Chansiri, Change or Leave!

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Having used the exec boxes a number of times, I can confirm that the price hikes that came in when DC bought the club were eye watering and he managed to completely alienate many local businesses that had a commercial relationship with the club over decades. 

We now have corporate facilities in the south stand that generate relatively little income because they are empty. Its the same mindset that has stopped us generating revenue by selling players or not selling shirt sponsorship for the last 5 years which is just crazy and smacks of DC's narcissistic inflexibility and total lack of pragmatism.

How do you see ticket revenue for next season? Assuming all is approaching normal by Sept then we will do well to get 10-12K punters thru the gates for a L1 campaign.

Commercial relationships or loads of freebies?

The price hike did come in and alienate many local businesses but these local businesses had been under paying for cooperate facilities for years. 

Look at the accounts under MM. Total matchday commercial revenue of just under £2m. That's over 23 home games and with goodness knows how many boxes and suites. 

DC has grown commercial income to over £8m. Not brilliant for a club our size but far higher than it was before he took over. 

7 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Remember that our money pays for nothing according to Chansiri.

If it comes to pass that next year we are in L1 and the crowds are 10-12K then he will have to put his hands even deeper in his pockets to fund the club.

Its going to be very interesting to see where he thinks he can set POTG prices to get enough folk in the ground to fund a L1 promotion push. 

He has got no one to blame but himself for the position that he finds himself in.

But therein lies the problem.

If our crowds shrink, then so does our turnover.

If our ticket prices are reduced, then it will shrink further still.

If our turnover shrinks then his allowance shrinks. Ooh Err.

It wouldn't matter if Chansiri were the richest man on Earth, the turnover dictates what he can spend.

Hence raised ticket prices, fake taxi companies and all that jazz, to make our turnover appear as big as possible.

In a sense, Chansiri is right; our money dictates how much of his he can spend, rather than being important in itself.

This has been the problem all along, in that we've been competing with parachute clubs who can spend as they like.

What's the difference between money gifted to the parachute clubs and the money Channers had to spend?

Basically none, but they could spend theirs, we couldn't.

And both we and Derby fell foul of that unfair rule against 'Ull.

When Chansiri arrived there was no youth policy, so he'd no choice but throw money at it.

The snag is that he wasn't allowed to throw it at it like the relegated PL teams could.

6 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Because every possible income stream for clubs our size in the Championship, need to be maximised

What revenue streams, apart from ticket prices, has Chansiri sought to maximise?

What new streams has he brought online to increase revenue?  

What new ideas has he brought into Wednesday?

If & when we go down I would like a statement from him, firstly to explain in detail what the eff has gone wrong from his perspective, and secondly to explain the plan from here on out.

In this plan I don’t want ‘in five years we’ll be in the prem’ nonsense. Don’t put dates on things. All we ask for is for improvement, big or small, year on year, and I want to see how he plans to achieve that. 

I don’t think it’s a lot to ask for. But we won’t get it cos he’s said before that you apparently can plan at a football club as it’s not like any other business.

Guest Hornsby

Our div 3 income income reduction, plus loss of comp from Mags and stadium loan repayment means we are £18 million down on last accounts.

And thats minimum.

Guest Mcguigan
17 minutes ago, Manwë said:

What revenue streams, apart from ticket prices, has Chansiri sought to maximise?

What new streams has he brought online to increase revenue?  

What new ideas has he brought into Wednesday?

I didn't say he'd succeeded, I merely pointed out that every possible revenue stream needs maximising for clubs in the Championship. 

He's dome that with our matchday income, as much as he can. 

40 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

But therein lies the problem.

If our crowds shrink, then so does our turnover.

If our ticket prices are reduced, then it will shrink further still.

If our turnover shrinks then his allowance shrinks. Ooh Err.

It wouldn't matter if Chansiri were the richest man on Earth, the turnover dictates what he can spend.

Hence raised ticket prices, fake taxi companies and all that jazz, to make our turnover appear as big as possible.

In a sense, Chansiri is right; our money dictates how much of his he can spend, rather than being important in itself.

This has been the problem all along, in that we've been competing with parachute clubs who can spend as they like.

What's the difference between money gifted to the parachute clubs and the money Channers had to spend?

Basically none, but they could spend theirs, we couldn't.

And both we and Derby fell foul of that unfair rule against 'Ull.

When Chansiri arrived there was no youth policy, so he'd no choice but throw money at it.

The snag is that he wasn't allowed to throw it at it like the relegated PL teams could.

Enough excuses for the bloke who is taking us into the Third Division. 

7 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Because every possible income stream for clubs our size in the Championship, need to be maximised.

We can’t afford to reduce ticket prices, have the same number of fans attend and lose a couple of £m from the income.

People use the “our money pays for nothing” line as a huge stick to beat DC with without thinking what our contribution does actually pay for.

Latest set of accounts show it cost around £50m to run the club with a competitive but not top end Championship wage bill. So our, the fans, contribution was around 20% of that. 

Why do we have to be the most expensive in the division?

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Commercial relationships or loads of freebies?

The price hike did come in and alienate many local businesses but these local businesses had been under paying for cooperate facilities for years. 

Look at the accounts under MM. Total matchday commercial revenue of just under £2m. That's over 23 home games and with goodness knows how many boxes and suites. 

DC has grown commercial income to over £8m. Not brilliant for a club our size but far higher than it was before he took over. 

