Goal Attempts - Improvement

Compare these fixtures to where we are now.

Nobody can deny that we’ve seen in the last two games an improvement in the way we’re moving the ball around and coming forward. If you don’t think there’s been a change, then you have a very short memory of Pulis days. See below. 

Cardiff - 12 attempts/6 on target/5 scored. 

QPR - 18 attempts/2 on target/1 scored. 

18 goal attempts - shots to on target conversion just didn’t happen today, but we got in so many good positions. 18 - unheard of 20 games again when it looked that dull.

If we bought Moore in at the Pulis time I don’t think we would be where we are now - maybe if we had another 5 games we might have just stayed up, it’s just a little too late - but we’ve seen the way Moore wants to play and it’s the best football in the last two games so far since Carlos watching us play out. Let’s hope we can recruit players into this system right next year. 

6AB6405F-B758-43F9-AE2B-94C0CFD06FAC.png

F02F09DD-3F68-463B-AD00-473CCFE4978C.png

448A1CFF-F644-414F-AA46-8E8433D845EF.png

86A58FB7-CD21-44B2-A98F-E91CAF820E7F.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You need to charge your phone!

Very good point, we've had goalscoring issues all season, but if we're not creating chances, we're not going to score.  At least with us now shooting more, the law of averages would say we're more likely to start scoring more too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlOnWheels said:

You need to charge your phone!

Very good point, we've had goalscoring issues all season, but if we're not creating chances, we're not going to score.  At least with us now shooting more, the law of averages would say we're more likely to start scoring more too.

We’re going in the right direction - if we play every game till the end of the season with 10-12+ created then like you said, we will score some of them. 

The key to the next 6 games is that we go AHEAD in a game - I think we’ve turned a corner and would be able to build on that. It’s going behind and trying to change and chase the game that we can’t - due to a poor bench. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Compare these fixtures to where we are now.

Nobody can deny that we’ve seen in the last two games an improvement in the way we’re moving the ball around and coming forward. If you don’t think there’s been a change, then you have a very short memory of Pulis days. See below. 

Cardiff - 12 attempts/6 on target/5 scored. 

QPR - 18 attempts/2 on target/1 scored. 

18 goal attempts - shots to on target conversion just didn’t happen today, but we got in so many good positions. 18 - unheard of 20 games again when it looked that dull.

If we bought Moore in at the Pulis time I don’t think we would be where we are now - maybe if we had another 5 games we might have just stayed up, it’s just a little too late - but we’ve seen the way Moore wants to play and it’s the best football in the last two games so far since Carlos watching us play out. Let’s hope we can recruit players into this system right next year. 

6AB6405F-B758-43F9-AE2B-94C0CFD06FAC.png

F02F09DD-3F68-463B-AD00-473CCFE4978C.png

448A1CFF-F644-414F-AA46-8E8433D845EF.png

86A58FB7-CD21-44B2-A98F-E91CAF820E7F.png

Good analysis and gives me hope for next season that we are creating opportunities. All depends what type of player we can recruit in the summer. 

10 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

To be very honest, apart from the score line, I enjoyed yesterday performance from us.

A lot better, not panicking and, on another day, we could have had 2 penalty's, I thought the score line flattered QPR.

Spot on!

Now we are at least attempting to play some football under DM instead of that long ball hoof poo we’ve tried for the first 35 games. 

I genuinely think we played alright yesterday all our better players especially the attacking ones Bannan, Reach, Palmer, Windass had good games. We just lacked some quality in the final third and individual errors from Wildsmith/Lees/Borner made the scoreline look much worse.

Positive signs under DM so far.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Spot on!

Now we are at least attempting to play some football under DM instead of that long ball hoof poo we’ve tried for the first 35 games. 

I genuinely think we played alright yesterday all our better players especially the attacking ones Bannan, Reach, Palmer, Windass had good games. We just lacked some quality in the final third and individual errors from Wildsmith/Lees/Borner made the scoreline look much worse.

Makes you laugh when you see Monk coming on and judging the game 

Absolutely useless - and just shows with the right coaching, we can play football if they’re given the confidence. 

If we get Westwood back in goal, it’ll breed more confidence in the defence too

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Spot on!

Agreed, yes 4-1 is a bad score line, but I disagreed with the pundits about performance levels dropping as I thought we actually played alright.  Annoyingly for a team that can be on holiday QPR put a shift in. 

