Rhodes goals return

Not starting Rhodes every game is the reason we will not stay up 

Absolute criminal he was sat on the bench or sat at home 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Rhodes has looked okay most of this season. He has been especially good the past month. He is clearly more robust this season, looks sharper and is playing like a man not a boy.

It is utter nonsense it has anything to do with how we setup that has helped him.

How did Fletcher score all his goals for us?? They were still crosses into the box.

Jordan Rhodes was so, weak and ineffective for his first three seasons. Why that is I don't know. He has looked a footballer this season but I would argue it is more down to him then anything major we have changed like some strangely believe.

I repeat look at all of Fletcher goals.

You might care to know that Fletcher and Rhodes have scored at pretty much the same rate for Wednesday.

But on another point, Monk had Fletcher and Rhodes on his hands. When played together their record was outstanding. They scored at a ridiculous rate, the team scored at a phenomenal rate, and the team won points equating to automatic promotion form.

Monk didn’t rate the partnership so split them up. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You might care to know that Fletcher and Rhodes have scored at pretty much the same rate for Wednesday.

But on another point, Monk had Fletcher and Rhodes on his hands. When played together their record was outstanding. They scored at a ridiculous rate, the team scored at a phenomenal rate, and the team won points equating to automatic promotion form.

Monk didn’t rate the partnership so split them up. 

Maybe.

Would you not agree that Rhodes has definitely looked stronger, more mobile and more aggressive this season? Ignore the tactics and formations and just look at him as an individual. 

He actually looks half decent this year and it's because he seems fitter, stronger and more aggressive. So why was he so slow, weak and not fussed before. That is the issue.

1 minute ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Maybe.

Would you not agree that Rhodes has definitely looked stronger, more mobile and more aggressive this season? Ignore the tactics and formations and just look at him as an individual. 

He actually looks half decent this year and it's because he seems fitter, stronger and more aggressive. So why was he so slow, weak and not fussed before. That is the issue.

I’m in total agreement with most of this. If I didn’t know who he was I’d say he looks like a keen as mustard player, running his socks off for the team. He’s even been useful when defending! 
I can only assume the reason is he’s playing for a new contract in the Championship but it could be something else of course. Maybe his just got bored of sitting on the bench, or he’s worried there will be nowhere to sit once Paterson has smashed all of the seats!
The thing for me is that it doesn’t really matter now why he wasn’t cutting it before (his own attitude, coaching, some internal epiphany, not being played etc) as his time here is nearly done and if he goes out with a flourish it’s better than going out with a whimper.

We should have played him more this season IMO as because even if you think he’s rubbish we should have at least taken a gamble on him once it became blindingly obvious our other (limited) options weren’t getting results. 

Hopefully he’ll get a few more goals now to keep the debate going!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Maybe.

Thompson spoke in February of working with Rhodes to add aggression to his game and him needing some time to 'get his legs back together'.

It could be that he's responding to the coaching and the time to rebuild his fitness, perhaps?

I posted in another thread about the huge improvement in his all-round game in the recent Barnsley match - the stats were really remarkable. It's probably a bit late in the day for us to see a great deal of benefit from it, but fair play to him for continuing to work on his game at this late stage of his career.

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Maybe.

Actually no. 

The only difference I see is that he’s on the pitch, not in the stand.

I think it’s a myth put forward by fans who have slagged him off previously.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Actually no. 

I've defended Rhodes against some of the more outlandish criticism on here over the years, but I can certainly see an improvement in his game in recent weeks, and it seems you may be doing him a disservice to deny the fruits of the efforts and adaptations which Thompson alluded to a couple of months back.

Rhodes certainly suits the way we're playing at the moment, which hasn't been the case for much of his time here, but there's undoubtedly been an improvement in his individual contribution to our cause. He's had seasons where he's played more than he has so far this year, and yet this is his most effective spell in a Wednesday shirt. For me, he deserves some credit for continuing to work on his game.

As I've posted before regarding the recent Barnsley game...

Rhodes' ability in the penalty box has never been in doubt, but it's his all-round game which has really improved in recent weeks.

