Matt Penney

Fair play to him if he gets a move to QPR.

Personally I’m unsure if he’s a Championship standard player.

I think he’s got a little bit of Adam Reach about him in a sense where no one really knows his best role. 

On paper he’s a 23 year old lad with a fair bit of CH football and Bundesliga 2 experience who isn’t on big money and will be available on a free. It’s a very low risk, high reward signing for QPR. 

But certainly wish him well if he gets a decent move to QPR. 

• Like 2

Suffers massively with the fact hes not actually got one position he can actually say hes good and solid at playing.

Looks decent at left back for a bit, then performances dropped off. Looks decent at left wing back for a bit, then performances dropped off. Same story when hes played left wing/left midfield too. Think the term is consitently inconsitent. 

No doubt he has talent and abilty, but that alone isnt always enough. As others have said, he lacks application and effort at times, and im sure hes been called out by managment in the past for his poor defensivce work. A move might be good for him, because hes not ever going to get any better here. If he can find a position, nail it down and work hard at improving the dirty/hard graft side of his game, he might do okay. Not sure hes going to be a championship regular for anybody though.

Regardless of all that though, if hes off, i wish nowt but good luck to the lad. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Suffers massively with the fact hes not actually got one position he can actually say hes good and solid at playing.

Looks decent at left back for a bit, then performances dropped off. Looks decent at left wing back for a bit, then performances dropped off. Same story when hes played left wing/left midfield too. Think the term is consitently inconsitent. 

No doubt he has talent and abilty, but that alone isnt always enough. As others have said, he lacks application and effort at times, and im sure hes been called out by managment in the past for his poor defensivce work. A move might be good for him, because hes not ever going to get any better here. If he can find a position, nail it down and work hard at improving the dirty/hard graft side of his game, he might do okay. Not sure hes going to be a championship regular for anybody though.

Regardless of all that though, if hes off, i wish nowt but good luck to the lad. 

Agree with this. I think he'd be a decent left side midfielder in L1, 30 plus games in left midifield in a L1 season would improve him as a player and would probably result in solid output game by game.

That said, there are few SWFC players I'd be upset at leaving. There should be plenty of good alternatives that can play well at L1. I shouldn't assume good recruitment though, should I.....  

56 minutes ago, G-Reg said:

Agree with this. I think he'd be a decent left side midfielder in L1, 30 plus games in left midifield in a L1 season would improve him as a player and would probably result in solid output game by game.

That said, there are few SWFC players I'd be upset at leaving. There should be plenty of good alternatives that can play well at L1. I shouldn't assume good recruitment though, should I.....  

The issue is that if he stays, will he get the playing time to develop his game and can we afford to give him that time?

The aim has to be to bounce right back up from League 1 and that will likley mean signing an already established and capable left midfielder/winger. We have to come out flying at the start of next season and that might mean we cant afford to carry someone whos trying to find thier role and possibly playing average while doing so.

guess it a wait and see kind of situation for us and him right now. 

9 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Actually reminds me of Reach in a way, lacking in attitude and confidence and can't seem to nail down a position that really suits him. 

But didn't cost is £5m and £20k a week for the last 4 season.😁😁😁

Cant remember who it was against but we conceded a goal from a breakaway, the ball came across to the far post and their right winger slotted it home. From the replay you could see Penney jogging back behind him without a care in the world or even the slightest bit of effort to get back goalside. That side of his game is probably why numerous managers havn't given him a run in the team.

• Like 6

I think that Penney would do really well in a team with a solid defensive spine that played attacking foot all down the wings. That’s not us mind. Maybe if we had 2/3 combative centre mids then our wingbacks/fullbacks could bomb on without worry of being caught out. We don’t, they can’t. Also a centre forward to cross to doesn’t go amiss when you’ve got a wand of a left foot. Maybe take a set piece or two would help too. 

I mean even the best fullbacks in the world look ordinary if they are not played to their strengths, look at Trent Alexander Arnold at Liverpool. If he couldn’t take corners or set pieces and when they’ve been exposed with no CB or CM due to injury he looks bog average. When they are in control and defensively sound without relying on him he’s world class. Penney is no TAA btw. Just pointing out that if you have an attacking fullback but you don’t attack it’s fairly useless.

Can believe some people still think he is good enough for Wednesday. He's not a kid anymore and his development has hit a brick wall. His achievements to date

• The goal he scored while he was on loan in the Hamburg derby.
  • put a decent cross in once about 6 months ago.

Good luck to the lad and i hope he has a good career, just isn't going to be here.