The 'Best Player Ever'

Had it in my mind a couple of years ago that if/when Messi won the World Cup then he would go down as the best ever. 

Obviously that has not materialised yet, whereas C. Ronaldo has won the Euros. Ronaldo has also won titles in 3 different countries, and Champions Leagues in 2.

Many say Pele was the best ever, but there isn't great and detailed footage of him compared to Maradona. Won the WC, the UEFA Cup and titles with Napoli, not exactly an Italian super power. However, he never won La Liga (Messi and Ronaldo have multiple times), and Messi and Ronaldo have won multiple Champions Leagues, which have more teams in now than back then, and is probably the world premier competition compared the the WC back in Maradona's era. 

But these are all forwards - Zidane won near enough everything, so did Buffon, Cannavaro, Puyol, Pique, Cafu etc. Yet never get called into the conversation. 

Who do you think is the 'best player ever'?

Only thing I'm sure of on this is that it isn't Pele. I'm convinced he's a complete fraud. Seems to randomly add more goals to his tally every time he gets asked. Has he started adding the ones he scored at headers & volleys in school?

Personally for me the two players who I think personify their positions down to an art form are Maldini and OG Ronaldo. Ronaldo in particular was just a beast. Raw pace, incredible strength, amazing skills and footwork and a predatory finisher.. he was the complete package for a forward and it's a shame he had the injuries he had. There are highlights of Ronaldo where it's difficult to work out what's even happened in real time because he's blasted his way through 3 players and got a 10 yard beat on them before you can blink. Maldini obviously was just class personified.

Haaland has the makings of an OG Ronaldo for me. That slightly scary mix of physical ability and sheer scoring know how. 

Of the current two I prefer C Ronaldo. Think he has a more robust collection of silverware, and if I could pick one to build a team around then Ronaldo's proven ability to mix up and adapt his game or offer other threats beats out Messi for me.

• Like 2

Like Dave I’m a huge fan of Maldini and also Baresi before him too. Both unbelievable defenders and Maldini was consistently class for decades. Defenders never get enough love in conversations like these.

Both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are great players, easily the best two in the modern era, but Ronaldo has won titles in 3 different countries, won champions leagues, scored the most goals ever in the Champions League, and he has won the Nations League and the Euros with a small nation and in a far more difficult qualifying section than Messi’s Argentina. He has scored significantly more goals for his country too.

The fact that Messi has won nothing with Argentina, not even a Copa America when they are easily the second biggest nation in their geographical area is the biggest deciding factor between the two IMO. Portugal are no mugs but it is a tiny country and they play much more difficult opponents and more frequently than Argentina in international football.

Ronaldo has done the lot. He’s a more complete player for me too, he’s an athlete and incredible in the air as well as on the ground. Both magnificent players but Ronaldo for me is the best. He’s a born winner.

• Like 3

The game evolves so Pele might be rubbish now or Messi might have been rubbish in the 60s (comparatively)

they question should be “who is the best player you’ve seen in your lifetime” as I doubt many people on here have seen Pele play many times and certainly if they have they will be cherry picked games where Pele has excelled 

• Like 1

Messi and Ronaldo are two incredible players, but out of the two Messi shades it for me, just for sheer ability. The way he can walk through 4 or 5 players with what looks like such minimal effort.

Both players have really looked after their bodies and fitness, Roanldo especially and it shows.

But my favourite ever player is R9 Ronaldo. He was the ultimate striker.

Pace, power, dribbling, shooting.

Unlike the two above, he did not look after his body quite as well and injuries took their toll. But he still managed to make a comeback and win the World Cup and I think the golden boot to go with it?

I wasn't fortunate to see the likes of Maradonna, only highlight reels so I cannot include these players in my list of all time favourites. 

At the end of the day, they all go up there amongst the best ever. We will never have an overall out and out winner

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

How can you decipher this when most people think of strikers straight away.

Gordon Banks.

Bobby Moore.

Jairzinho.

Messi/Ronaldo

Think that's the point I'm getting at, people always look to the forwards, which is understandable but also makes the conversation lopsided. 

Like many have said, Maldini was unreal for his position, and pretty sure he could have given any forward at any time a difficult game. Also, Schmeichel seemed to win games, or at least turn the momentum tide single handedly for Man Utd on occasions, and won the Euros. 

Iniesta is one of the most complete and influential players I have ever seen, and scored a WC winning goal, whilst winning everything else. Has to be up there for me. 

11 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Think that's the point I'm getting at, people always look to the forwards, which is understandable but also makes the conversation lopsided. 

Like many have said, Maldini was unreal for his position, and pretty sure he could have given any forward at any time a difficult game. Also, Schmeichel seemed to win games, or at least turn the momentum tide single handedly for Man Utd on occasions, and won the Euros. 

Iniesta is one of the most complete and influential players I have ever seen, and scored a WC winning goal, whilst winning everything else. Has to be up there for me. 

Yes, I should have named him too.

Pele was a colossus.  In an era before mass TV even never mind internet, he was the most famous sportsman on the planet (Ali, a close second but not everywhere followed boxing). He won the world cup at 17, and 12 years later won it again in the greatest match I've ever seen.   With modern coaching, nutrition, fitness levels and crucially, protection by referees he would have been worth a fortune and would have won everything that Ronaldo has and more. He played with a smile on his face and I'm grateful I saw him in 1973, although he hardly touched the ball!

Maradonas cheating and drug abuse rule him out for me.

• Like 2

C Ronaldo for me. An almost machine like ability to score goals as well as create them for teammates. He's as good now as he ever was, even on the wrong side of 35. 

Sure, he's maybe a little arrogant but with that talent on the pitch maybe he can be?

And when he cried when he had to go off injured in the Euro 2016 finally I think this proved just how much the game means to him.

Wish our lot had just 1% of his ability.

There is a difference between the best and the greatest.

The best for me is who is the best player to play the game, the greatest is who has achieved the most in the game.

The best Messi.

The greatest, Pele, 3 world cup wins.

Maradona.

Apart from being a brilliant player he was just amazing to watch.

I've never been amazed watching Ronaldo. Very good obviously, but not amazing. Plus, he's never played in a poor team. Maradona just about single handedly dragged an average Napoli side to Serie A and European titles and did the same with Argentina winning the World Cup.

• Like 2