I would say that you are being a bit disingenuous with that comparison.

How much of that £8M is actual income and how much of it is Chansiri putting money in and "dressing it up" as income?

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of what he's done, fact is he has royally screwed the ownership & running of the club. It takes a special kind of incompetence to pour hundreds of millions into a club and for it to be in a much worse state 5 years down the line with relegation to League 1 almost certain to happen in the next couple of weeks.

We are in a right mess and its down entirely to 1 man.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
8 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Because every possible income stream for clubs our size in the Championship, need to be maximised.

We can’t afford to reduce ticket prices, have the same number of fans attend and lose a couple of £m from the income.

People use the “our money pays for nothing” line as a huge stick to beat DC with without thinking what our contribution does actually pay for.

Latest set of accounts show it cost around £50m to run the club with a competitive but not top end Championship wage bill. So our, the fans, contribution was around 20% of that. 

But that’s exactly what he must do though. You can’t just put the ticket prices up and up and there be no effect on demand indefinitely, there’s a tipping point.

If he doesn’t cut prices attendances will be well down. People will think ‘I hate the owner, the footballs crap, we’re in league 1, this is expensive, I’ve not been for a year and found something else to do etc’.

If he does cut prices attendances will

probably go down anyway, just not as much.

You only maximise revenue by increasing prices if there’s little elasticity of demand, and the last 12 months are going to have made it much more price elastic.

Guest Mcguigan
6 minutes ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

I would say that you are being a bit disingenuous with that comparison.

How much of that £8M is actual income and how much of it is Chansiri putting money in and "dressing it up" as income?

We can argue all day about the rights and wrongs of what he's done, fact is he has royally screwed the ownership & running of the club. It takes a special kind of incompetence to pour hundreds of millions into a club and for it to be in a much worse state 5 years down the line with relegation to League 1 almost certain to happen in the next couple of weeks.

We are in a right mess and its down entirely to 1 man.

Does it matter?

I’m pretty sure that a company offered DC £3m to promote their name on the North Stand seats or £2-3m for shirt sponsorship he’d take it.

The fact is, our attractiveness as a commercial partner is very poor and has been for years. If the best that’s offered by local or national businesses doesn’t reflect a fair market value to DC, why wouldn’t he stick his own money in and dress it up as income?

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

But that’s exactly what he must do though. You can’t just put the ticket prices up and up and there be no effect on demand indefinitely, there’s a tipping point.

If he doesn’t cut prices attendances will be well down. People will think ‘I hate the owner, the footballs crap, we’re in league 1, this is expensive, I’ve not been for a year and found something else to do etc’.

If he does cut prices attendances will

probably go down anyway, just not as much.

You only maximise revenue by increasing prices if there’s little elasticity of demand, and the last 12 months are going to have made it much more price elastic.

Hasn’t he frozen season ticket prices for the last five years. And who said he’ll be putting prices up next season?

If we drop a division, prices will drop. Not by much I’d guess but there would be some reduction.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

Hasn’t he frozen season ticket prices for the last five years. And who said he’ll be putting prices up next season?

If we drop a division, prices will drop. Not by much I’d guess but there would be some reduction.

Yeah but I mean they’re still too high.. people’s stomach for paying it has changed due to views on the chairman, the pandemic, the team, quality of football and league status. So the price level at which revenue is maximised is much lower than current prices. If prices are left the same or reduced only a small amount then demand will drop significantly 

1 hour ago, rickygoo said:

Enough excuses for the bloke who is taking us into the Third Division. 

When Chansiri arrived, he said that he'd spend £250 million to get us into the PL.

Had he had a free hand, like the parachute clubs, then I'm sure he would have done.

I've criticized Chansiri for lots of things, mainly for his stubbornness, but the mess we're in isn't entirely his fault.

He came into a club which had had no investment for a decade and a half.

We'd no youth policy, and frankly compared to out Yorkshire neighbours our production of talent has been a disgrace for many years.

We don't have national support and a turnover to match, like Leeds, nor do we have the profile to attract a Bielsa.

We're not downright lucky enough to get a Wilder, and on the brink of the semi we lost the one player we couldn't afford to lose out of a squad of 34 players.

If promotion was to be achieved quickly - which most fans wanted - then gambling was the only option open to Chansiri.

True, he should have gambled better, but nevertheless P&S did tie his hands unfairly IMO.

But reducing the size of our turnover next season is hardly conducive to our going back up promptly, wherever you stand on Dejer's performance to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Don't know. Do you?

I do know the answer yes. We don't.

How any single individual that's not related to or employed by Chansiri is sticking up for him is beyond me. The bloke has been a disaster. It looks like we are going to be a Third Division club with no ground, saddled with an incompetent owner who's going to take a huge loss if he ever finds a buyer. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

If we win the first five games the POTG will be the highest for years

At 20 quid probably.. at 35 quid to watch us beat forest green rovers it really won’t. It’s very much price elastic 

Guest Mcguigan
6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Yeah but I mean they’re still too high.. people’s stomach for paying it has changed due to views on the chairman, the pandemic, the team, quality of football and league status. So the price level at which revenue is maximised is much lower than current prices. If prices are left the same or reduced only a small amount then demand will drop significantly 

With Lg1 bringing a £7-8m reduction in TV and Central Distribution payments, DC’s biggest challenge is to find the perfect balance between income and affordability of match day revenue.

He’ll never please everyone.