Chansiri blocked players from leaving Sheffield Wednesday

Screenshot 2021-04-09 at 09.15.51.jpg

David Jones has revealed Dejphon Chansiri blocked him from leaving Sheffield Wednesday despite being frozen out by Jos Luhukay.

The ex-Owls midfielder was one of four senior players that were ostracised from the first-team squad by the Dutchman, along with Keiren Westwood, Sam Hutchinson and George Boyd.

Luhukay informed Jones in pre-season that he was free to leave the club, however, after talks with Chansiri, it was clear that the Wednesday owner still regarded Jones as an asset to the club.

"There was interest and offers on the table where I could have left for other Championship clubs," Jones said.

"I had conversations with the chairman, my relationship with him was good. I think his heart is in the right place with everything he does. He's a good guy, in his opinion, he's looking after Sheffield Wednesday's best interest. It was difficult for me to get out because his thought on me didn't align with the manager's view.

"His words to me were that I was a professional that was always fit and, for example, football can change very quickly and if the manager was to part, you never know how long managers will last, the next man might want me.

The offers on the table, if Wednesday wanted a fee or wage issues, I was certainly prepared to take a pay cut and I put that on the table a number of times.

"I wanted to play football, although I'd have loved if the manager had said 'you can stay and fight for your place' but. after the conversation I'd had, and I was training with the 23s.

"You feel, as a professional at 34, I didn't want to get to the end of my contract and not be playing games. It's held me back in the last 18 months."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Quite a few ex players and managers have said they get on well with Chansiri and that his hearts in the right place, but it’s clear he’s out of his depth. 

Id love it if he could turn it around because at least he’s put his own money in and gave it a go. 

Do I think he can turn it around? Probably not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just one example of his incompetence, the squad at that time was bloated and the recruitment was appalling - we recruited bodies rather than what we needed.

We'll be paying the price for Chansiri's poor leadership for years at this rate. I'll never understand why we signed players commanding big fees/wages, let them run their contact down and then leave for nothing to rivals. It's a recipe for disaster and it's also happening with our academy, which is like finding a pot of gold in your shed and chucking it over your neighbour's fence.

• Like 7

DC is that boss that everyone likes, as he always says yes and everyone gets away with murder.

However when the poo hits the fan and the fingers are pointed at exactly where it went wrong. it's like he's completely surprised and is the last to know.

I've worked with a few blokes like that, they're usually middle management people pleasers though rather than the big boss which is what makes this scary

• Like 3

Yeah David.

The club has received a loan offer for you. But you are going nowhere as they are only willing to pay 10k a week of your wages which works out at about 3%. 

So don't listen to the manager. You are staying.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Quite a few ex players and managers have said they get on well with Chansiri and that his hearts in the right place, but it’s clear he’s out of his depth. 

Id love it if he could turn it around because at least he’s put his own money in and gave it a go. 

Do I think he can turn it around? Probably not.

"Probably" It's the hope that kills you pal 

:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

Thing is as well although Jones and Boyd looked decent additions on paper it was soon obvious that both

players was past there sell by date.

Any other club in which one of these players wanted to leave they have been more than happy to move them on.

Typical Chansiri.

• Like 3