Liam Shaw v Hutchinson/pato

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Or his performances could have dropped off and the Celtic offer be withdrawn. If I was him I’d be desperate to get signed up on a contract that would set me up for life, and that’s what he’s done. Will be another George Hirst, probably won’t be up to much in 2-3 years but creamed off a 7 figure amount 

He's 20 and a developing professional footballer. Pretty sure he'd be set for life regardless. Even poo players earn millions just being in the squad. It's a money grab move made at the expense of his home town club. So he's trashed his name here and risked his development to cash in at 20 years of age. Its all so short signed and clouded with risk. It's stupid decision making. If he is really worried for an injury ending his career then take out an insurance policy and focus on improving. If he continued to improve keeping Wednesday up and cementing his place at 20 he'd be serious hot property. Instead he will become a reserve player at a big club being loaned out to Hamilton Academical while being a pantomime villiam in his home town. Hard to see how it's not stupid.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Pulixifer said:

He's 20 and a developing professional footballer. Pretty sure he'd be set for life regardless. Even poo players earn millions just being in the squad. It's a money grab move made at the expense of his home town club. So he's trashed his name here and risked his development to cash in at 20 years of age. Its all so short signed and clouded with risk. It's stupid decision making. If he is really worried for an injury ending his career then take out an insurance policy and focus on improving. If he continued to improve keeping Wednesday up and cementing his place at 20 he'd be serious hot property. Instead he will become a reserve player at a big club being loaned out to Hamilton Academical while being a pantomime villiam in his home town. Hard to see how it's not stupid.

You’re completely wrong here, sorry. The premise of your argument is that he continues to develop and his career heads in a positive direction.. if that were to happen then yeah great and he’d get his rewards for it. But there’s literally no certainty that that would happen. He wasn’t involved much until Pulis came, then he got himself sent off against Reading and missed 3 games anyway. Came back and had a bit of a purple patch where he played well and scored against Boro then got MOTM against Derby (despite almost costing us the game), and then the assist against a league 2 side. He’s far from proven.. has potential yes, but that’s all it is and it can go both ways from here. He’d be a fool to not lock in some money if it’s on the table.

There’s no guarantees in football. I went to school with Sean Mcallister, he came through the academy and played more games for us than Shaw has. At his peak at Wednesday he was earning best part of £150k a year.. went out and bought a flash car etc. Then he dropped down the leagues and played for loads of different clubs.. saw him a few years ago and he told me he was on less than £25k, plus he has no job security.. although it’s a great job isn’t it.

Anyway, point is, you have to lock in as much money as you can while you can. There’s no guarantee at all that had he signed for a relatively low wage for a few seasons here that he’d then go on to get big bucks.. he’s probably actually more likely to be another Sean Mc. Unless Wednesday were prepared to match the Celtic contract then he’s made the right decision.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You’re completely wrong here, sorry. The premise of your argument is that he continues to develop and his career heads in a positive direction.. if that were to happen then yeah great and he’d get his rewards for it. But there’s literally no certainty that that would happen. He wasn’t involved much until Pulis came, then he got himself sent off against Reading and missed 3 games anyway. Came back and had a bit of a purple patch where he played well and scored against Boro then got MOTM against Derby (despite almost costing us the game), and then the assist against a league 2 side. He’s far from proven.. has potential yes, but that’s all it is and it can go both ways from here. He’d be a fool to not lock in some money if it’s on the table.

There’s no guarantees in football. I went to school with Sean Mcallister, he came through the academy and played more games for us than Shaw has. At his peak at Wednesday he was earning best part of £150k a year.. went out and bought a flash car etc. Then he dropped down the leagues and played for loads of different clubs.. saw him a few years ago and he told me he was on less than £25k, plus he has no job security.. although it’s a great job isn’t it.

Anyway, point is, you have to lock in as much money as you can while you can. There’s no guarantee at all that had he signed for a relatively low wage for a few seasons here that he’d then go on to get big bucks.. he’s probably actually more likely to be another Sean Mc. Unless Wednesday were prepared to match the Celtic contract then he’s made the right decision.

Exactly right. If you're a young lad like that and you get  a good offer you take it, if youre smart enough you will set yourself up for life while you can (easy to say that when you are older). Easy enough to pick up a serious injury in this game and everything can change quickly. 

Added to that is the fact our club is an absolute shambles and personally I would want to get away as soon as possible.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Exactly right. If you're a young lad like that and you get  a good offer you take it, if youre smart enough you will set yourself up for life while you can (easy to say that when you are older). Easy enough to pick up a serious injury in this game and everything can change quickly. 

Added to that is the fact our club is an absolute shambles and personally I would want to get away as soon as possible.

Absolutely. I am not sure he will be any great loss to us, time will tell in that respect but you can't begrudge him taking this opportunity. More money, a huge club who will be playing in Europe, compared to where we are he would be daft not to take the chance. 

It's certainly a better move than the one Sean Clare made and we are in a much worse state than we were at that time so the reasons for staying with us are far less now. 

2 hours ago, Pulixifer said:

If it was simply a money thing surely wait until the end of the season see where Wednesday are and play the two against each other. Who knows maybe keep the head down kick on improve and even more interested parties enter. As I said seems like he was advised badly/stupid.

Every game he would have played his value would have diminished 

He peaked against Exeter and took the first big pay cheque he could

Cant fault him

4 hours ago, Pulixifer said:

"Pantomime villain in his home town" 😂

You're coming across like a bitter ex, chill out. 

The fact he's a life long Wednedsayite who has decided to leave tells me more about the club and the state it's in than him to be honest. 

Also, Celtic is a brilliant move for him, even if we'd have stayed up. No brainer for me and I hope he does well, completely our fault for not tying him down sooner.

8 hours ago, Lincowl said:

Why would Pato offer his place to billy big balls?

After their pathetic performances today, we should have dropped Hutch and Patterson from the squad as well. Waste of a shirt, the pair of them. 

On 14/04/2021 at 05:32, reggae said:

Just saying. I don't think mr Shaw will play again this season. 

Held by neck in dressing room by Mr Hutchinson after playing billy big balls and slating tactics. 

And then told his effort and attitude is balls by Mr paterson. 

At least the big 2unite for once. 

Suppose Saturday will tell. But no great loss if true 

Will Shaw play on Wednesday? 👀

11 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Probably, Celtic are horrendous in a laughable league. 

I would have thought it would be sensible for all concerned  to leave him out.

Still a reminder to me  of how our current management thought we did not need to play him as we battled to stay up with a powderpuff midfield and of how our best product in years was only promised a pittance.
We don’t really know what happened in that dressing room but if half of it is true, Patto and Hutch would have been disciplined by most managers or at the very least Shaw allowed  to play a full part in the rest of the season, not sidelined.

Guest Therealrealist
On 17/04/2021 at 16:08, Pulixifer said:

Exactamondo