• Rhodes
    • Windass
    • Reach
    • Harris
    • Kachunga
    • Green
    • Pelupessy

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Not at all. You'll find plenty of people that have been saying consistently that, if fit, Westwppd should start. If fit, he should have started.

You’ll also find plenty, if not more saying pick the same team that beat Cardiff.

Easy to sit after a match and say what should have happened. Easy. 

On 10/04/2021 at 17:12, TodwickOwl said:

Done by a sloppy OG with a keeper that had wet hands. Westwood in net for the last 6 games please. 

Essentially we played good football in the right way still, we missed some good ones too - last week they all went in. One of those games, 4-1 didn’t reflect the result. 

We need to be stronger in the air at the back - think that’s where most teams will find us out, but we’ve got 3 home games now where we can stretch the pitch and we still played the ball on the floor and opened them up down the left more than 10 times in second half, but we didn’t land one cross right, a lot of wasted chances.

The problem we now have is if we fall behind we have nobody to impact the game, we really have to go at teams like Cardiff from the off and get ahead and defend, we cannot afford to have to chase as it’s a pathetic bench. 

Please stick to that first 11 DM - we’ve created a ton of chances today not converted, go again next week. 

DM has the team playing better looking football.

But in a relegation fight, you need a well drilled defence ( from yesterday's appalling defensive display, they are obviously not drilled) so you fight to not concede esp away from home, and the ability to score a winning goal to get three points.That ought to be the strategy.  I believe DM has misjudged what is required ( new system etc),  except for now playing two upfront, and I still do not understand why the kind of powderpuff midfield we put out esp away is not reinforced by Shaw,  with Hutchinson and Bannan keeping an eye on him.The midfield is incapable of controlling a game , with Bannan only good at passing and Reach unreliable in any midfield battle. Midfield needs real energy and willingness to fight it out. Paterson and Hutchinson are not able to compensate for the weakness of these two.Shaw for Paterson surely. 

Back to playing like we have all season to go! URGENCY!!!!!! could tell just one team had nothing to play for! Never seen a side play games like they are in mistake mediocrity at end of the season when we SHOULD be playing like it's win or we are DOWN! utterly CRAZY 

11 hours ago, 0114 said:

You’ll also find plenty, if not more saying pick the same team that beat Cardiff.

Easy to sit after a match and say what should have happened. Easy. 

Not sure you're getting where I'm coming from. Going back to.my original post, the point I'm making is that managers who see the players every day are paid to make these decisions on the back of their knowledge and experience. They shouldn't need hindsight. More often than not theh should be prepared to make the call before waiting for a n opportunity to 'softly' drop a player - forget Owlstalk, it's down to the manager to have the foresight to make the correct decision.

On what I've seen and heard so far, I'm linking this appointment, but IMO he got this one wrong.

24 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Not sure you're getting where I'm coming from. Going back to.my original post, the point I'm making is that managers who see the players every day are paid to make these decisions on the back of their knowledge and experience. They shouldn't need hindsight. More often than not theh should be prepared to make the call before waiting for a n opportunity to 'softly' drop a player - forget Owlstalk, it's down to the manager to have the foresight to make the correct decision.

On what I've seen and heard so far, I'm linking this appointment, but IMO he got this one wrong.

I’m not getting where your coming from at all. 
Your talking about Westwood like he’s the Kieran Westwood of 2015-2018. 

Westwood’s performances this season have been just as average as Wildsmith. His performance at Millwall was just as bad, if not worse than Wildsmith the other day. 

New manager comes in, and Westwood gets injured. Joe Wildsmith takes the shirt and does nothing wrong, why does he drop him after a 5-0 win and a run of games where he does nothing wrong. 

Be poor for the manager to drop a player when they haven’t played badly. THAT would be poor management. 

All in all the goalkeeper department needs addressing in the summer. Westwood isn’t the standard he was and can hardly make it through a warm up nowadays and Wildsmith and Dawson aren’t up to being consistent number 1s.

