Pulis vs Moore

I don't think the two can be compared.

Pulis was brought in to cheat the drop, but we didn't have the necessary players for him to do the job.

He said that when it comes to leadership and "spice", we needed help.

He was right...

When we failed to do more business in January then our fate was sealed.

I don't think Moore was brought in to keep us up, but rather to get us back up if the worst came to the worst.

I think Chansiri saw what was happening at Donny, and had already noted what had occurred at Oakwell and the Lane and wanted some of it.

This lot haven't got a bounce in them.

It's difficult for any new manager to get a bounce when some players don't care because they'll be away at the end of the season.

Utter bobbarity.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I don't think the two can be compared.

Pulis was brought in to cheat the drop, but we didn't have the necessary players for him to do the job.

He said that when it comes to leadership and "spice", we needed help.

He was right...

When we failed to do more business in January then our fate was sealed.

I don't think Moore was brought in to keep us up, but rather to get us back up if the worst came to the worst.

I think Chansiri saw what was happening at Donny, and had already noted what had occurred at Oakwell and the Lane and wanted some of it.

This lot haven't got a bounce in them.

It's difficult for any new manager to get a bounce when some players don't care because they'll be away at the end of the season.

Utter bobbarity.

Exactly.

Can only get a bounce if they squad is motivated.

Can only motivate them if they want to be motivated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, victorturner said:

Looking at the size of the problems at this complicated club, the naive idealism of the new current management team ( and their lack of experience) do not inspire confidence. Saturday was another round of picking the  wrong team ( Harris in, Rhodes out..really?) and of poor game management, and the Swansea match another  round of making poor substitutions. New manager bounce = 8 points out of 30.

Some substitutes have often seemed odd. But when we are playing this many games in a month there may be self explanatory reasons.

If we stick a penalty away that game is over.

On 14/04/2021 at 11:00, SallyCinnamon said:

Tony Pulis 10 games in charge

7 points out of a possible 30. 1 win in 10. 4 draws. 5 defeats.

Darren Moore 9 games in charge so far

7 points out of a possible 27. 2 wins. 1 draw. 6 defeats.

If we lose on Saturday Moore and Pulis have an identical record in there first 10 games in charge. One was absolutely crucified on here and on social media. The other seems to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Football might be slightly better under Moore but results are largely the same? Personally don’t give a crap how we play as long as we pick up points. For me a

1-0 defeat to Preston is no different to a 4-1 defeat to QPR.

Moore has had a shocking start to his Wednesday career.

Pulis was up front in saying all along that we would struggle with the present squad until the January window when additions would help to balance it out. Given backing we would not have been in our current postion. Alas, that backing was not to be and here we are.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, OwlerIT said:

So enlighten me, which parts are wrong? 

Says that we would have got more games out of Fletcher with Pulis in charge other than Monk - Not sure where the evidence for that is, infact given Pulis loves to lump it up to a target man more than anyone I would say Fletcher would be more likely to break down under Pulis if anything.

"His style of football was awful but he'd have had a big man in Nuhiu to suit it" - anyone who knows anything about football can see after 10 minutes of watching Nuhiu play that he wouldnt suit a Pulis team. Nuhiu is a big guy but quite often gave away needless fouls when battling in the air with defenders. Also his game is not one for winning headers despite his size, how often did you hear people say he gets shorter when he jumps? pretty much every game.

Hes a much better player at holding the ball up and bringing people in to play with the ball being played to his feet, he had an ability to attract and hold off 2-3 defenders sometimes when he had the ball so with Tim Lees bombing the ball to his head using Pulisball tactics it doesnt suit him at all, in fact pretty much the opposite.

"12 point deduction could have been applied last year instead of this" - The case was that they couldnt apply the penalty last year due to it meant that it would mean certain relegation. You are however presuming that had we finished more than 12 points clear we would have had the penalty applied last season however both of these outcomes are not mutually exclusive. If we’d have finished 13 points clear the EFL would have just requested that it be applied this season anyway as theres no point giving us a deduction after after the event which doesn’t have an affect on our season.

On 18/04/2021 at 13:46, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m sure DC said in the media briefing before sacking Monk, saying that if we need to spend he’ll spend.

So don’t think it’s beyond the realms of possibility Pulis thought there would be money available to improve the squad.

SPOILER ALERT - we re-signed a player we released in the summer and a lad who hadn’t played football for 6 months.

Pulis is vastly experienced within football. Surely he looked at the state of our finances recently, who we have signed in previous windows and how much we have spent.

He also took the job on in November, 2 months and over a dozen games before the transfer window opened, I expected him to come in and improve on results and performances under Monk.

Sadly, although it should barely have been possible, both results and performances got significantly worse under his short reign. 

Edited by Guest

The Pulis appointment was a terrible one and was never going to work.  Darragh Mc Anthony on his podcast said that the Pulis appointment was worse than poor and whoever advised our chairman on this should be sacked! I could not agree more.  If Moore had come in then I think we could have got out of this.  His appointment was too late but I have to say the team has looked a lot better under him.  The problem is that the team has such a losing culture there was not enough time to turn it round. 

