From League 1 to the Prem - What Should the Plan Be?

7 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Bring in a Director of Football to bring a long-term feel to recruitment (the likes of Peterborough, Norwich and Crewe do this we'll). Engage fans off the field and bring their support behind the team - Christmas 2021 Owls in the Park? Get young players out on loan to gain experience, while creating a pathway for youngsters at the club - academy should be a focus. Effectively manage the wage bill - some positions should be allocated more money than others - and effectively utilise the loan market (before this season, this has been done well - more Jacob Murphy, Michael Hector and Frederico Venancio type players please and less Jack Marriott, Connor Wickham and Izzy Brown type players).

Do these things and the results on the pitch will sort themselves.

Brilliant. That is what we are talking about.

On 11/04/2021 at 11:25, Ellis Rimmer said:

Looking on the bright side of life, this has been done quite a few times in recent history, Leicester, Norwich, Saints, United. Us next? lol

But look at similar clubs, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton etc , they all thought they were coming straight back.

Guest T Hardy

Step 1 - sell the club and bring in an owner who at least could look at our squad at the start of this season and say we’re going to be in a battle to stay in the division, not get promoted.

That would be a good start 

Guest Hornsby
3 hours ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

You need to drive Chansiri out(and hope he dosnt screw you on the ground) 

Hope for a more sensible buyer(all you can do) and have him implement a structure... DOF, CEO and manager working together. Tied with a focus on an academy, all working to the same plan. 

I was there when Leeds played a home game at Hillsborough.

Its hard to drive out someone so stupid, legally. 

Edited by Hornsby

On 11/04/2021 at 11:25, Ellis Rimmer said:

Looking on the bright side of life, this has been done quite a few times in recent history, Leicester, Norwich, Saints, United. Us next? lol

Lets not do it the united way - 400 years in league 1... 

• Like 1

The squad as is as depleted in numbers and quality as when Chansiri took over. It needs a similar level of investment to when he came in to put things back on track on the pitch, even in L1.

I do think we have the right manager. The issue remains the owner and his advisor.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

Guest Andy W
On 11/04/2021 at 11:21, heppers said:

So let’s assume we start next season in League 1.

What should the plan be? If DC was to learn from his mistakes, what should we put in place? Which club should we try to copy? 

We'll have to go via L2 cos thats where we're heading

On 11/04/2021 at 11:57, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Norwich.

Get a Technical Director to oversee all aspects of the footballing side of the club. Someone to establish a clear philosophy and organisation tying together not just style of play but coaching, scouting, training, transfer philosophy, medical, sports science which everyone buys into. That would include a head coach who wouldn't be an all powerful figure bringing their own staff (and taking them away when they leave) but someone who fits neatly into an already established organisation.

Invest in facilities and infrastructure like the academy and the training ground which will deliver ongoing rather than temporary improvements.

Recruit smart rather than expensive. Aim to strengthen the squad every season, but an an incremental and affordable way. Look for players who fit the system and have the right personal and professional attributes, and most importantly can be improved. Use a bit of joined up thinking to assess their progress and decide whether to cash in on them or hold onto them. Try and bring a couple of academy graduates into the first team squad every season and work with them to establish a career plan rather than let their contracts run down.

Have a long term plan based on sustainable improvement. Be a bit better and aim a bit higher every year. And stick to the plan - don't get over ambitious or take risks.

And be patient. Don't expect immediate success or be tempted to tear the plan up and start again if there are any setbacks.

Far too much common sense for here lol

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

But look at similar clubs, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton etc , they all thought they were coming straight back.

I am sad to say very few people think we are all aboard HMS Pi55 the League next season.

I would settle for a solid mid table season and bed some new players in.

But with size of club and social media the way it is we will only have to lose a couple on the trot to 'lesser' clubs and people will start to get impatient.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 11:24, S36 OWL said:

Chansiri dosnt have a plan, never has. He came in, threw vast amounts of money at getting the golden ticket to the prem and failed. Since then its been a slow painful death. I honestly feel we are more likely to go down to league two than cone back up next season. 

Might be controversial but we’re we actually any good when we got to play offs? I saw matches that season that didn’t convince me that we had enough quality.

Hull out played us and they weren’t great..and look where they are now...although they are set to come up. 
I reckon it would have been a disaster going up and we’d probably be in terrible debt

• Thanks 1

What should the plan be? If DC was to learn from his mistakes, what should we put in place? Which club should we try to copy? 

We should be Sheffield Wednesday, not try to emulate any other club.

Let's put together a plan for the long term, not the short term, as we have been doing for the last 40 years.

We should build the community side of the club, also the Player development side through the academy.

That means putting any monies we have into the future of the club through building an infrastructure to the future, such the academy.

There is no short cut to success.

I doubt Chansiri could even plan on how to run a bath, so with that in mind I’m not holding out any hope of his chances with a football club.

The way he runs things, the question will soon be “When do Solihull away tickets go on sale” 

• Like 1