Loved his reaction when Windass did that punt towards Palmer, he was flapping his arms as if "what the F is that"? Maybe he thought that he had a monopoly on those Bannanesque type hopeful long punts, but as soon as Paterson scored, he was flapping his arms again with delight, I jumped off the sofa and landed on the coffee table, Bannanesque type passes long may they continue

Edited by Daniele Giovanni
Forgot letter
  • Haha 1

I think the whole goal was lucky. The original pass was well spotted but just a bit too far infront of Palmer. Palmer did well to keep it in but he didn't really have a hope of picking out his man, he hit it into the middle hopefully but too fast. Paterson did remarkably well to hit the ball at all, the fact that he hammered it in exactly the right place was probably more luck than great play.

None of that matters, the end result was a goal of the season contender.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, prowl said:

I think the whole goal was lucky. The original pass was well spotted but just a bit too far infront of Palmer. Palmer did well to keep it in but he didn't really have a hope of picking out his man, he hit it into the middle hopefully but too fast. Paterson did remarkably well to hit the ball at all, the fact that he hammered it in exactly the right place was probably more luck than great play.

To be fair with Palmer I often think he gets some really good crosses into the box, mainly when he dosnt have the time or space to think about it or try pick someone out. 

When he's acres of time and space to do so, he often  fluffs his lines. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

A lovely goal.

Both Windass and Palmer took a look and knew what they were doing, and Paterson's finish was brilliant.

910938705_PatersonGoal.gif.30b6adfcac7355655e63c509d9fffcd9.gif

Cracking move. Been a while since we've played that sort of incisive football. 

As I said above with Palmer he didn't have time or slow down to take a couple of extra touches snd look around. Just control it, quick glance and aim at a blue n white shirt. 

• Like 1

Guest whowantstoberich
3 hours ago, Owly Mowly said:

I can’t decide if Palmers cross was a “just get rid of it” or a “finesse volley cross to the danger area” 

Who cares?
They’ve all been working hard in training apparently and as the saying goes ‘the harder you work, the luckier you get’

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Now where have I heard that before? lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prowl said:

I can’t work out if you genuinely mean that or are just on the wind up because there was nothing lucky about that goal - every part of it was intentional and deliberate. 

3 hours ago, prowl said:

No, it was a rehearsed move.

The only thing that didn't go according to plan was Windass switching the ball... imo you look at Bannan's reaction and I think he was the one that was meant to switch it... Windass simply had enough space to go about trying it himself.

Of course the fact the pass reached Palmer was a little bit lucky, of course the cross was a bit lucky (Palmer was probably told to either hit the edge of the box or the 6yard box and see what happens), and of course Paterson's finish would probably 9 times out of 10 not be a goal... of course all these little elements of luck came together... but that doesn't detract from the fact it was a clearly coached and intentioned passage of of play. 

If you're doing a piece of coached football, you "only" need two or three consecutive small slices of luck, or players on the ball to beat their market in some way, to result in a chance on goal. It's why so many well-coached teams create so many chances on goal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No, it was a rehearsed move.

The only thing that didn't go according to plan was Windass switching the ball... imo you look at Bannan's reaction and I think he was the one that was meant to switch it... Windass simply had enough space to go about trying it himself.

Of course the fact the pass reached Palmer was a little bit lucky, of course the cross was a bit lucky (Palmer was probably told to either hit the edge of the box or the 6yard box and see what happens), and of course Paterson's finish would probably 9 times out of 10 not be a goal... of course all these little elements of luck came together... but that doesn't detract from the fact it was a clearly coached and intentioned passage of of play. 

If you're doing a piece of coached football, you "only" need two or three consecutive small slices of luck, or players on the ball to beat their market in some way, to result in a chance on goal. It's why so many well-coached teams create so many chances on goal. 

I don’t think it was intentioned pre match though, that’s the point I think some are making. It happened in the moment. I doubt Windass meant to overhit the cross field ball to Palmer, and because it was overhit it caused Palmer to quickly smack it across goal before he lost control, when usually he’d sidefoot a floater into the box.

Magnificent goal, but defo think it just came by chance 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t think it was intentioned pre match though, that’s the point I think some are making. It happened in the moment. I doubt Windass meant to overhit the cross field ball to Palmer, and because it was overhit it caused Palmer to quickly smack it across goal before he lost control, when usually he’d sidefoot a floater into the box.

Every goal comes by chance

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Palmer looked up before he crossed it in. He appeared to intentionally cross it to Paterson. 

You are doing Windass, Paterson and Palmer (in particular) a real disservice to say it was all by chance. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But some are easily intentioned, like a simple through ball for a striker to latch on. This goal was more hit and hope 

Hit and hope isn't exactly fair.

With any goal, there is more often than not a degree of luck.

• Like 1