On 10/04/2021 at 18:14, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

But we were overrun in centre midfield because Bannan and Hutch lack pace, power and athleticism. Bannan and Reach made no attempt to close down the cross for the third. Bannan dropped too deep most of the time today after it looked like the penny had finally dropped against Cardiff.  He set his standards in that game and fell way short today, as did most of our big players. The odd clever pass over 90 minutes can’t be classed as playing well. Bannan can’t be exempt from critique when he allows his standards to fall. 

Exactly this. Bannan and Hutch playing at being defenders rather than midfielders as they have done for about 3 seasons.

Who the fizz are they marking? Look at the space in front of them where they are supposed to be.

If it were Lees and Osaze I'd be telling both of them to fizz off out of their space in a high pitched whiney voice flapping my arms about.

Screenshot_20210412-112813__01.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/04/2021 at 22:54, Kagoshimaowl said:

Bannan 8 if you don’t understand what Barry brings to this team you’re a fool. Some amazing passing today

I agree. His creativity with the ball on the attack is second to none.

But without the ball on the defensive both he and Hutch vacate midfield far too often leaving us exposed time and time again. The second goal being a classic example of this.

Every coin has two sides. Bannan no exception.

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I agree. His creativity with the ball on the attack is second to none.

But without the ball on the defensive both he and Hutch vacate midfield far too often leaving us exposed time and time again. The second goal being a classic example of this.

Every coin has two sides. Bannan no exception.

True but if Luongo was fit it wouldn’t be so much of an issue.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, 0114 said:

I’m not getting where your coming from at all. 
Your talking about Westwood like he’s the Kieran Westwood of 2015-2018. 

Westwood’s performances this season have been just as average as Wildsmith. His performance at Millwall was just as bad, if not worse than Wildsmith the other day. 

New manager comes in, and Westwood gets injured. Joe Wildsmith takes the shirt and does nothing wrong, why does he drop him after a 5-0 win and a run of games where he does nothing wrong. 

Be poor for the manager to drop a player when they haven’t played badly. THAT would be poor management. 

All in all the goalkeeper department needs addressing in the summer. Westwood isn’t the standard he was and can hardly make it through a warm up nowadays and Wildsmith and Dawson aren’t up to being consistent number 1s.

Absolute nonsense. Yes Westwood dropped a clanged for the Millwall third but he singlehandedly kept us in the game before that. Wildsmith NEVER does that!

1 minute ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Absolute nonsense. Yes Westwood dropped a clanged for the Millwall third but he singlehandedly kept us in the game before that. Wildsmith NEVER does that!

It’s not nonsense, in my opinion Westwood has been poor this season.

Millwall away he was also at fault for the 2nd, shot right at him at the near post that goes through his hands. The 3rd was abysmal, if Wildsmith or Dawson concede that goal supports would be demanding they never play again. 

But again the point I’m making isn’t that Wildsmith is better than Westwood it’s that Wildsmith hasn’t been that bad to be dropped (until QPR) and Westwood’s form hasn’t been good to the point anyone should be dropped the second he’s fit. 

Unfortunately Westwood isn’t the keeper of 2015-2018 anymore.

The goalkeeping situation is something that really needs addressing this summer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

Exactly this. Bannan and Hutch playing at being defenders rather than midfielders as they have done for about 3 seasons.

Who the fizz are they marking? Look at the space in front of them where they are supposed to be.

If it were Lees and Osaze I'd be telling both of them to fizz off out of their space in a high pitched whiney voice flapping my arms about.

Screenshot_20210412-112813__01.jpg

Yes this is a classic example of our midfield weakness and its not an isolated incident. Space like this opens up multiple times every time these two play together.

Dont get me wrong JP is a very poor midfielder however he would be 10 yards closer to their midfielder in this situation.

