From League 1 to the Prem - What Should the Plan Be?

21 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Does anyone expect us to get into the Premiership this decade? Unfortunately I don’t any longer - that’s a sad state of affairs when you think back to how very close we came.

I’m in my mid 30’s, and I’m at the point where that boyish hope and expectation of “of course we’ll make it back” has turned into “I could be dead before they do”. 

Twenty years now we’ve been outside the top flight. I’ve nearly seen more years in League One than I have Prem and I’m not ruling out all of us seeing our first stint in League Two.

Rating my belief in us being back in the Premiership or having to start again with a Phoenix club after SWFC goes bust, I’d say it’s 50/50.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heppers said:

So let’s assume we start next season in League 1.

What should the plan be? If DC was to learn from his mistakes, what should we put in place? Which club should we try to copy? 

the plan should have been to get the players and manager we needed in January and then we wouldn't have had to worry about getting out of league 1

As it is, the plan needs to be for DC to sell up then we can start planning for  future, otherwise we just stumble from one crisis to the next hoping we don't go down again

• Like 2

I’m not confident that we’ll bounce back as quick as before

Moore seems a decent bloke but what has he done in management to suggest he’s the man to turn this around?

Also I’m not convinced DC will get the players to mount a challenge 

On 11/04/2021 at 14:23, S36 OWL said:

We are basically going to have to rebuild the squad in the summer. A hell of a lot of signings will be needed. I think we only have 8 players still under contract for next season. 

Tell our man.

However, if you want to book jet shoes tell him here:

1EB58B32-D0E8-42B6-9CBB-E80B981A781D.jpeg

The club (Chansiri) needs to stop banging on about the Premier League.

In reality he needed to stop doing this at least three years ago.

It's fine to have it as some kind of overall goal but if you aren't doing the other key bits within that aim then it's very difficult to see it going well.

On 11/04/2021 at 20:25, Ellis Rimmer said:

Looking on the bright side of life, this has been done quite a few times in recent history, Leicester, Norwich, Saints, United. Us next? lol

Didn’t we think this the last time we were there and made hard work if it 

Unlike the clubs listed, we won’t have a plan nor the characters to get us there. 

• Haha 1

Hope against Hope we can stay where we are, maybe forlorn !

We remain a pole of attraction in the third tier but not as much so as previously.

So two or three shrewd acquisitions. Two or three lucky stumbles. Fortunately, keepers at this level won't break the bank so one keeper plus Westwood. The retained list will be interesting and maybe some experimental game time to slowly give them an opportunity.

As always nothing taken for granted. 

Bring in a Director of Football to bring a long-term feel to recruitment (the likes of Peterborough, Norwich and Crewe do this we'll). Engage fans off the field and bring their support behind the team - Christmas 2021 Owls in the Park? Get young players out on loan to gain experience, while creating a pathway for youngsters at the club - academy should be a focus. Effectively manage the wage bill - some positions should be allocated more money than others - and effectively utilise the loan market (before this season, this has been done well - more Jacob Murphy, Michael Hector and Frederico Venancio type players please and less Jack Marriott, Connor Wickham and Izzy Brown type players).

Do these things and the results on the pitch will sort themselves.