• Like 3

On 14/04/2021 at 13:42, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

Tony Pulis was written off before he came here for his reputation of being a long ball merchant and people couldn't wait to jump on him at any opportunity.
People had already made their minds up on him. 

He came in and set us up to be solid and tried to limp through to January to make some signings.
Did it work? No it didn't.

Darren Moore is a up and coming "exciting" manager who wants to play attractive football "the modern way" (the only way football can be played all of a sudden) and has tried implemented that since being here.
Fans see a longer term vision and plan with Moore over Pulis.

He has experience of the lower leagues and is that why he was brought in, had we already excepted our fate?

The performances have improved slightly and we now look more free and like we can actually create something suddenly but overall the results are the same.

Has it worked out? Again no it hasn't

We had one objective to stay in the league, we had to try and survive was it wise sitting deep all game under Pulis? 

Has it been wise to suddenly play out from the back under Moore at a crucial point of the season?

We can point and blame whoever we want but all of them have made mistakes and gone with a different plan which hasn't worked over the season.

People point to Monks recruitment - Yes it was poor but look at the bigger picture of it, i think at the same time it's what was on offer and what we could afford.

Kachunga got brought in as another body out of pure desperation for numbers. JP got a contract extension but didn't in terms of he got a clause activated for a further year, if we thought anything about him as a player and first team regular he'd had been offered a totally fresh contract with 2 or 3 years It's clear and obvious we struggled to recruit players last summer and signed some out of sheer desperation.

AND we signed a player with a broken leg for crying out loud.

We've had a core group of players that have been at this club far far too long, the only way we've got rid of them and their high wages is releasing them at the end of their contracts.
Problem is when you have outgoings you need to replace those players with similar and ideally better players, We've not done that.

Even last summer we released Kieran Lee and Nuhiu and we didn't even replace those.

When you look at football teams they have a identity, Rotherham for example everyone says they play direct and long ball etc but they've done it effectively to pick points up, Yes they are poor so they've not picked lots up but they have probably the smallest budget apart from Wycombe and they are getting results.
This squad has zero identity, we're not good enough to play out from the back, we're not good enough to play long ball, it's a team that's been gradually broken up and players haven't been replaced and its a team made up of scraps with no plan in place to play a certain style. 

We went for the big time, overspending and not selling players, now we've ended up on our backsides.
It's deeper than any of the managers and while i think it wasn't wise to sit deep all game under Pulis and it isn't wise with however many games left to suddenly try and play out from the back with Tom Lees and co
i won't hold any of this seasons managers solely responsible for this Football clubs demise.

Absolute spot on post

Myself and few others have said the same

I posted it in another thread

Someone posted a Steve Bruce comment about it

We needed to refresh after the Hull Wembley defeat. We absolutely needed to refresh after huddersfield

Instead we've sat on our laurels, building a ******** "family" and this is where we are. penniless, scrapping the barrel for average mediocre players and expecting to survive in a tough division

There are 2 constants throughout all of this. The players and  the chairman

Both are culpable for this shitshow thats been dished up

Summer, i'd release everyone out of contract (except Hutchinson), i'd absolutely get rid of Bannan as well given what he's earning and what he's actually producing, and I'd look at tranfers listing some players that are in contract.

The rot needs to stop and summer is as good a time to start as any

Get rid of the old, refresh and bring in the youth, the hungry, the dynamic, players that want to play for the club and will run through brick walls

• Like 4

We're very clearly playing much better under Moore and actually have a shape/style/strategy/attacking intent then, yes obviously results are still not what we want/need but when under Pulis did we have 20 shots in one match? Should have been 2 or 3 up long before Bristol City equalised and that's Bannan's penalty miss aside.

• Like 4

On 19/04/2021 at 08:58, hirstyboywonder said:

Pulis is vastly experienced within football. Surely he looked at the state of our finances recently, who we have signed in previous windows and how much we have spent.

He also took the job on in November, 2 months and over a dozen games before the transfer window opened, I expected him to come in and improve on results and performances under Monk.

Sadly, although it should barely have been possible, both results and performances got significantly worse under his short reign. 

Completely agree. The performances under Pulis were dreadful. We were lucky to get the points that we did under him - a couple of Adam Reach goals out of nothing and hanging on for dear life and scraping a 1-0 win in a game we deserved to draw.

We actually created as many chances in that Bristol City game on Saturday as we did in the first six games under Pulis. Looks like Moore has come in too late to save us this season, but the people comparing Moore with Pulis on this thread need their eyes testing.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Completely agree. The performances under Pulis were dreadful. We were lucky to get the points that we did under him - a couple of Adam Reach goals out of nothing and hanging on for dear life and scraping a 1-0 win in a game we deserved to draw.

We actually created as many chances in that Bristol City game on Saturday as we did in the first six games under Pulis. Looks like Moore has come in too late to save us this season, but the people comparing Moore with Pulis on this thread need their eyes testing.

Spot on.