Yes, he got the two goals, but that's to be expected with the chances that were laid on for a goal-poacher such as him, and that's never been the issue with his game. But consider some of the other aspects which were much-improved from previous performances:

Rhodes won 8 aerial duels in the Barnsley game, which is double his previous best tally for the season, and also way above his average of 4.6 per 90 mins in a Wednesday shirt.

He played 28 passes, which is 11 more than his previous best for the season and again way ahead of his average of 19 per 90 mins whilst playing for Wednesday (although weirdly his passing accuracy of 39.3% was his lowest of the season so far).

It was only the third game this season in which he's got more than 2 shots away.

And here's a really crazy one...he even completed two dribbles, which is more than he's managed in all of his previous appearances this season combined, and accounts for 40% of the total successful dribbles he's ever performed whilst playing for Wednesday!

I know Thompson spoke of Rhodes having a bit of time last month to 'get his legs back together' and being spoken to about adding 'a bit of aggression', but fair play to Rhodes for seemingly responding to the coaching and feedback he was given.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Actually no. 

It’s not actually true though. 

He has had plenty of chances and runs of games and shown nothing. 

He looked like the modern game was passing him by. It’s only this season he’s looked half decent. 

8 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

I’m in total agreement with most of this. If I didn’t know who he was I’d say he looks like a keen as mustard player, running his socks off for the team. He’s even been useful when defending! 
I can only assume the reason is he’s playing for a new contract in the Championship but it could be something else of course. Maybe his just got bored of sitting on the bench, or he’s worried there will be nowhere to sit once Paterson has smashed all of the seats!
The thing for me is that it doesn’t really matter now why he wasn’t cutting it before (his own attitude, coaching, some internal epiphany, not being played etc) as his time here is nearly done and if he goes out with a flourish it’s better than going out with a whimper.

We should have played him more this season IMO as because even if you think he’s rubbish we should have at least taken a gamble on him once it became blindingly obvious our other (limited) options weren’t getting results. 

Hopefully he’ll get a few more goals now to keep the debate going!

The Jordan Rhodes and SWFC story is painful.

Signed him for a club record fee when we didn’t need him and had a cluster of strikers all better then him. 

Then this season when we did need him majority of managers didn’t use him! 

Mad!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Thompson spoke in February of working with Rhodes to add aggression to his game and him needing some time to 'get his legs back together'.

It could be that he's responding to the coaching and the time to rebuild his fitness, perhaps?

I posted in another thread about the huge improvement in his all-round game in the recent Barnsley match - the stats were really remarkable. It's probably a bit late in the day for us to see a great deal of benefit from it, but fair play to him for continuing to work on his game at this late stage of his career.

Exactly. Rhodes is a better player this. 

He is still a pretty basic striker but he has added to his game. I remember Thompson saying that too and his endeavour and determination has improved this season. 

What always saved Rhodes in terms of his undeniable and unwavering fan club was he would have the odd game where he scored 3 at Forest or a goal here and there. Then he would have a run of three or four games where he contributed absolutely nothing, and it would be everyone’s fault bar Jordan and his ability or application. He’s had chances it’s a myth that he hasn’t. 

If Rhodes had been as determined, strong and mobile as he has this season - he would have had loads of games and would have played a lot more. What we saw in games many managers must have seen in training . 

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

It’s not actually true though. 

He has had plenty of chances and runs of games and shown nothing. 

He looked like the modern game was passing him by. It’s only this season he’s looked half decent. 

It’s neither true nor false, it’s opinion. And I disagree with yours.

He hasn’t changed his game. Perhaps his confidence yes, but that comes from being played regularly.

25 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He hasn’t changed his game. Perhaps his confidence yes, but that comes from being played regularly.

Undoubtedly one of the great joys of football is people can watch the same thing and think differently about it!

For what it’s worth I do think his game has improved over the last few months. Is improvement the same as change? Not sure. I’ve seen so few starts from him until recently it’s difficult to really remember what he was like in previous seasons!  Anyway, for me he’s definitely shown that not playing him as a starting striker this season given our other options and lack of goals, was atrocious decision making by our managers. 
Would it have kept us up? God knows. But it’s hard to see we would have scored less!

It might even have kept Monk in his job. 

