What's the worst away end view you've been to?

36 minutes ago, Dooogs said:

I still regret the fact that I could see the action in the 2006-07 game there. Also, Essex is way bigger than I'd realised - Colchester is nearer to Ipswich than London (so it took us hours to get back to ThatLondon after that game)...

Thankfully I went the following season when we won there.

For me, it was Blackpool before their new stand was built. Couldn’t get a ticket and watched from across the road in front of a new Premier Inn that was yet to open.

Builders took pity and loaned a pair of step ladders which were shared between a a hundred or so fans. Vantage point also from the top of a large billboard.

Could only see the crossbar at our end, and could just see Richard Woods’ goal scored at the other.

8 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It gets a lot of plaudits for being a great experience/atmosphere but Celtic Park is awful and up there with the worst for me to go to as an away fan.

The area surrounding the ground is horrible, there’s nowhere to drink nearby where you won’t get lynched, you get coins chucked at you, you’ll get spat at, the police are always way too heavy handed, and if you’re even lucky enough to get a seat (sometimes I’ve been and folk have been forced to stand because the seats are broken and there’s more fans than seats) you get views like this. 

£37 odd to watch your team get pumped in a dump like that. It’s no wonder most teams don’t bring a good following there. 

Tied for me with Aberdeen for the worst away end in Scottish football. Celtic Park is an absolute shitehole in an absolute shitehole.

B39844DF-6B2D-4B08-A7A4-521EBD46C2AB.jpeg

Edinburgh Owl, is Ibrox any better for a neutral visiting Glasgae?

I've done about 80 English grounds with Wednesday plus both Dundee clubs, Berwick and Tynecastle ( brilliant) but always  wondered about the Ugly sisters. 

Not a fan of either but just wondered.

11 hours ago, bdmfournil said:

Luton what a complete dump inside and out, horrible place

I was going to say that. Down the side by the corner flag was terrible. When they had the plastic pitch the ball was like a marble on a table top. It never came to a standstill it just kept rolling no matter how slowly it was going !

Went down the side at Leicester once instead of the shared section behind the goal. Below pitch level and we got beaten. You got out behind the goal and it looked like the police had lined up the Leicester fans to be ready when you came out. It was almost like we came out and the police blew the whistle to start them throwing bottles and bricks at us. lol Seemed really well rehearsed

Baseball ground is a good shout

awful viewing

Filbert Street was odd

if you were sat in the stand on the away end behind the goal it was a great view

If you were standing below the seats it was not only a bad view it was in my view the most dangerous ground I’ve been too

3 minutes ago, FARGATEOWL said:

Edinburgh Owl, is Ibrox any better for a neutral visiting Glasgae?

I've done about 80 English grounds with Wednesday plus both Dundee clubs, Berwick and Tynecastle ( brilliant) but always  wondered about the Ugly sisters. 

Not a fan of either but just wondered.

I think it’s a much better stadium FargateOwl. It’s a wee bit smaller capacity wise, and I’ve only ever been in the away end at Ibrox as I’m sure you can appreciate, but it’s way better for visiting supporters than Celtic Park.

The views are decent even for being stuck in the corner or behind the goal, and it’s much more accessible too. With Ibrox (and Partick Thistle) it’s easier to have a decent drink before and after the game. I wouldn’t drink around the ground area again near Ibrox personally, but you can get to and from the city centre quickly. It’s relatively easy to get to both Partick’s and Rangers grounds from the city centre. It’s much harder to do that at Celtic Park which is another negative. You can get the underground to Ibrox from the city centre which is connected to the train stations centrally, and there’s no restrictive views like the above at Celtic Park.

You should give Partick a go as well if you’re making the trip to Glasgow. Firhill the stadium is crap but Thistle are a great wee club and their fans are sound. If you’ve got time you can walk from Queen Street to the ground in just under half an hour.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I think it’s a much better stadium FargateOwl. It’s a wee bit smaller capacity wise, and I’ve only ever been in the away end at Ibrox as I’m sure you can appreciate, but it’s way better for visiting supporters than Celtic Park.

The views are decent even for being stuck in the corner or behind the goal, and it’s much more accessible too. With Ibrox (and Partick Thistle) it’s easier to have a decent drink before and after the game. I wouldn’t drink around the ground area again near Ibrox personally, but you can get to and from the city centre quickly. It’s relatively easy to get to both Partick’s and Rangers grounds from the city centre. It’s much harder to do that at Celtic Park which is another negative. You can get the underground to Ibrox from the city centre which is connected to the train stations centrally, and there’s no restrictive views like the above at Celtic Park.

You should give Partick a go as well if you’re making the trip to Glasgow. Firhill the stadium is crap but Thistle are a great wee club and their fans are sound. If you’ve got time you can walk from Queen Street to the ground in just under half an hour.

Thanks for that

Thats a great insight 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, panda800 said:

The dell was awful... as was  Oxford  Chester was ok before they put the barriers up ..

Talking of Chester who remembers  us setting  fire to the home end behind  the goal 79-80 season

Remember Chester. It got pretty serious esoecially when a couple of fire engines turned up outside. The view from that home end wasnt too bad if I remember correctly.

Agree with what others have said about Luton. What is now the home end was an open away end with shallow terracing and massive fences blocking the view. Also Millwall in the corner shared by a massive pylon and a third of the pitch obliterated by a supermarket at Bolton.

5 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

The match we played under Gary Megson at the Brighton athletics stadium.

It felt like being half a mile away at the end given to our supporters.

Been to a few games in Asia where the running tracks around the pitch are annoyingly common.

Worst two were Shanghai SIPG, which not only have the full ten-lane running track, but then outside this extra track area, about three times the width of the running track outside of that (for long jump and the like) before you finally get to the stands. People were selling binoculars outside and we all wondered why until we got inside the stadium.

Similarly annoying was Busan I-Park, again a running track with fans miles away from the pitch, but cheekily the home side had built a temporary stand on one side of the running track overlooking the pitch, leaving the away fans in the main part of the stadium on their own chanting at no-one other than the side of the temporary stand.

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What's been the ground you've been to that had the worst view of the pitch?

Surely Loftus Road has to be one of them?

And the old Wembley too if you were behind the goal?

Bolton's old ground Burnden Park where we couldn't see the pitch, as we were stood behind the old fashioned floodlights...

Walsall if near corner flags, I would have seen more of the game watching a radio.

Dell was bad, couldn't see plus opposite stand is that low I had the sun in my eyes all game

Qpr as people have said, on upper tier could only see far goal

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Remember when we played Grimsby on Bank Holiday Monday. Chaos. Which fruit loop signed that one off?

Grimsby was my worst view at an away game

Couldn’t see a bleedin thing from inside that police station cell 🙂