Hutch is a waste of a shirt, as you say he spends more time sat in the defence than midfield. What we have lacked for as long as i can remember is a dominant defensive central midfielder not some defender turned midfield player. Someone who in this situation would be in the right place but is also good enough to have a go at Bannan when he drops too deep and drag him back into position.   

24 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

You mean like a fit Luongo

Does such a person exist? Swindon had one and QPR had one but we have never had one. Although I would say Luongo is more of an all round player than a defensive midfielder, he gets forward and supports quite often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Yes this is a classic example of our midfield weakness and its not an isolated incident. Space like this opens up multiple times every time these two play together.

Dont get me wrong JP is a very poor midfielder however he would be 10 yards closer to their midfielder in this situation.

Hutch is a waste of a shirt, as you say he spends more time sat in the defence than midfield. What we have lacked for as long as i can remember is a dominant defensive central midfielder not some defender turned midfield player. Someone who in this situation would be in the right place but is also good enough to have a go at Bannan when he drops too deep and drag him back into position.   

For me this has been the big problem with Hutchinson this year. When he has played at the back he has done reasonably well but the Cardiff game aside, when playing in midfield he has sat so deep that it has been like playing with 4 centre-backs which leaves the opposition loads of space in midfield.

Bannan's ability on the ball has been clear to see in the last two games but he can't cover for players we don't have in midfield when we don't have the ball as well. What position was Paterson supposed to be playing on Saturday? His contribution amounted to a 2nd half shot off target, a poor header in his own box and a few throw-ins. He added very little to us in terms of attacking or defending. 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

It’s not nonsense, in my opinion Westwood has been poor this season.

Millwall away he was also at fault for the 2nd, shot right at him at the near post that goes through his hands. The 3rd was abysmal, if Wildsmith or Dawson concede that goal supports would be demanding they never play again. 

But again the point I’m making isn’t that Wildsmith is better than Westwood it’s that Wildsmith hasn’t been that bad to be dropped (until QPR) and Westwood’s form hasn’t been good to the point anyone should be dropped the second he’s fit. 

Unfortunately Westwood isn’t the keeper of 2015-2018 anymore.

The goalkeeping situation is something that really needs addressing this summer. 

How do you propose we do this?

Westwood may be off the wage bill but Dawson is contracted to 2024 and Wildsmith to summer 2022. Both have decent Championship wages, it 'd be easier to sell snow to eskimos than move either of those two on and we are hardly excelling in the field of obtaining transfer fees as it is. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How do you propose we do this?

Westwood may be off the wage bill but Dawson is contracted to 2024 and Wildsmith to summer 2022. Both have decent Championship wages, it 'd be easier to sell snow to eskimos than move either of those two on and we are hardly excelling in the field of obtaining transfer fees as it is. 

I do think Wildsmith would hold interest to clubs. With him having 1 year left on his deal it would be right to take any offers seriously. 

With Westwood leaving that would free up some decent wages. But I’d suggest we bring in a keeper that undoubtedly is the number 1.

The keeper spot has been shared between Wildsmith, Westwood and Dawson going right back to Jos Luhukay. We as a team need a definitive number 1. So I’d make it a priority to bring in a quality keeper of L1 standard.

11 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I do think Wildsmith would hold interest to clubs. With him having 1 year left on his deal it would be right to take any offers seriously. 

With Westwood leaving that would free up some decent wages. But I’d suggest we bring in a keeper that undoubtedly is the number 1.

The keeper spot has been shared between Wildsmith, Westwood and Dawson going right back to Jos Luhukay. We as a team need a definitive number 1. So I’d make it a priority to bring in a quality keeper of L1 standard.

I completely agree we need a new number 1 and the keeper situation has been a farce since Jos.

I also agree that it would be right to take any offers for Wildsmith seriously, in fact I'd snap their hands off if they were willing to pay him more than £5K a week just to take him, I just can't see who would.