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We typically see eye to eye on things, so I'm quite surprised, but I just can't wrap my head around this one.

Rhodes in the latest outings looks a completely different player (and a more complete player).  He's contributed more in the defensive half of the pitch and without the ball in the last four games than he has in the last four years as far as I can see, and I think that's plainly obvious from even a casual glance.  There were times when he was on the pitch previously that he could have been replaced by a fan walking around carrying a Jordan Rhodes cardboard cut out.

areNOTwhatTHEYseem was on point with the data he alluded to in an earlier post - I hadn't perused any stats, but reading that seems to reflect what I felt I was seeing watching the games.

Much the same could be said for his scoring, for that matter.

Rhodes had five goals in ~1591 minutes in his entire first season, and he's now at four goals in his last 391 minutes.  He has more goals in the last 391 minutes than he did in the preceding 1120 minutes.

Even if you don't believe the opinion and subjective analysis, the numbers aren't telling any lies.

He's a different player out there, and far more involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indoor Owl said:

We typically see eye to eye on things, so I'm quite surprised, but I just can't wrap my head around this one.

Rhodes in the latest outings looks a completely different player (and a more complete player).  He's contributed more in the defensive half of the pitch and without the ball in the last four games than he has in the last four years as far as I can see, and I think that's plainly obvious from even a casual glance.  There were times when he was on the pitch previously that he could have been replaced by a fan walking around carrying a Jordan Rhodes cardboard cut out.

areNOTwhatTHEYseem was on point with the data he alluded to in an earlier post - I hadn't perused any stats, but reading that seems to reflect what I felt I was seeing watching the games.

Much the same could be said for his scoring, for that matter.

Rhodes had five goals in ~1591 minutes in his entire first season, and he's now at four goals in his last 391 minutes.  He has more goals in the last 391 minutes than he did in the preceding 1120 minutes.

Even if you don't believe the opinion and subjective analysis, the numbers aren't telling any lies.

He's a different player out there, and far more involved.

I’m hardly going to argue this strongly. I’m just delighted that we’ve finally done the obvious, and pick our only striker.

I do think you are wrong. If we go into Lockdown 7, and you are at a real loose end, watch a few “old” games where Rhodes started, such as Cardiff, Watford or Swansea early season, or Brentford, Derby or Bristol City last season. I think you’ll see a similar overall player, but not the goals. And let’s all be honest, we all judge strikers by goals scored, and rightly so. 

We used to slate Rhodes for his absence of goals. Now that he is scoring we also appreciate his all-round contribution more.

But look at those recent goals. Why is he scoring all of a sudden?

Cardiff - cross ball from the right from the fight-footed Paterson

Barnsley - cross ball from the right from the right-footed Windass

Barnsley - cross from the left from the left-footed Bannan

Norwich - poacher

Wycombe - cross from the right from the right-footed Harris

Bournemouth - cross from the right from the right-footed Harris

So there you have the improvement. It’s the team, not Rhodes. He does what he’s always did - make well-timed natural goal-seeker runs. It’s just that now we feed those runs.

That said, there’s no question that he is ‘playing better’ but name me a striker that doesn’t play better when they start every game and are finding the net. Rooney once went on a 10 game barren run, followed by 10 in 10. Fletcher’s second season saw him score twice in 18 games. Now he’s the shoe-in striker long May that inevitable confidence last.....well 7 games at least.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 12:21, kirksandallowl said:

There was one piece of play that is often overlooked, in the second half after a Cardiff attack the ball broke to Rhodes on half way towards the north stand, there was nothing on but he managed to get his body between ball and defender and drew a free kick in the way Hooper used to do expertly, thus reliving the pressure.  He does this quite a lot.

Exactly. Rhodes does it now and then and a lot of you say great, Hooper used to do that several times every game he played.

Guest wilyfox

We’ve struggled to score for 2-3yrs. Paterson, Windass, and Rhodes are our top scorers. Paterson’s positional versatility enables us to work all 3 into the starting XI, which is a good thing. They each bring different attributes, and we lose something when any of them don’t play. The 3-pronged attack seems to work. It did against Cardiff and Barnsley. Maybe changing it for Watford was a mistake.