Why the hate for ELEV8?

Personally, I think the ELEV8 kits are good quality (much better materials and feel than other recent manufacturers like Sondico and Puma) and have been good designs. Other items like jackets and hoodies are comfortable also. Yes, the prices are expensive, but they are competitive with most EFL clubs and nearly exclusively every Championship club. Is the hate just because it is something linked to Chansiri, because Blades have an Adidas contract or is there another reason?

• Like 3

‘Why the hate for elev8’ nice to have a rhyming thread title. 
Anyway, I don’t have any problem with the shirts. They are pretty good IMO. 
I don’t tend to wear branded items anyway as I’m old but I asked my teenage sons and they wouldn’t wear anything without a ‘good’ badge on it. 
However, if you stuck a ‘Northface’ badge on a plastic bag they would wear it. 

Branding is important to the target market I’m afraid. I couldn’t give a throw but wouldn’t be seen dead in a puffer jacket/ large sports coat so they aren’t going to sell anything to me other than a shirt anyway. 

I naively thought the idea behind producing our kits 'in house' rather than using an established manufacturer was so that we'd have cheaper kits and they'd be available to a timescale of our choosing.

Unfortunately, we pay a a tenner more than most of the other Championship teams' supporters do for their shirts, and have often had to wait longer than most for them to be available to buy.

The saving grace is that they're decent quality.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, bobness said:

ELEV8 is very much part of the problem, so it ought to leave a sour taste in any fan's mouth.

While the kit itself might be OK (quality wise), as a business It's a misguided and harebrained idea, setup with the purpose of aiding the club financially. Meanwhile, the club still faced several embargos, and ultimately a points deduction. We also haven't been able to buy quality players, despite some of the most expensive tickets in the league. Topped off with relegation to League 1.

Here's a thought: perhaps DC should've spent the time, money, and focus on running a football club, not a clothing and energy drinks company/scheme. 

Do you think it was a hairbrained idea or just badly executed?

I assumed DC didn’t personally oversee the project but you never know. I remember at the time thinking it seemed a bit of a daft idea but there was quite a bit of support for the principal of it. There are always loads of complaints that the club doesn’t focus enough in commercial activities. Maybe just as well!

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Be recognised with a worldwide famous quality brand like Adidas or Nike.

Or the energy drink turned gym wear brain fart of Dejphon Chansiri.

Why is no one else doing it?

The idea in principle is very good

Credit where credit is due

4 minutes ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Elev8 is a new sports clothing brand purely created to produce our shirts at established brand prices. It has little or no brand recognition beyond Sheffield. It has no right to charge what it does.

We are definitely NOT competitive with most EFL clubs using established kit manufacturers. We have the most expensive EFL shirt and we're in the European places when comparing against the Prem teams as well. Madness.

In terms of the actual brand, once again ridiculously priced compared to competitors. £120 for an insulated Elev8 jacket - yes, one hundred and twenty pounds! You could go and buy two top of the range Adidas jackets for the same price. I can't compare quality as I don't own an Elev8 jacket (who does?) but I very much doubt it tops Adidas for quality.

Chansiri is so out of touch with the target market when it comes to pricing that it's actually insulting. He's demonstrated this on numerous occasion but more so with the Elev8 brand by exploiting blind customer loyalty to make as much profit as possible.

Meanwhile, while the average Joe is expected to pay through the nose for tickets and merchandise in exchange for the promise of watching a competitive football team, we are about to be relegated to League 1. That's the reason I 'hate' the Elev8 brand.

Exactly this. Charging what he does for a brand with very little recognition outside of Sheffield Wednesday is insulting.

Plus it’s a crap name.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Do you think it was a hairbrained idea or just badly executed?

I assumed DC didn’t personally oversee the project but you never know. I remember at the time thinking it seemed a bit of a daft idea but there was quite a bit of support for the principal of it. There are always loads of complaints that the club doesn’t focus enough in commercial activities. Maybe just as well!

If it was such a clever idea, more clubs would do it. At the end of the day, the results speak for themselves: fans were asked to pay £10 more than they were previously, and the club is in deep poo anyway. In the nicest possible terms I'd label ELEV8 an "unnecessary distraction".

With regards to DC's involvement, we don't really know, but based on how he runs this club, I'd imagine he is similarly entrenched in his other ventures.

Edited by bobness
  • Like 1