Worst Wednesday Xl ?

1 hour ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Agree

I really didn't like Proudlock, along with Bothroyd the biggest waste of talent I he seen for us.

Didn't proudlock have  a fling with one of the clubs directors daughter?

Edited by panda800

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

How about this for a worst Wednesday XI as it actually played a league game. I can't even work out what formation they were supposed to be playing as there seem to be about 7 defenders:

SWFC vs Plymouth (a), 2nd March 2004

GK: Ola Tidman

DF: Derek Geary

DF: Brian Barry-Murphy

DF: Dean Smith

DF: Jon Beswetherick (for the 2nd half, Graeme Lee started)

DF: Leigh Bromby

DF: Richard Wood

??: Adam Chambers (was he a defender as well?)

MF: Alan Quinn

FW: Jon Shaw

FW: Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu

This was my first ever Wednesday away game. Midweek. I was 8 or 9, parents lied to school and said I had a dentist appointment so I had to leave early.

Think this was when Sturrock was Plymouth manager and we lost 2-0 and barely touched the ball. But they came to Hillsborough later on in the season and gave us a right footballing lesson. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Agree with majority of that actually. 

Who was the Scottish ginger left back we had, played the single worst 90 minutes I've ever seen away at Dagenham & Redbridge. 

Reynolds.

Ended up having a good SPL career at Aberdeen and fans loved him. Was captain I think.

Think he just absolutely shat himself under the pressure of being at the club at a time where fans just weren’t happy. Think Michael Morrison had a similar issue. Both crumbled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewings said:

Adam Proudlock was a lot worse than Stevie May 

Saw Proudlock have some great games though. Away to Bristol City. Home to Barnsley. When he was on it he was great & clearly talented. His attitude was just appalling so we rarely saw it. 

Stevie May on the other hand never did anything to get me out of my seat or showed anything to suggest he had anymore hidden ability. One of the most limited strikers I’ve ever seen here. No pace, no strength, had one of the weakest shots I’ve ever seen for a striker. 

Possibly our fault as fans for hyping him up so much when he signed. Gone back to Scotland though and done nothing.

My memory seems to have blanked quite a few players from the mid 70,s (probably self preservation) , but out of ones i have seen with at least 10 appearances ;

Chris Adamson

Mark Reynolds

John Holsgrove

Dave Cusack

Peter Gilbert

Darren Wood

Steve Adams

Kenny Lunt

Paul Smith

Kim Olsen

Barry Corr

18 hours ago, torryowl said:

for the past year every day .......harvey was a class act sadly not for us  bloke could hardly walk and henson took tommo's place so  i wasnt going to remember him fondly .......you look at there records for us and it dont make good reading 

Tell you a story from those days. I was big mates with a first teamer and his brother and we used to go in the players lounge for a jar after games and I recall a lot of the players used to say why the f..k do some of the crowd have a go at Phil. And they were pretty scathing about those who did. This player told me because Phil was a bit ungainly tall and thin a few used to mistake this for a lack of skill. He also said that he was one of the most skilful in the side at that time. I know who I think is right.  I didn't know Phil all that well but he was one of the nicest most unassuming lads you could meet. I agree that Colin Harvey was past his best when he came to us we would have had to sell the ground to afford him in his pomp - Ball Kendall Harvey what would they be worth today. When he played at Hillsborough a couple of coach loads of Everton supporters used to come to watch him every game. He cant have been that bad.

• Thanks 1

So so many poor players over the years, difficult to be critical of players at the end of their careers, blame those who signed off on them. 

But David Graham, Maurice Ross, zigor Arlande, Bestwethick, Pecnik, Bothroyd and Branston must rank with some of the worst I've seen 

6 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I'm glad to see that no one else seems to have been there to witness Kenny Brannigan's sole appearance.

think that was the 6-1 at leicester and yes i saw it .....didnt he get hooked at half time and we went downhill after that .

On 07/04/2021 at 09:06, shezzas left peg said:

I was really happy about us signing Kenny lunt at the time, he'd always played a blinder against us for crewe and seemed to regularly pop upon the score sheet for them.... Disappointing. is probably the nicest way I can describe his time for us. 

Same. Standard signing for us

One or two of the following might be playing out of position but, then again, it wouldn't matter one jot:-

"Ole!" Tidman

Ian Hendon (although, to his credit, he did score a deflected free kick at the Stain)
Hugh Dowd (109 appearances!!!)
John Holsgrove
Barry Island Ferry

Barry Horne
Barry Coor
Barbara Taylor-Bradford
Colin Gregson

Jay Bothroyd
Francis Jeffers

4 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

One or two of the following might be playing out of position but, then again, it wouldn't matter one jot:-

"Ole!" Tidman

Ian Hendon (although, to his credit, he did score a deflected free kick at the Stain)
Hugh Dowd (109 appearances!!!)
John Holsgrove
Barry Island Ferry

Barry Horne
Barry Coor
Barbara Taylor-Bradford
Colin Gregson

Jay Bothroyd
Francis Jeffers

Should be an unwritten rule that anyone who’s scored for us against United gets a free pass regardless of how rubbish they were.

Its why Darren Potter isn’t in my squad. Those three corners will haunt me forever. But he scored a volley at the Kop end vs them lot, so he gets just enough credit for me.

Wade Small GK

Nuhiu RIGHT BACK

Stevie May Centre Back

Caolan lavery Centre back

Olifinjana left back

Chris Kirkland Right wing

Kieran Westwood centre mid

Lee grant centre mid

Brad Jones left wing

Martin Taylor striker

Chris Adamson striker

19 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Saw Proudlock have some great games though. Away to Bristol City. Home to Barnsley. When he was on it he was great & clearly talented. His attitude was just appalling so we rarely saw it. 

Stevie May on the other hand never did anything to get me out of my seat or showed anything to suggest he had anymore hidden ability. One of the most limited strikers I’ve ever seen here. No pace, no strength, had one of the weakest shots I’ve ever seen for a striker. 

Possibly our fault as fans for hyping him up so much when he signed. Gone back to Scotland though and done nothing.

Maybe your right...!

I remember a few years back going to Bolton away when Stuart Gray was in charge, the strike force was Nuhiu and May 

we dominated for 90 minutes had 24 shots and tbh Stevie May should have had a hat trick.

That was the best I ever saw him play and he still didn't score, sums him up.

22 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Agree

I really didn't like Proudlock, along with Bothroyd the biggest waste of talent I he seen for us.

So true.

He rocked up with the gold boots and the Beckham hair cut which is fine if you can play, but he hardly ever did.

Spent most of his Wednesday career like an actor looking the part.

• Like 1