And we had zero luck yesterday.  Should of had 2 penalties, had the Windass goalbound shot cleared off the line, Rhodes missed 1 (or 2?) very good chances for him.  And qpr’s important second was deflected in by our player (and our dodgy goalie).

Definitely need to go with the same team again on Tuesday with Westwood in goal.  And if they put in a similar performance then we can’t complain too much, we just don’t have very good players thanks to Chansiri 

• Like 3

Was never a 4-1 game yesterday but the ref made sure it was. Should have been a lot more even.  the problem with having more attacking intent is that it opens us up at the back hence why we shipped 4 goals, and why we haven’t tried it more frequently this season

8 games under Moore including 5 defeats but there has been improvement in performances, that much is clear.

To get an improvement with this group of players in a relatively short space of time bodes well for the future.

In truth he is being hampered by old issues such as a weak goalkeeping department then invariably impacts the solidity in play of the defenders. To have a strong defence you need the back 4/5 to work in tandem with the goalkeeper. It invariably does when Westwood’s between the sticks but his fitness record has and is a big issue and was probably the reason he didn’t start yesterday?

The Balance in midfield, the weak mentality of the squad particularly when chasing a game, the lack of strength in depth, see the recent bench choices.

These issues are going to take a lot longer to sort than a couple of months or so.

I think we’ve got the right manager in place but if some don’t then fair enough?

• Like 4

I’ve felt pretty awful after most games this season as we’ve lost and been woeful with no idea how to progress the ball into the attacking third.

Yesterday I was left feeling that we lost 4-1 but could have won that game.

I thought even at 3-1 down we looked capable of getting back into

it. 
I enjoyed how we played 

• Like 1

Simple fact is I don’t think any manager could make us play better than we are now.  There’s a clear shape/structure to our play and we are trying to play football rather than hoof ball.  And we’ve seen players like Bannan, Windass, Rhodes and Paterson improve since Moore took over.  Even Klopp and Pep can’t polish a t*rd.  Moore has very little to work with right now.  Just have to hope he’s given the opportunity to sign the players he wants in the summer 

• Like 2

I think we can all see the improvement in recent games, but let’s face it the situation is such that there is now no alternative but to go on the attack.. Yesterday’s return of one goal from 18 attempts was poor though and its almost as if we used up all our luck with five from twelve v Cardiff which was truly exceptional. 

We have to go with the same outfield players and tactics on Tuesday but Westwood in goal to improve the defensive organisation. I’m sure the back 3/4 are more comfortable with him at their backs and I reckon he would have saved a couple of those goals yesterday. It may well be too little too late but we have to finish strongly even if it’s a lost cause. At least now we are beginning to see a style of play which can only help in choosing the type of player needed for next season after the clearing out the players who have failed us this season. 

29 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Was never a 4-1 game yesterday but the ref made sure it was. Should have been a lot more even.  the problem with having more attacking intent is that it opens us up at the back hence why we shipped 4 goals, and why we haven’t tried it more frequently this season

Agreed. 4-1 hugely flattered QPR.  We're looking better. I'm actually enjoying how we're playing and I've not been able to say that for a long while.

We chased the game and got punished late on; not helped by a couple of penalty decisions that went against us.

57 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

This is a very well reasoned and positive thread! 

If it's well reasoned then i'll go with that.

You have to score to win and winning is all that counts..... not attempts

We lost  4 - 1.  A near thrashing.

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

I’ve felt pretty awful after most games this season as we’ve lost and been woeful with no idea how to progress the ball into the attacking third.

Yesterday I was left feeling that we lost 4-1 but could have won that game.

I thought even at 3-1 down we looked capable of getting back into

it. 
I enjoyed how we played 

I thought we played as well as we were allowed to yesterday,  which was pretty good in the first half, but QPR got at us from the off and I was impressed with them.

To use a phrase often quoted, if we’d played like that all season we wouldn’t get relegated. On another day Rhodes scores the chance we had and Wildsmith saves the deflection and it’s a different outcome. Yesterday at 2-1 down we showed more character than we have all season when going behind, but I think at 3-1 and 20 mins left the belief started to fade

I’m reasonably happy with the way Moore has set us up and the way he wants us to play. I still think even if he’d been here sooner we’d still be struggling to stay up mainly because the squad is so weak!

We aren’t really carrying that many injuries to our attacking players and our options are still so thin it’s embarrassing when we make substitutions! Kachunga isn’t a striker and yet we are bringing him on to chase a game!? It would comical if it wasn’t so pitiful!