest. Especially if you consider any position. Admittedly hard to compare players in different positions. But still...

Antonio

Brunt 

Lee

Bannan

Whelan

Carbone

Bougherra

Hooper

Walker

Probably a few more too and this doesn't include loans. But yes FF was great in his first year. 

If we’re talking about fitness, reliability and mentality he’s nowhere near and not even in the conversation. Some of those players listed score relatively high in those categories which gives them a clear advantage.

But if we’re talking about quality on the ball, that bit of X factor and being able to do things that other players can’t then he’s better than all of those. Brunt, Whelan and Antonio have all had better careers than him but in terms of their time here FF was better in 2015-18. I’ve included 2017-18 because he scored 5 in 10 and still looked exactly the same player when he came back after injury under Jos at the end of that season. His drop off in form came after the racism incident just before 2018-19... not sure what happened really but he wasn’t the same player. Probably didn’t help that Monk was the manager as he loved to kick players out and exclude them rather than putting an arm around them.

18 hours ago, Noleafclover said:

I was a fan of his but I think he lost interest once he realised we weren't going up. Was right to let him go but wrong timing, he should have been sold. 

Talent wise he wasn't anywhere near Di Canio or Carbone but probably the most talented since them.

He should have gone after the Norwich debacle - never the same again and injuries started to become a consistent feature, as with so many others.

Only one game after that really stuck in the memory ironically was a faint Norwich, scoring a worldly.

A good player but clearly lost interest in us long before he finally went.

Carbone and Di Canio a cut above, however it took BFR to get the best out of them.

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2021 at 13:54, LondonOwl313 said:

If we’re talking about fitness, reliability and mentality he’s nowhere near and not even in the conversation. Some of those players listed score relatively high in those categories which gives them a clear advantage.

But if we’re talking about quality on the ball, that bit of X factor and being able to do things that other players can’t then he’s better than all of those. Brunt, Whelan and Antonio have all had better careers than him but in terms of their time here FF was better in 2015-18. I’ve included 2017-18 because he scored 5 in 10 and still looked exactly the same player when he came back after injury under Jos at the end of that season. His drop off in form came after the racism incident just before 2018-19... not sure what happened really but he wasn’t the same player. Probably didn’t help that Monk was the manager as he loved to kick players out and exclude them rather than putting an arm around them.

I don't personally agree that FF had more of an x factor than Carbone. I get that people love players with flair so I get why he ranks high in peoples estimates. But talent wise he's behind all of those mentioned in my opinion. Hence why he has always been a second tier player. Very good player but far from irreplaceable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FF was one of them players that made you stand up off ya seat when he got the ball.Prob most skillful player we have had since Di Canio,better then Carbone maybe not but,still a great player to watch them 1st 2 seasons only Hooper was anywhere close...

Wish we had em both now...

UTO

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Theres a golden rule in pro football which any manager or coach will tell you and which for 4 years we have consistently and spectacularly got wrong. Never bring in players unless they are better than those you have.

Absolute testicles

Guest Grandad
On 16/04/2021 at 20:19, Buck Rogers said:

Aren't you glad we no longer have this bad apple at Hillsborough? 😉

Definitely best since Di Canio

One of the very few players we've had who could get you out of your seat when he got the ball. Worth the entrance fee alone

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Absolute testicles

Fetch players in who are roughly equal to what you have you dont improve. Fetch players in who are worse than those you have you go backwards. Surprised you dont see the logic in that. We've gone backwards over the last 4 years if youd ont believe me just have a look at the current league table.

On 17/04/2021 at 12:55, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

Antonio

Brunt 

Lee

Bannan

Whelan

Carbone

Bougherra

Hooper

Walker

I would add Sibon to that list

1 hour ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Fetch players in who are roughly equal to what you have you dont improve. Fetch players in who are worse than those you have you go backwards. Surprised you dont see the logic in that. We've gone backwards over the last 4 years if youd ont believe me just have a look at the current league table.

17-18 Liverpool sold Coutinho and brought in van dijk, salah, chamberlin and robertson. None of those players were rated better than Coutinho at the time but I doubt any Liverpool fan since then has complained about losing him.

Same year Leeds sold Chris Wood and brought in Janssen, saiz, klich, alioski. None of these players were rated better than Chris Wood at the time but I doubt any Leeds fan since then has complained about losing him.

18-19 Pigs sold Brooks and brought in Norwood and Egan (and a number of other free transfers) None of these players were rated better than Brooks at the time but I doubt any pig was complaining when they were promoted.

Brentford have sold multiple established players over a number of years and replaced them with unknowns yet have managed to remain competitive.

Man Utd sold Ronaldo yet have still managed to win the league a number of times since.

My logic is that the team will always be more important than any individual player.

Your logic appears to be worship players who have played well 18months out of their 10 year career and spent large portions of that career either as a substitute, injured, refusing to play or being suspended for racism. I prefer my logic to be honest.

I'm well aware of where we are in the league table I dont need to look. Besides I probably wouldnt be able to see it anyway if I apparently need to get to specsavers.

Of course the team is more important than the player I get that but when managers bring in players they do so with the intention of improving the squad because they all want to progress professional pride dictates that.  Trouble is it doesn't always work out as we all know - some prove to be duds but at the time of signing the manager will be convinced he's improving his squad. Otherwise what's the point.  Believe me mate Ive worked in football shared flats and digs  with pro footballers  so one thing I definitely dont do is worship them. You try following them into  the toilet. The point Im making is that the quality of signings over the past few years  has brought in players who have been obviously worse than those already there - hence the situation we now find ourselves in.  PS I only really worship Mick Jagger -the greatest living Englishman.